It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Financial Engineering (Episode 2)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I made a thread 2 weeks ago about this new podcast called "Paradise Lost Financial Podcast" (Episode 1: Phantom Finance and they have continue to release new content since. There are 2 new episodes and Episode 2 is focused on a topic I have always been intrigued by - Financial Engineering:

How the government calculates "Real GDP" using a GDP Deflator (instead of Consumer Price Index) to account for inflation to downplay real inflation/increasing prices for consumers...

The Chapwood Inflation Index shows inflation at about 10% in the top 50 cities in the US but the Bureau of Labor Statistics says it is negative 0.1% (liars)

EBITDA & Core Earnings & how publicly-traded companies use non-GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) to mislead investors about their profitability

Episode 2: Financial Engineering

Great podcast, worth listening to if you care about personal finance and economics. Anyone else listening to this channel?
edit on 28-6-2020 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Thanks for the suggestions. I've recently gotten into investing, and always had an interest in politics and now economics.
I know enough to get me in trouble (thankfully I've been extremely lucky recently), but I've been pouring over content to try and fill my knowledge gaps.

I'll give these a listen this week sometime.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I dunno,

the price index is in flux all the time, in a pandemic, it would be all over the shop, and the 'basket' means nothing.

GDP also means nothing if nobody is, or cannot, buy a product like motor cars, of any description...witness the thousands of cars sitting in aerodromes everywhere, while you can still buy a car, probably well discounted...if, you have the money.

So, basically in this pandemic, you have the same situation as the banking crisis..too big to fail, while those who seemed big, will fail, and are failing, and there is the need to understand that there is not really a shortage of the 'little basket' product and so far, we can't even blame 'global warming' on this virus.

Governments otherwise will encourage use of products of the GDP, Trump for instance would like us in the UK to buy American 'bleached' chicken...Jesus, that's not the first time he has used the word 'bleached'

posted on Jul, 6 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

--------------Trump for instance would like us in the UK to buy American 'bleached' chicken...Jesus, t...

as I understand the Term 'Bleached' (chicken or beef)….

after the meat is separated from the bone (chicken carcass or beef bones) the recoverable meat that remains attached is removed by chemicals -- the process is called 'bleaching' and is used famously for the recoverable beef used for Mexican Taco meat...
You can find unique packages of this TACO Meat on the shelves of the refrigerated meat displays @ Walmart Grocery Stores at a reduced price

be sure you take medication which protects you from getting Gout if you are thinking about consuming this meat protein source, on-the-cheap (( Allopurinol is one such preventive medication, it is a legacy drug & not costly)

new topics

top topics

join