It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi legislature starts process to change state's flag

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I never thought I'd see the day that Mississippi of all places would vote to make this change. I'm pleasantly surprised:

The Mississippi state legislature -- both the House and Senate -- passed a resolution on Saturday that will begin the process to change the state's flag.

The newly passed resolution suspends the rules so that lawmakers can consider a bill that would change or remove the flag. First, the Mississippi House of Representatives passed the measure in a vote of 85-34 amid loud cheers in the chamber, followed by the Senate in a vote of 36-14.
The passage of the measure in both chambers now leads the way for a bill to be proposed and passed to allow for the change of the state flag. The bill is expected to be taken up on Sunday afternoon, when both the House and Senate go back into session.

Source

Both houses in Mississippi? Controlled by majority Republicans? There's certainly a shift going on. Never anticipated that would take this full steam. I've also read that the governor has agreed to sign legislation if it passes through both houses so it's looking like this bill will be upheld. Heck, even if for some reason this doesn't pass, the distance it's gotten in one of the reddest deep south states is nothing short of historic.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

OK , so they Change their Flag , then What ? A Leopard can Never Change it's Spots Yall ........

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Yay I guess.
Changing it now just feels like virtue signaling.
Does that make sense?

Like they are just changing so they don’t have to hear about it instead of actually believing it’s the right thing to do.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

OK , so they Change their Flag , then What ? A Leopard can Never Change it's Spots Yall ........

The last time I checked, the Confederacy lost the war. All we see now is a dead horse.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Looks like the fallacies of all Republicans being auto-racist are being debunked and proven BS 😎🚬

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   

" The last time I checked, the Confederacy lost the war. All we see now is a dead horse. "

American History is Written in Stone . You Cannot Change it , Only Learn from it's Mistakes . Ignorant People cannot Understand that , and have No Right Telling Others who Do to somehow Deny their Heritage for the sake of Bringing Anarchy to the United States Of America for their " Own Good " ......... .

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
When do we change the US flag since it is so racist?

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

We don’t

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Almost every flag has some inherently racist history behind it. My gripe with the Confederacy stems along the fact they were traitorous scum that turned on the Union and lost out in the end. They have no place the in future movement of the country. No need to get rid of the current US flag. It remains relevant.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Hide and watch as my dad use to say. They will get their way.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Almost every flag has some inherently racist history behind it. My gripe with the Confederacy stems along the fact they were traitorous scum that turned on the Union and lost out in the end. They have no place the in future movement of the country. No need to get rid of the current US flag. It remains relevant.

They were exercising their states right to leave the union.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

The Confederacy lasted 4.5 years.

Bruno Sammartino's longest title reign was 7.5 years.

The claim that defending Confederate monuments is about heritage is bull#. Unless of course you're going to start arguing we need at least 1.5 Bruno Samnartino statues for every Confederate statue.

Which I totally wouldn't be opposed to.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Learn history .
Do not go by what you neighbor told you .

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Oh boy.

I guess Mississippi as we know it is about to be erased from all history and vanish into the ether 💁🏼

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

No, but there won’t be any more racism in Mississippi after the flag is changed.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

They were exercising their states right to leave the union

States rights based on what? The supreme court settled the matter of secession so there's little basis for the above. Also, exercising their right by firing and murdering their fellow countryman and starting a war that lead to 600k+ deaths? Almost preventing the full birth of the greatest nation in the world?

Yea no.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I wonder what flag would be replacing it, they have been floating the idea of using the Stinnis flag.Will they also bulldoze Beauvoir and replace it with section eight?
edit on th0641kAmerica/Chicagoth by SmikeS because: Bill gates

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Did they start the war?
It’s kind of a point of view.

The confederate army fired the first shot but it was on their side of the border.
The union refused to leave southern territory.

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The confederate army fired the first shot but it was on their side of the border.

What border? They fired within US soil at their own countryman. Traitors, turned on their very own.

edit on 28-6-2020 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

No I go by what Thomas Jefferson wrote about states rights.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join