It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Win10 Hard drive eater!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I use a tablet for watching YouTube etc in bed, but since I got it its filled itself up with just a couple of meg left on the drive now?
Looked for tmp files, log files things like that and hidden folders, all to no avail.

Any ideas where my HD's gone and how to clean it out.

There are no other programs like Office Photoshop etc...

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Web Cache

All those yt vids probably cached in the browser. Look for an option to clear the cache.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Depends on the operating system its running.

Is it an iPad or some form of Android, Microsoft, etc.?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Thread title says Win10

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
NVM tablet
edit on 6/25/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Thread title says Win10

Totally missed that Ive hit my limit I guess!

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What are the specs on the tablet? If you don't know what is the model number someone can look them up real fast with a duckduckgo search with that info.

I have an IPad and have never had problems with it. I don't know if Windows tablets have Ccleaner available for it. But you might want to check the Microsoft store and type it in search and if they have it download it and run it. It might free up some unused info you don't need.

Also check your download folder you might have some files there taking up space you don't need. Also any pics or videos you've taken they will eventually take up space. If you have a lot of space then that might not be a problem. But since we don't know anything about the tablet not much else to say.
edit on 25-6-2020 by Adreamunfulfilled because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Tie No Bows!

What is the total size of the hard drive?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Like others have mentioned. What are the specs on the tablet?

Hard drive size, memory, cpu etc.

Meanwhile try disk cleanup.
support.microsoft.com...

Also is hibernation enabled on the tablet? Might want to disable that as well.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

If it's a $100 or less laptop/tablet. Windows ate your hard drive. But the hard drive was small to begin with because the device is made to only surf the web and read email etc.

I looked for another OS to run on one and it was designed for Windows pretty much. Some folks where trying to get a Linux release working for it. This was a few years ago and there may be a release now. It would be worth checking out.

edit on 25-6-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The deal with Win 10 on the desktop is that it doesn't get rid of any of the updates. My mom for example gets warning all the time that her hard drive is filled up and there's nothing I can do about it other than an external drive. It's full because of the updates that install on top of the last one. You can delete them but keep in mind that you're probably reverting to an older version and you'll have the same problem. You didn't think that Win10 would be smooth sailing did you?

Settings, then System.
Left side menu, choose Storage.
Select the option to delete the previous installation of Windows 10.
Wait for Windows to gather the files and delete them.

You can use disk cleanup. It's officially not in Win10 but it's still on the system.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

All of which is why I am looking into Chromebooks. Appears to me Win10 is applicable to business purposes.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS
I got the wife a chromebook because it was easy with all the google products and inexpensive.
Then I had to buy her an iPad because her fam all uses iphones & can't adjust to anything different - her mom's in a facility, you know covid19 death trap, with no visitors so she needed to be able to F2F.
The one really BAD thing is the directed ads, messages etc. that google sends for everything - and how just about anything she searches shows up as spam. Privacy and limited fuinctionality are weaknesses, although the limited function is sold as a feature with its tight integration to google online products.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Hit the start button, type in ‘disk cleanup’.
Removed temp files and old windows update files.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Just to add...many tabs have only 1g, 2g...and are 3/4 hogged at purchase to begin w

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

It's a tablet. None of those settings

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
a reply to: TonyS
I got the wife a chromebook because it was easy with all the google products and inexpensive.
Then I had to buy her an iPad because her fam all uses iphones & can't adjust to anything different - her mom's in a facility, you know covid19 death trap, with no visitors so she needed to be able to F2F.
The one really BAD thing is the directed ads, messages etc. that google sends for everything - and how just about anything she searches shows up as spam. Privacy and limited fuinctionality are weaknesses, although the limited function is sold as a feature with its tight integration to google online products.
ganjoa

Re-read your reply. Very well put, thanks

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   
That is always an very annoying issue with Win10 and windows update thinking it has unlimited space.
As someone above already mentioned i would use 'disk cleanup' it is a great and simple tool.

A other tool i would suggest to use to see what is using up all your disk space = SpaceMonger
Very old tool but should still work on Win10. The image explains it best:

Site: Link

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Standard OEM Win 10 with what ever updates it gave itself since I got it. Bout 3-4 years maybe?

I do use CC Cleaner and genrally thats ok, but not for this problem it seems. I just know this is something dumb, sloppy update management sounds like it could fit the bill.So....just flatten the thing and run it till it hits the wall again may be the way to go.
Isnt it crazy that they release product after product, that needs updated since the day you bought it? So we been through DOS/Windows/Workgroups/ XP/'7' which seemed okay, but in their wisdom theyre mot 'supporting' that anymore! LOL
I'll keep looking and thanks for the suggestions guys.

Samsung: Just something for reference, we have a large internet tv, that refused to play YouTube after their last system update and Samsung not wanting to pay up. I found a work around, Samsung uses some hinky OS, its sorta Android but not fully and the OS will not let you add apps without permission.

I searched for YouTube/m thats apparently a 'mobile' version rather than the one that came with the tv.So if any friends have that Samsung/YouTube compatibility glitch, theres the solution.

Thanks guys!

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Given its a tablet you know its a cheaper end of the rainbow than other solutions.

Tablets especially up to a certain point sold with MS saying they were fine but really that was just taking the proverbial.

Theres a general rule i'd like made law that you should always spec 4 times what you need as at least by the time it becomes a problem you are so far behind the curve its like trying to drag a model t ford into the latest regs.

top topics

join