It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driving with cell phones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   
On July first, indiana, my state, goes hands free joining more than 20 other states.
Having a cell phone in your hand with the car in motion will be illegal.

The reason that this law was passed was to make roads safer.
Now the serious question.
Will this actually make the roads safer?

Listening to the lawmakers you would think that cars are piling up like cord wood.
Numbers don't lie.
When these laws go into effect there should be a measurable difference in the number of auto accidents.
So far I have not been able to find a source that shows significant changes im the numbers.

www.wndu.com...

Opinions?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The issue is they don't teach new drivers how to work the wheel with your knees, we'd be able to make calls that way without having to worry about collisions or distracted drivers.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Just another way for the state to collect revenue from an already over taxed population. And it gives a new excuse for the police to pull you over and check your papers. Not that they needed any more.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Maryland did this a while ago. I can't tell you how many cops Ive passed with their phones pressed up against their ears.

Mostly, it's just an excuse to pull people over.

edit on 25-6-2020 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Law isn't going to do much good for the morons that put their phone on their leg and text while driving.

Some days I want to get into my old 89 F250 and play bumber cars with people crossing the yellow line while distracted, all over on the back roads where I live.
Pretty sure ole joleene would win.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Well, have you ever been running late to work, sitting at a red light and the jerk in front of you doesnt go on the green cause he is on the phone texting. Really ticks me off.
edit on 25-6-2020 by cognizant420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: cognizant420

Yes I have.
But I remember the same thing happening long before cell phones.

Do you believe the roads will be measurably safer?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

Maryland did this a while ago. I can't tell you how many cops Ive passed with their phones pressed up against their ears.

Mostly it just an excuse to pull people over.

I can attest to that, I see them all the time too.
They say that they are allowed to use technology while driving and that they are even trained to do so.
Maybe they should use their training time for better purposes.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   

They also have a lap top computer...

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   

In Georgia, the police are exempt from the law while in the course of their duties.

edit on 25-6-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

In Georgia, the police are excepted from the law while in the course of their duties.

No way that could ever contribute to the current issues in our country....

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   

When these laws go into effect there should be a measurable difference in the number of auto accidents.
So far I have not been able to find a source that shows significant changes im the numbers.

Data suggest yes, although slightly, but since the law is so new, it's hard to say for sure.

Georgia’s Hands-Free Law 1 Year Later: 3% Decrease in Road Fatalities

But the information does not paint a complete picture of the effects of the law. Authorities say it will be three to five years before data is comprehensive enough to analyze trends in highway safety.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

In Georgia, the police are excepted from the law while in the course of their duties.

No way that could ever contribute to the current issues in our country....

That law being the hand-free law only.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

3% is just as likely a year to year variable.
Not to mention that this should include total accidents and not just fatalities.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

3% is just as likely a year to year variable.
Not to mention that this should include total accidents and not just fatalities.

Hence the quote.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Just being on the phone can cause accidents, even though it is hands free. I used to have a bag phone mounted on the dash and could dial it without taking my eyes off the road, dialing with the screen on the dash is much harder, I suppose you could use voice activation but I do not trust that, I got called by my brother because he mentioned my name to his wife's father while driving down the highway. He said he just mentioned to him that he has to call rick when he gets back into town and it dialed me. I was listening to them talk before I said anything, it is like a butt dial...they thought I was the radio at first when I said something. I won't use voice activation for calling.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I remember my brother being on the phone while he was giving me a lift. I did not feel particularly safe, especially when he was going round the roundabouts.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   

On July first, indiana, my state, goes hands free joining more than 20 other states.
Having a cell phone in your hand with the car in motion will be illegal.

Listening to the lawmakers you would think that cars are piling up like cord wood.
Numbers don't lie.

www.wndu.com...

Opinions?

In my EMT responses...I've scene some crazy stuff. Naked, talking and driving...but the 1 that took the cake was this "20-something" young lady was: driving, talking on the phone, eating a sandwich...while putting mascara on.

Hit the breaks suddenly..lost the wheel, sandwich, mascara...but not the phone...

MS
edit on 25-6-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Far too many distractions in cars these days.

I think regulators should outlaw the touch screens / ipads in cars and go back to analog dashboards.

Hands free cell phone is easier but you are still distracted while driving.

It wasn't until I started riding motorcycles that I really understood how bad most people drive. Being exposed on a motorcycle; particularly in an urban environment with heavy traffic, really gives you clarity on how little people pay attention driving.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What if I get one of those cars with automatic pilot ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join