It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defund Google : Support alternative search engines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I have sent something like the following to several new sites over the de-listing of this site and others due to "controversial" speech . Not sure this best subforum, but probably as good as any. Feel free to copy/change/distribute .

The new Google mantra - If you cant beat them, BAN them!

I think its time everyone starts hitting Google where it hurts by promoting alternative search engines. I believe DuckDuckgo.com is best alternative, but there are others - www.rankred.com... The duck search also promotes privacy which many people find appealing.

A forum I visit is looking at shutting down b/c Google has de-listed them for conservative speech.
"Then, through 2015 we'd receive daily notices that URLs (entire threads really) were being delisted from the ad platform. For a time, just about all of them were threads critical of Hillary Clinton."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"Those green lines represent known changes to Google's algorithm. The last one in early May has essentially de-platformed us from search."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Recently they removed all of Mercolas videos from Youtube.
articles.mercola.com...

Alternative health sites have noticed the censorship
anh-usa.org...
www.theepochtimes.com...
selfhack.com...

Fox has done a few articles as well.
www.foxnews.com...
www.foxbusiness.com...

Google is the new Microsoft, throwing its weight around because they think they are the only game in town. However, I believe things could shift quickly if enough people promote alternative search.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 111DPKING111

I mostly use DuckDuckGo, for a long time now.

Google search does have a few handy features though. Mostly when I use it I use a "private" browser.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I never heard of duckduckgo..
Gonna look it up now.

I've used google forever.
Yahoo was my search engine before Google.
I'll take a look at DDG and see how it works on Ipad.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Yeah, ddg isn’t as good as google but it’s sufficient as a search engine, I only use ddg because I dislike monopolies and their power
Controlling speech on the net is frightening

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Defund Google, totally agree. As the saying goes, if you're gonna act like a #$%^, I'm gonna treat you like a @#$%.

Been using DDG for ages, I can certainly say I don't miss anything about google, quite the opposite in fact.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If you want to see why to use DDG over Google all you need to do is test them side by side with any conservative leanings inquiry. The results speak for themselves.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   
En what browser you guys use?

I normally use Chrome, that's Google to.
I tried "Brave" some time ago, but somehow i went back to chrome.
Maybe i should revisited Brave to see how it works now.

I do however like the synchronization and backup chrome does on all my devices, although i understand that i give things out of hand that way.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This is a bad idea. Google definitely has it's downsides but they are also very useful and an overall good. There are already alternative search engines and Google gives us unlimited access to free video content every single day. You can sit down and watch Youtube completely free all day long for the rest of your life.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a fan of some of the things Google does but I also think that they have some good side effects even if you don't agree with them.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant
En what browser you guys use?

I normally use Chrome, that's Google to.
I tried "Brave" some time ago, but somehow i went back to chrome.
Maybe i should revisited Brave to see how it works now.

I do however like the synchronization and backup chrome does on all my devices, although i understand that i give things out of hand that way.

Swapped to Opera GX, kind of a gaming browser but allows you control over how much CPU/Memory the browser can use which is nice.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Doesn't Duck use Bing's algorithm?

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I mostly use DuckDuckGo, for a long time now.

Google search does have a few handy features though. Mostly when I use it I use a "private" browser.

Does DuckDuckGo have more than one tab to use? I have used it before but never found that feature being a leave as many tabs open as I can type of searcher.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Google wont go away, and if it becomes well known that they are censoring the internet, they will be forced to change as well.

Some searches for computer errors can be tricky as they often correlate with other problems, but not your problem. Now on top of that, you may not find the page that could help b/c a a site was de-listed(many blogs cover multiple topics), you are almost forced to at least check other search engines now that you know they censoring.

From a health standpoint, mainstream health sites arent much good for autism and cancer treatment. I personally had an issue with scar tissue pinching my small intestine and the hospital solution is eat smaller meals and deal with getting your stomach pumped for 3 days occasionally. After much searching, it turns out that can all be avoided by taking serrapeptase to keep the scar tissue in check, but you wont find that on the Mayo or CDC website.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Doesn't Duck use Bing's algorithm?

This PAGE does a comparison between DDG and Google.

DuckDuckGo uses its web crawler, DuckDuckBot, and up to 400 other sources to compile its search results, including other search engines like Bing, Yahoo, and Yandex, and crowdsourcing sites like Wikipedia.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   

So it sounds like that's a yes that it uses Bing.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, DDG is just as bad as google. I used Startpage for a while until it went crazy recently.
All those search engines are still compromised, they just offer a more anonymous search. They still censor and only show you what the official narrative is.
I use DDG at the moment for normal searches but if I want nitty gritty detail I refer to YANDEX. It's russian and probably also monitored, but if you want results like in the early 2000s, Yandex is your go to.

I tried to search for Bill Gates' conspiracies and none came up on my Startpage, I only got 7 results, all of them positive.
I went on Yandex and had hundreds of hits with all the juicy bits I was looking for.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Who only uses one search engine?

Why?!?!?!

They all have strengths and weaknesses, and almost every browser supports enough tabs to have a half dozen different search engines running as required.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I did a few searches to confirm, there is definitely some overlap.

The main goal I have in mind is to do what Chrome and Firefox did to Internet Explorer. They forced MS into standards compliance by gaining market share. It didnt matter if Chrome or Firefox were superior browsers if no one used them.

Thats where it hurts, if Google loses market share, to whoever, they will walk a little softer once that ad revenue starts to shrink.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Who only uses one search engine?

Why?!?!?!

They all have strengths and weaknesses, and almost every browser supports enough tabs to have a half dozen different search engines running as required.

Well certainly your argument carries even more weight now that we know Google is de-listing websites.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
I use DDG at the moment for normal searches but if I want nitty gritty detail I refer to YANDEX. It's russian and probably also monitored, but if you want results like in the early 2000s, Yandex is your go to.

Going to start mentioning yandex.com and yippy.com as additional alternatives in future emails.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 111DPKING111
Going to start mentioning yandex.com and yippy.com as additional alternatives in future emails.

If you ever get the feeling that things may have changed, or you want to reference the "old" product listings...

Internet Archive Search

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join