It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JPO releases pics of F-35A DCA testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The JPO has released pictures of various F-35A airframes at Edwards performing DCA testing with inert B61-12s. The first test was performed June 27, 2019 with AF-1, flown by Jason Shulze. Tests ran between then and April 2, 2020 when AF-6 dropped a weapon. Nuclear capability is expected with Block 4, and certification is expected in January 2023.

It is not a secret that the F-35A, the CTOL (Convetional Take Off and Landing) variant of the Lightning II aircraft, will be dual capable aircraft (DCA), meaning that it will have the ability to deliver nuclear ordnance as well as conventional weapons. Such dual capability is expected to be included in the Block 4 software release, with initial capability for the B61-12 weapon. Although the F-35A DCA is scheduled to achieve nuclear certification in January, 2023, testing at the 461st FLTS, the test squadron that oversees developmental testing of all variants of the fifth-generation F-35 Lightning II at Edwards Air Force Base, California, has started in 2019.

Images just released by the F-35 Joint Program Office (the Department of Defense’s agency responsible for developing and acquiring the F-35A/B/C) show various drop tests of inert nuclear bombs between 2019 and 2020.

theaviationist.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
From what I read, there are only around 400 of the new B61-12 intended to be produced. We already have more planes that are capable of deploying them than bombs, but I can certainly see why they would want their best planes to have this capability.
Heck, you could probably strap one to a crop duster if you had to.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
only around 400

Only 400 nuclear bombs?! You dont carpet bomb these things!

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick

only around 400

They're a variable-yield weapon. They can be used for tactical bombing. They're not necessarily intended to do 400 Hiroshimas.

You also may need to deploy them to different places at once, depending on circumstances.

And bombs also need maintenance, so you need enough to rotate in and out of service.

All those things contribute to a legitimate need for a few hundred of them.
edit on 23 6 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

After using the first dozen it really doesn't matter how many you've left.

Nuclear gravity bombs are an outdated concept. The B61-12 should have been canceled in favor of the LRSO, or even better, a nuclear variant of the JASSM-XR.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
a reply to: face23785

After using the first dozen it really doesn't matter how many you've left.

Nuclear gravity bombs are an outdated concept. The B61-12 should have been canceled in favor of the LRSO, or even better, a nuclear variant of the JASSM-XR.

I'd agree the gravity bombs aren't ideal, but I'm all for maintaining multiple delivery options.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   

what about the spinny tail video that came out

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

only around 400

They're a variable-yield weapon. They can be used for tactical bombing. They're not necessarily intended to do 400 Hiroshimas.

You also may need to deploy them to different places at once, depending on circumstances.

And bombs also need maintenance, so you need enough to rotate in and out of service.

I am not sure carpet bombing is tactical however, my point was that 400 variable yield nuclear bombs is not an 'only 400' comment, its a fair amount and it was tongue in cheek.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

only around 400

I am not sure carpet bombing is tactical however, my point was that 400 variable yield nuclear bombs is not an 'only 400' comment, its a fair amount and it was tongue in cheek.

I didn't claim carpet bombing was tactical. They're not gonna use them for carpet bombing.

And I apologize, it's hard to tell sometimes. There's a number of people on these forums that are completely clueless about nuclear weapons and have bought into all the environmentalist propaganda.

new topics

top topics

join