It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT ATTENTION The Time is Now to Save ATS!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: KKLOCO
a reply to: Nyiah

are you all willing to commit to weeding out the toxicity and return it to its former glory?

Reread and truly listen to what you just said.

Is our entire world at its glory? Even close?

You post here OFTEN for a reason.

Do not discredit the efforts of private individuals — trying to keep your free speech platform alive.

If you don’t like the Pit — don’t click on it. Pure and simple.

I didn't say get rid of the Pit. I wouldn't mind seeing it poof, but I didn't say that. What I implied, and probably should have said, was more attentive moderation where applicable. SUCH AS, outside of the Pit, instead of removing entire posts with one smarmy line in it, but otherwise good content, just remove the smarm.

Jesus people, if you can't manage that simple of a procedure shift that meets everything in the middle, then why bother taking it on in the first place?

Interestingly enough a few of the more vocal members here that have signed up at that other site are there complaining about the lefties on this site, they really can't handle their world views being challenged.

Really?
What are they saying?

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: UKTruth

But, I am not sure why the focus is making money?

Because without a viable business model and cash in the bank for unforeseen expenses you won't break even. You'll always be behind the curve operating on thin margins.

Break-even means break-even.
The 'buyers' need to determine upfront whether the goal is to make money or just maintain the community.
Breaking even means that you cover expenses, which includes unforeseen expenses.

Are you now, or have you ever been in business? If so, you should understand what I'm talking about. If not, then your response is understandable.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

But, I am not sure why the focus is making money?

Because without a viable business model and cash in the bank for unforeseen expenses you won't break even. You'll always be behind the curve operating on thin margins.

Break-even means break-even.
The 'buyers' need to determine upfront whether the goal is to make money or just maintain the community.
Breaking even means that you cover expenses, which includes unforeseen expenses.

Are you now, or have you ever been in business? If so, you should understand what I'm talking about. If not, then your response is understandable.

Yeah, I have had my own business for years and am now semi-retired.
I will reiterate, break-even means breakeven. It does not mean scrape by and hope the sh*t never hits the fan.
Cashflow is always critical, but that has nothing to do with the different decisions a business can make based on whether the goal is profit or break-even. That is why it is critical to decide the direction early.
For example,
Profit - a forum is never going to be profitable to any significant extent, thus any plan would need to understand the revenue streams that can be added - and I would suggest for ATS much of that revolves around content creation.
Breakeven - understand the optimal cost structure to maintain the product and focus efforts only on meeting those costs and keeping enough on-hand cash.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What exactly are you asking for, specifically

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I can’t say much. But I will say this to all the naysayers, we have some brilliant techy minds working on this.

The 25k a month operating costs SO mentioned — can be drastically reduced.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Definitely willing to pay $10 a month. All my spare money goes toward a high-risk, hopefully high-yield venture.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Pm sent to FCD.

I hope you succeed. I'm not an active poster here but I visit quite often. The idea of free speech is quickly crumbling to dust before our eyes, and this site is the only beacon, as far as I can see, that is trying to hold that ship afloat. There's too much good material here for it to simply vanish into the ether. I don't care for the politics that's ramped up but rather UFO's and other weirdness.

Help us Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bent8484

Absolutely, I will send you some of my other ideas in PM and you can use them at your will.*

Copyright Grenade

*when ATS is back to being an internet behemoth I get to know where they keep the aliens

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Breakeven - understand the optimal cost structure to maintain the product and focus efforts only on meeting those costs and keeping enough on-hand cash.

Then we are generally in agreement. I'm not sure what you thought you were correcting with your original post to me. We may have a slightly different definition of what "keeping enough on-hand cash means", but that's nothing worth squabbling about. Congrats on semi-retirement!

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
No one is saying take down the mud pit, but why is the front page of ATS dominated by biased hatred in the pursuit of division?

There is nothing top secret about smear campaigns, what is secret is how people especially the OP can sit back and spew the same nonsense that led to this point while telling other people that their opinions aren't valid, wrong.

This isn't working, period, this thread is another in a long list of proof of that.

You can scream like a child about censorship and use your collective bullying to amplify your voice to the highest level - it's isn't going to make this site any better or increase it's viability or reputation at all.

I don't care what you believe as long as you believe it and use your deep understanding and available science and fact to support those beliefs while being open to honest discussion from other members.

The OP is asking alot, more than he probably knows - the CDN network to serve just the media alone on this site has to be over 10K a month, let alone the text itself.

You can run this place barebones and then people in Australia will have 10 minute load times and no images will be hosted here. That will still cost thousands a month. You simply cant operate a site of this scale on one or 2 servers - its has to be 30+ at least, spread out near major connection points. You also need backups and immediate technical support 24/7.
edit on 24-6-2020 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think the issue is to become a non-profit. If you do that and get a 501(c)(3) you have reporting requirements, but no taxes and few fees, depending on in which state you file. ATS, LLC, today, is a profit making corporation, even though it's not making any profit. Creating a legal entity to take over ownership of ATS is a first step.

How that is done can take several forms. Then a Board of Directors needs to be selected or elected and THEY will need to come up with Bylaws that govern the organization. Membership will have to be established, which will become the "voting body" to select the Board.

How this will be done is being hashed out on the "working group" web site. If you want to participate in that, get yourself over to the working group and contribute. If you do not participate, you don't have a say in the formation of the potential organization. Expressing your opinion on how ATS reality should be structured HERE doesn't count including opining on what you think your rights are. If you no playa da game you no maka da rules.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   
the moment this becomes a non profit it will get taken down for promoting hate, even after the moderators thoroughly bulk purge comments and member's.

They can operate like a non profit, but that designation comes with oversight and accountability from hate groups and media.
edit on 24-6-2020 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: circuitsports

I think the moment it become for profit they take it down for the same reason you stated. And maybe what you think too. We can't win unless we have a money source that doesn't mind funding the site.

A paid membership to post would hurt free speech.

A yard sale is needed or ATS needs products to sell like T' shirts and coffee mugs. I would buy any of it and make a donation too.

Design a cool ATS mouse pad with a neat image from the archives. I have ideas that are inexpensive and can be on demand personalization too like a Sillyolme item, or Dashen. Hell Phage should have one so many hero worship that one. Leather "Round To Its" for coasters with an ATS image...
edit on 24-6-2020 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

I can't send pm's

But do you still need more software/technical help?

I'm a software engineer for the web and can help with anything software or tech related.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: humanityliveson

I can't send pm's

But do you still need more software/technical help?

I'm a software engineer for the web and can help with anything software or tech related.

Same here. Willing to have a further conversation with someone in the know regarding help needed. Can do several things on the list. Cannot PM.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Will anything be different with new ownership?
I'd love to support a truly open platform, but that doesn't seem possible these days so I'm curious how and where the lines will be drawn and if it's been stated, is that still the plan, if not, why not?

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: circuitsports
the moment this becomes a non profit it will get taken down for promoting hate, even after the moderators thoroughly bulk purge comments and member's.

They can operate like a non profit, but that designation comes with oversight and accountability from hate groups and media.

Why would that not also apply to a for-profit corporation? And your statement that a non-profit would have oversight and accountability from hate groups puzzles me.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Paschar0
Will anything be different with new ownership?
I'd love to support a truly open platform, but that doesn't seem possible these days so I'm curious how and where the lines will be drawn and if it's been stated, is that still the plan, if not, why not?

There have been no lines drawn. Plans are barely formed. I'm sure your input would be welcomed. I don't know what you mean by a "truly open platform."

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I love reading on this site. I would pay $40 per month.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I fail to see how the operational cost of ATS could be of such burden that it couldn't be paid for. It's a message board for God's sake, what operational costs are required that ad revenue doesn't pay for? Am I missing something?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join