It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deus Ex Turns 20 This Week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   
June 23 to be precise , a few months after I became a PC gamer.

The year 2000 I got my first "modern" computer , I wanted to check out this new internet thing and take advantage of the extra power a computer offered in gaming , I bought my first copy of PC Gamer magazine because it had a demo cover disk so I could sample some of that PC goodness but it also had a cover story about this new upcoming game ...Deus Ex , it was , on the face of it , a first person shooter so as a Doom and Half Life fan my interest was piqued but after reading the article contained within Deus Ex was put firmly on my upcoming game radar , a conspiracy FPS sounded interesting and new so I waited for the launch.

A few weeks after June 23rd I picked up the game , graphically it didn't Wow me but the freedom of choice the game offered and deep conspiratorial story the game told was like nothing I'd experienced in a game before , it was a revelation and the memories of my first play through have stayed with me for the past 20 years , no game , not even the sequels has matched that feeling of wonder I experienced playing as JC Denton.

If ever there was a game deserving of a Redux Deus Ex is that game.

Happy Anniversary granddaddy.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

this was a great game! think I played it on PlayStation.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Has it really been that long?!
Man time really does go by dude.

And also I was going to make a thread asking those that want to game together to post steam names either on the thread or a pm. But I think you would garnish more people.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Yeah 20 years , scary to think it's been so long in a way but it also shows how far we've come in that time in terms of graphical power and how lazy developers have gotten in game development terms 20 years on.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
20 years.
Time for a remake.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Only one of the greatest games of all time, non of it's sequels did it justice and indeed some could argue they even ruined the franchise as it once had huge potential for everything from role playing to straight first person action.

But to be fair what made the game so great was it's many possible way's of solving just about every mission, you could go completely non lethal except for boss fight's and choose to kill no one opting for stealth and non lethal weapon's OR you could go in dirty harry Rambo style and massacre the bunch of them.

Arguably though it owed something of it's gameplay to a game called Thief the Dark Project which came out in 1998 though that was very much a steam punk alternative universe conspiracy theory type game set in a fantasy world that seemed to be built over the ruin's of an even older one.

Out of the two for pure stealth play Thief the dark project was the harder game to play and far more challenging limiting your character to a small inventory, limited ammunition of various types for your bow and grenade type weapon's, water to extinguish the boilers of the steam powered robot's and holy water to put zombies down often explosively BUT Deus Ex had so many scene's that it remains' brilliant, hiding in a vent listening to members of the illuminate talking just built to the story and the world you found yourself in.

A kid whom is hungry and you choose to give him a chocolate bar whom then says how he likes the feel of the nanites as they clean his teeth also adds to it's futuristic setting while a US civil war is being put down at the same time with secessionist rebel's being killed on sight.

It is one game that genuinely needs to be remade, not a sequel those were awful but an actual remake of the original with modern graphics and engine as that very old unreal engine the original used was very low polygon.

Still it remains a seminal game and those of us that experienced it the first time around probably spent far too much time playing it again and again just to try out different outcome's, decisions and game play styles.

www.ign.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Deus ex is probably the best game ever made.

The biggest problem it has is that even if we went back in time and gathered the original team they wouldn't be able to make a similar or better game. Was way ahead of its time and still is relevant today in such a degree that it boggles the mind.

Just in case you guys dont know, they have made the game with better graphics, search for deus ex better graphics or something similar and there is an awesome mod

ps didnt even know ats had a games forum and i am here 10+ years

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Actually you can kill all 3 bosses non lethally. and you can even kill them when you shouldnt

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Man, I feel old now. I played this when it was new. It's a great game, though, and while I won't get into spoilers, the plot of the game should seriously appeal to many here on ATS.
edit on 21-6-2020 by DragonsDemesne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Still got my original copy - remember playing it on a Pentium P100 (if memory serves). Could just about cope!

The follow-ups weren't great. Deus Ex - Human Revolution and the sequel, Mankind Divided - weren't a patch on the original. Shame really.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
deusex.fandom.com...

The Greasel is a reptilian transgenic pest that roams the sewers throughout the post-Collapse world.

I have this username here and on other(gaming) platforms to Honor that game.

It is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: youcanttellthepeople

That's too bad. I never did try the sequels; when they came out, I think my computer wasn't good enough to run them when they came out.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DragonsDemesne

One of them was ALMOST absolutely crap (invisible war it was made in the spirit of the game but was no where near as good - and it was aimed at early consoles which compromised the game since it was developed with them in mind) but the other's were fairly ok though I would say they were simply NOT good enough to use the Deus Ex title and were merely console oriented games playing on the name and reputation of Deus Ex, there main problem was that they simply felt too small level wise but larger than the atrocious level's of invisible war AND they lacked the feeling that the original had which made you want to play it again, there replay value was pretty low in my estimate though some did love them and other's actually raved on them.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I disagree that none of the sequel did it justice.

Deus Ex Invisible War has it's issues, but when going back and replaying them today; it's still a really enjoyable experience. The story is fine, and most of the gameplay elements survive with minor regressions. Human Revolution wasn't very good, but Mankind Divided again was a great game.

The original has it's own problems too. It's by no means a perfect game, and if you choose to go it as an action game, the experience is pretty terrible.

That said; Deus Ex is one of; if not my favorite franchise of all time. The original even had a decent multiplayer, which then inspired the half life mod Dystopia, which was also pretty dang great.

Pretty pumped for Cyberpunk 2077, as it looks like the closest thing we'll get to a Deus Ex game for a while.
edit on 20-9-2020 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If have played through and enjoyed the original as I have (more times than I can count)... you might enjoy this carry on of a MOD.

edit on 20-9-2020 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I remember buying this for my first PC I ever built - this game was so awesome. I know there have been mods and texture packs and updates for the game - but if there was any game that needed a full on and proper remaster - its Deus Ex!!

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: pigsy2400

Couldn't agree more , If ever a game deserved a remaster it's Deus Ex it ticked all my conspiracy theorist boxes back in the day , it's a shame none of the equals lived up to the standard it set.

new topics

top topics

join