It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for a new frictional compromise?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If the current zeitgeist is correct and racial inequality is the root of many, if not most, of the domestic problems facing the United States today and that it is holding us back from achieving true prosperity for all; why is it that all most no one is paying the issue anything more than token gestures?

Does defunding the police really make that big of an impact toward equalizing power among the races? I can understand why its a important topic for debate but does it really fix the root cause of the problem or is it just another bandaid?

And if an issue such as "defunding the police" is a pore bandaid to racial equality I'm fairly certain all the social media angst isn't even making a scratch on the issue.

Not to mention the token gestures corporations are making; who else go to spend a day off today because the calendar says its Jun 19th? I'm sure racial equality got a big boost because my wife got to spend the day drinking beer by the pool today.

What else is there that can make a meaningful impact on racial equality? Repercussions? As we all know thats a show stopper the moment its mentioned.

If you want to shut down a conversation about race, just say the word “reparations.” Even black Americans are divided over the idea that money can compensate for the vestiges of an evil institution that ended 150 years ago; only 60 percent think the government should make cash payments to descendants of slaves. White Americans, on the other hand, have reached a consensus: In a YouGov poll taken shortly after the Atlantic published Ta-Nehisi Coates’s viral feature, “The Case for Reparations,” 94 percent were opposed.

link

And there are very good reasons why reparations are not viewed favorable by most people, even among those it would directly benefit. A) Not all minorities suffered from having enslaved ancestors so it is not a total solution to racial equality; and B) Most people alive today have not directly benefited from the enslavement of others so it punishs the wrong people.

So what else can we do that is more than a token gesture; that helps all races become more equal and not just a sullect few; and that does not seek to reward one race over another?

How about a new three fifths compromise? ... one that is more mathmaticaly accurate and one that levels the voting power between the races?

As we all know the race demographics with in the United States is naturally unequal; we have more of one race than others. The exact percentages are superfluous to the topic so I wont bother to list them.

So even with assuming the best of intentions from all parties; some races will have an advantage over others when making polices and voting on reparation simple because the numbers are on their side. This isn't even just a black vs white problem. The black community is at a disadvantage to the Latinx community. And the Asian community is at a disadvantage to them both. Just to sight a few examples.

What if we create a voting system wherein each race has a more equal peace of the voting pie? Set up an Electoral College along racial lines so that minority groups have voting power that rivals that of the majority?

We already have ample precedence for this with the normal Electoral College; so it can not be viewed as a punishment to the majority any more than Alaska's representation is a punishment to California.

It does not give any more power to one race over another; by leveling the playing field it simply gives minority groups the ability to have their issue addressed along side the majorities. And each minority, and even the majority, can start to advocate solely for themselves rather than having to build collisions that might not share the same interests.

Imagine what would happen to the two major political parties if they couldn't count on collision votes? They might have to start addressing the different needs of their constituents.

And to be clear; the current Electoral College does not give Alaska the exact same number of delegates as California. It recognizes that CA and it's issue affects more US citizens than does Alaska's issues. But it does level the playing field just enough so that Alaska is not forgotten or CA dominates the country. A similar compromise can be reached among the races.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I did anticipate opostion to the idea; but could you elaborate as to how you reached your opinion?

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Sure.
One person equals one vote.
That’s equality.

It’s time for people to stop playing the victim card and to take responsibility for their own problems.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Kinda makes you think that the people proposing the solutions don't really want to solve the problem, doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

That’s usually the case when the problem is self inflicted

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Sure.
One person equals one vote.
That’s equality.

Our current system of federal representation does not account for "one person one vote"; this would simply be another form of the same unequal individual voting power.

It’s time for people to stop playing the victim card and to take responsibility for their own problems.

I would agree with you that people in general need to stop being victims.

But you must admit just mathmaticaly the needs of certain groups have a great chance of being addressed than others.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

The problem is because they have forgotten God they have no God in their lives scripture talks about them.

They're real close to having the truth but they just want their way.

So we see the trouble in the streets the same thing is the Abolitionist Movement and Thom Browne I got hung for doing the same thing that they're doing in the streets right now.

That's the same problem he's going to fix that scriptural prophecy tell the story beforehand.

The ones in the streets don't know God they won't remember him in their lives Paul in Scripture calls them terrorist.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

No I can’t say I agree with that.
We are a republic.
A rich mans vote counts as much as a poor mans.
A representative is elected, sometimes by a slim margin, and they represent their constituents.

As for mathematics..
The minority groups that I’m assuming you are talking about tend to congregate in the same areas.
Africans live in the same areas and elect representatives of their own race giving them a voice.
That’s why shuffling of voter districts is such a big deal.
Giving them extra power would only make things worse in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Dude, I’m an atheist and I’m not out there destroying property and attacking people.
If anything religion has caused more death and destruction tHan it has prevented.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

A rich mans vote counts as much as a poor mans.

I don't 100% agree with that. Nowadays, money can get you more than a vote.

That doesn't justify the actions taken by those who perceive they are disenfranchised. I say perceived, because I don't really see any realistic aims by those protesting, or clear ones for that matter. I don't agree with how they are doing things, and I also don't even think what they are trying to get done will benefit them or anyone.

I also think they are essentially making patsies out of some trendy targets, which keeps many who are just as complicit perpetuating their goals.

I think there are some things we could do to create a better situation for normal working class citizens. But in reality, all we'd have to do is bring back all of our constitutional rights and protections... And that could be done in a way that fits within the law and doesn't hurt the very people they claim to be "protesting" for.
edit on 19-6-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Defunding the police is a stupid idea and will certainly only empower the usual radicals who come up with such ideas. Which is most definitely never a good thing. I never met a radical of any stripe I'd trust to watch my back.
edit on 20-6-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   

How about minority's quit voting democrats who just want to use them and vote republican. Then maybe we could clean this country up.

I only looked into a few big name Democrats and saw what there districts were like and it was really bad.

As far as reparations go, who do you think been paying there rent at the projects and buying them Cadillac escalades and groceries when they dont even work.

Them projects are just breeding grounds for more minority democrat voters. And the democrats are the party of the white nationalist/kkk.

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   
We all belong to the human race.
Everyone can vote anyway they choose.
Or , are you saying each race votes their own separate ways ?
See how easy that was .
Some folks watch way too much TV.

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Just create areas of the country that only one race can live in. There would be no more racism locally, they would all have representatives of their own race so if that area failed it would truly be their own fault. Segregation to the max! You know, like Democrats say is a good thing!

(sigh)

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
We all belong to the human race.
Everyone can vote anyway they choose.
Or , are you saying each race votes their own separate ways ?
See how easy that was .
Some folks watch way too much TV.

There is around 60% white demographic in the US and about a 13% black demographic in the US. Even assuming the best of intentions from both groups one clearly has an advantage over the other in having their interests addressed.

It's not any kinda of wonder why the black community predominantly chooses one party over another; if they didn't they would dilute their power even more. I think any group of people in that same situation would do the exact same thing; consolidate their voting power so that it is as strong as it can be.

In fact the disparity is so great that all minority groups are forced to consolidate their voting power behind one political party and they still don't have equal voting power.

I hear people complain about this fact all the time; that one party has one races votes locked up. Increasing the voting power of those races would give them the luxury to start splitting their voting block among different parties..

And how do feel about the Electoral College and number of representatives each state gets in congress? Is that equally distasteful?

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Just create areas of the country that only one race can live in. There would be no more racism locally, they would all have representatives of their own race so if that area failed it would truly be their own fault. Segregation to the max! You know, like Democrats say is a good thing!

(sigh)

Let's imagine that were possible.

Would those new areas of the country be afforded the same population normalized voting power that the Electoral College affords states at the federal level?

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

To reach true equality, a person is treated the same no matter what.

If the rule says that one person gets one vote, then that's the way it needs to be, even if there are less of one type of person than another type.

The reason why we have representative republic and not true democracy is because it does protect minority groups in the end.

Look at the end of the last election - the left loves to rub it in that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, or the popular democratic vote, but by the rules of representative republic (the Electoral College) in which she had to win the majority of the elections in the states, she lost.

It doesn't matter that some states have a disproportionate amount of the population in their borders, and that she won those states. Those states are still more heavily represented in the final vote tally of the EC, but she ignored too many of the rest of the state for those heavily populated ones to matter.

In the same way, a representative republic represents those minority groups. Heavily conservative districts more often than not end up sending very conservative voices to the House to speak for them, and you aren't seeing people who don't represent African Americans coming out of heavily urban districts. Who do you think elects people like Sheila Jackson-Lee or Ilhan Omer or Emmanuel Cleaver? They are elected by the people they represent. In a true democracy, those people would not be in Congress because, as you say, the odds are they wouldn't win in a wide vote because apparently white folks are racist (nevermind people like Barack Obama and Tim Scott).

Those people certainly have a large voice in the House. Large enough they have their own caucus.

When it comes to the Senate, you are looking at representatives of the States as a whole, not the people themselves. This is traditionally why the States used to appoint them rather than elect them.

Do you need to kneecap voting? And what purpose would it serve? Do you want this country to descend to the levels that South Africa has? And we have less reason to do so.

edit on 20-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Why are you only worried about the black demographic, and which black demographic at that? Are you not worried about Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans? Should we create "percentages" to weight their votes too?

And let's get back to the black demographic are we only talking about those descended from slaves or those who have immigrated from other countries since? Will there be different weights for those who went all the way back, those who moved in since Jim Crow, and those who came in after all that nonsense was done away with?

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Racial inequality is not the root of the many domestic problems we have.

Racial inequality is more of a result caused due to class struggle.

The more wealth an individual has brings them more opportunity and privilege.

A person born into a wealthy family inherits those privileges and is offered those opportunities.

A person who isn't born into wealth has a chance to work their ass off and/or use their brains to make wise financial decisions and elevate themselves to a wealthy position to gain those privileges and have new opportunities.

If they look out for their family, and provide for their children they bring those opportunities and privileges to their children an so forth.

A person doesn't get those opportunities by giving up and relying on the government or corporations to provide for them.

If you take a look at all the wealthy people in the world today of all ethnicities you'll find that they were either born into a wealthy family, or did what they had to to get into a position of wealth.

Those born into wealthy families continue doing what their forebears did to pass the wealth onto their children.

Those who weren't born into wealth, but achieved wealth, pass along their knowledge and wealth to their children so their children can have the opportunities that their parents achieved. This is how families become wealthy and stay wealthy.

What is happening is people don't make sound financial decisions. Spend all of their money, don't take relationships or families seriously, and are unable to provide for their children. Thus, prolonging the inequality.

Then, either the children grow up resentful of their parents, or learn from their parents mistakes.

Immigrants come here to the United States and bust their asses off to take advantage of the opprtunities just being in the US provides. They don't buy into consumerism, they maintain the family structure, and they do what they must to provide for their children and so forth.

A good friend of mine is Kurdish. Spent his childhood living in caves and internment camps, drinking dirty water, watching people die all around him.

His parents did everything they could to move to the US. Once here, his parents hustled to start their own businesses. He, in turn became a business owner.

The contrast between him, his older siblings and cousins, and his family that was born here is stark.

His younger family members are still good people. They look out for one another, they help out the family, but they are lazy. They have no aspirations. All they want to do is flip burgers and play video games. They waste all of their money on weed and cars and throwing it away.

The real problem with America right now is the fact that our education system is crap, a large part of the government wants everyone on assistance, and the corporations want us to spend everything we have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join