It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparency On The Future of ATS

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Xabi87
Set up a donation button, should help a bit with costs.

21 pages in and still getting posts like this.
Because people care and will do anything, whatever is possible.

It's simply the human condition.

The Owners make a valid point, US Members get together, pitch in and run the site ourselves. We need 25k upfront and then find ways to sustain.

Donations.
YT channel for Ad revenue on
Instagram Conspiracy Art view revenues

Anything, whatever, bake sales, lemonade stand....

I get that. My point was donations has been addressed multiple times already and is clearly not going to be a viable option to save the site. If users had just skimmed the thread they'd realize this.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I will be lost without this site.
So many great people here, even the not so nice ones, that could at least be entertaining to read.

Very sad news, for sure.

Everyone should at least consider making an identical Reddit handle strictly for hopping over to the subreddit if/when need be it. I hate Reddit, but I'm considering it.

Hey! Let me know. Please.

I haven't done Reddit yet. But, have been looking around for something more diverse and less Right.

This place used to be more diverse and less right. But right-wing opinion was still welcome here. That's what made the left-wingers leave. They wanted an echo chamber, and this isn't one.

No they where actively bullied off the site.

First comment I got on this was basically saying "a paid subscription service would be good because people like you wouldn't post anymore".

On another thread on this exact same topic I was told that I must be jumping for joy and that my views where essentially trash.

Its comments like that which have driven members away, its not because they wanted an echo chamber (for years we have had good left vs right debate) nor was it because they had lost the debate, its just simply a case of getting fed up of the abuse. Why would I waist my time formulating a coherent and researched debate only to be told that my views are trash because I am from the UK or I am just a "libtard with TDS".

Not wanting to make this political I am only making the point that ATS's toxic debate is part of the problem, no advertiser of investment wants to be connected with a site that tolerates that kind of behaviour. Now sure you could say its a free speech issue but ultimately if your running adds on a site that tolerates lots of transphobic and bigoted dialogue then thats not a site you want your product associated with.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Annee

I haven't done Reddit yet. But, have been looking around for something more diverse and less Right.

You will love Reddit, it is just slightly left of Mao.

At this point I consider myself a "Logical Atheist Realist" -- and progressive in the real meaning of the word (not the political ideology).

I need to hear both sides and everything else.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Go back and look. All of 'em couldn't be bullied off at the same time.

There was an internal feud. The site took a hit from people leaving who ran prominent account(s).

Guess what? I don't miss that BS team ... and I laff at those who threw in the towel.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I am not talking about the political left vs right nature I am just pointing out that on a site like this with this kind of toxic debate advertisers and investors are not going to give it the time of day.

If this was the pure conspiracy site it once was then I guess that might be different but times have changed and these are the consequences of that change.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Sad news indeed , the end of an era approaches and the silencing of lone voices continues.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

So many great people here, even the not so nice ones, that could at least be entertaining to read.

Very sad news, for sure.

Everyone should at least consider making an identical Reddit handle strictly for hopping over to the subreddit if/when need be it. I hate Reddit, but I'm considering it.

This place used to be more diverse and less right. But right-wing opinion was still welcome here. That's what made the left-wingers leave. They wanted an echo chamber, and this isn't one.

First comment I got on this was basically saying "a paid subscription service would be good because people like you wouldn't post anymore".

On another thread on this exact same topic I was told that I must be jumping for joy and that my views where essentially trash.

When YOU wade into a topic where people are discussing their personal willingness to pay to preserve something they value and your first comment is stroking how you'd not pay, clearly stating you value it far less than those who had been discussing it, then shade thrown at you isn't political. When you make an ass of yourself, you have to expect shade.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

But was that what ATS was originally?

13 years ago when I became a member the closest you used to get regarding MSM and their narrative was whether some newscaster knew the World Trade Center was being blown up. I used to be able to comment, or just read, a 30 page conspiracy thread that had 20 posters with knowledge about aeronautics, engineering, photography and such. Now the conspiracy threads are dead and It's really not much more than a social gathering I'm sorry to say.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'd be gutted if this site folds....but I fear its inevitable.

Had some great times here with some great people.
Many have gone for one reason or another but there's still plenty of people here who I will miss, a lot.

And despite the move towards being a site dominated by American politics it is still by far the best site if its type around.

Back in the day I visited a few similar sites and I remember when after a spate of bannings there was a bit of a campaign to get members to move to another particluar site.
I took one look and knew it wasn't for me.

I'd love to see some benefactor come in and take over or offer the financial assistance it obviously needs - anyone heard anything from Robbie Willians recently - but I can't see it happening.

When/if ATS goes it will be a loss to me personally and the internet will be poorer for it.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Very sad news, for sure.

When YOU wade into a topic where people are discussing their personal willingness to pay to preserve something they value and your first comment is stroking how you'd not pay, clearly stating you value it far less than those who had been discussing it, then shade thrown at you isn't political. When you make an ass of yourself, you have to expect shade.

Kind of what I mean.

Lots of toxicity in attacking the ball and not the player over political views.

I mean this is coming form a mod, I am calling out the bullying of other members that has contributed to falling numbers of active members and this is the reply....

So its okay to make a personal attack because I said I wouldn't pay for a subscription...hmmm....

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Annee

You will love Reddit, it is just slightly left of Mao.

At this point I consider myself a "Logical Atheist Realist" -- and progressive in the real meaning of the word (not the political ideology).

I need to hear both sides and everything else.

Oh you can find anything on Reddit, including many things I wish I had never seen. The moderation is...interesting, but you can curate the subreddits you wish to see. It takes time but ultimately I suppose it is worth it. It is absolutely nothing like ATS though, and never could be, so if a replacement is the goal Reddit is definitely not it.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They really DO have a reddit already (r/AboveTopSecret) but I still think they need a ATS conspiracy reddit & an ATS OT one to work out well on Reddit.

Not that I'm going to post there with any guarantee but I registered my screenname just in case some scumbag tries to take it like they've done on other sites.

No prob I can get you in 2 questions. Would be one but ...

Sigh..

Well

Well

Well

Internet?

Yes BB:

BB: Gonna suck for a bit?

WWW: Oh yes it's going to suck awful.

WWW: Hey, remember when you played hide and go seek... Tag... KICK THE CAN?
Play pretend?

New adventures

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I think we all had the "Voat" isn't for me experience.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
FWIW I don't think message boards will really exist for much longer.

It would appear independent opinions are not wanted in general. Most websites run my MSM outlets have disabled their comments sections entirely. Add that to the threats by ad networks to excommunicate sites due to behavior in comments and what you have is an internet where you will be told the story and that's where it ends. You will not have the ability to discuss it or - heaven forbid - question it. The story posted by the MSM outlet will be the entirety of the discussion.

You want to discuss or disagree? Arrangements will be made to see to it that you can't sustain yourself. I think the example of NBC acting as a hall monitor/snitch for Google with regard to zerohedge and the federalist is just a grain in the big sack of rice.

People can argue right or left all they want. Bottom line is, our opinions are no longer worthy of being posted anywhere unless we are part of a certain club that none of us are members of.

Dissent on twitter, fb, etc are easily vaporized. Websites like ATS aren't. Or weren't.

I guess if this site does vanish it'll be one less one for them to crush.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is very sad news indeed.
I have been visiting this site for many years.
I am not a vocal person on here and initially only visited as a guest before 'joining' the site.
Not only is this site invaluable for the good old 'conspiracy' stuff but I learnt so much about Covid-19 before it all kicked in. This site was way ahead of the game and kept me informed of the developing situation which mainstream news outlets were not doing at the time.
Some members on here at the initial stage of the Covid-19 outbreak were clearly well informed.
I do hope there is nothing nefarious going on in the background.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

And again, how in the blue hell is "I refuse to pay for something I use" a political position? Are you suggesting the stereotype of the mooch is a particular partisan bent?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Could the site be split?

Imagine ATS without politics.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

These are my exact thoughts.

Alphabet inc and facebook essentially control the online "economy."

Anything like a messageboard or.. anything.. that allows WrongThink will need to be self-sustaining, at the very least.

Perpetuate the corporate-political narrative or be taken off the web. Either directly, through media propaganda, or through indirect economic means.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join