It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A look at the history of Thomas Jefferson and his toppled monument

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Here remains the pedestal upon which the statue of Thomas Jefferson once stood.

He helped write the declaration of independence.

He fought for the religious freedom found in our constitution.

He served as a minister to France, a governor of Virginia, the first US Secretary of State, VP for John Adams, and Third President of the United States.

He established the United States Military Academy at West Point.

He spearheaded the acquisition of fertile land from the French for what was the largest territorial gain in U.S. history.

He stood behind said gain and created the Corp of Discovery with Lewis and Clark, establishing the claim from the Europeans.

He abolished slave trade in the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves. Taking effect in 1808.

He rebuilt the Library of Congress after destruction from the British in 1814 by selling his personal library of 6,487 books.

He founded the University of Virginia and was also the principle designer of the buildings. *wink

His wrote “Notes on the State of Virginia”, considered to be the most important American book published in it’s time.

He owned around 175 slaves.

In 2020 a small militia of protestors tore the statue down.

Please enjoy this historical marker and QR Code.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1946)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ironically, their local tax-payer dollars will be spent putting the statue back up and covering the graffiti.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Or paying for it to go into storage... that's happened to several toppled statues down in this region.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Strange to see so many white folk involved in this video, looks like idiots driven by social media to gain likes and thumbs up rather than knowing anything about history or context

I know youtube allows "content creators" to earn money through views not sure how twitter and instagram work but its all the kids under 25 care about, views and likes, its like a new acid craze, hooked on dopamine

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Damned hooligans.

Slap 'em in leg irons. Hand 'em a sickle. Put 'em to work on the roadside for the rest of their lives. There's a lot of roads in America.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You cannot judge great men from the past by present day standards.

The thing that bothers me is the hypocrisy, ignorance, and selective outrage.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Slaves or sharecroppers , I wonder .
Folks have a tendency to lump those 2 terms together because it "sounds" better .

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Responding to their anger with more anger is probably not the right move.

I think educating them might be a better idea. This statue WAS in front of a High School.

They don't realize how much of what they are able to do is due in part to the ideals and virtues of the man the statue represents.

They are tearing down THEIR OWN freedoms and I don't think they realize it.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
I think educating them might be a better idea.

I was proposing lessons in geography, meteorology, and physical education.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This # just pisses me off to no end. I don’t want to live in a wussified society, this is past ridiculous.

I wish Kinison and Carlin were here today to comment on our current events.🙁

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

They'll be off to the libraries next, looking for books to be offended by so they can burn them.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

They'll be off to the libraries next, looking for books to be offended by so they can burn them.

That would be quite the bonfire!🔥🔥🔥

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Maybe all men were not created equal.
Results matter.

They are tearing down the statue of Lewis and Clark in Charlottesville Va because Sacajawea is posed lower than their figures. Gotta go! This is his hometown mind you (Jefferson's) home of UVA (which he founded).
edit on 17-6-2020 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
They are tearing down the statue of Lewis and Clark in Charlottesville Va because Sacajawea is posed lower than their figures. Gotta go! This is his hometown mind you (Jefferson's) home of UVA (which he founded).

Whaaaat? God help us. This country will be unrecognizable in short order at this rate.

OT: Love your artwork ATA!
edit on 17-6-2020 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Stay safe, man. I thought about your dream lately. Whatever was between us, no need to react, just be remembered to stay safe. You are smart enough to stay away from there I hope.

edit on 17.6.2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: "stay away" not "keep away"

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

Here remains the pedestal upon which the statue of Thomas Jefferson once stood.

He helped write the declaration of independence.

He fought for the religious freedom found in our constitution.

He served as a minister to France, a governor of Virginia, the first US Secretary of State, VP for John Adams, and Third President of the United States.

He established the United States Military Academy at West Point.

He spearheaded the acquisition of fertile land from the French for what was the largest territorial gain in U.S. history.

He stood behind said gain and created the Corp of Discovery with Lewis and Clark, establishing the claim from the Europeans.

He abolished slave trade in the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves. Taking effect in 1808.

He rebuilt the Library of Congress after destruction from the British in 1814 by selling his personal library of 6,487 books.

He founded the University of Virginia and was also the principle designer of the buildings. *wink

His wrote “Notes on the State of Virginia”, considered to be the most important American book published in it’s time.

In 2020 a small militia of protestors tore the statue down.

Please enjoy this historical marker and QR Code.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1946)

He sure had a long old life...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

HA GOOD CATCH! Almost made it with no edits hahaha

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Jefferson was an extremely interesting person whose views on slavery was not the norm for his time. Owning slaves was through multiple inheritances from both him and his wife's families, but he pretty much fought his whole life to end slavery.

In 1779, as a practical solution to end the legal enslavement of humans, Jefferson supported gradual emancipation, training, and colonization of African-American slaves rather than unconditional manumission, believing that releasing unprepared people with no place to go and no means to support themselves would only bring them misfortune.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

he pretty much fought his whole life to end slavery

Really?

Thomas Jefferson hypocrisy regarding slavery saw him denounce the practice as malignant while running a labor camp on his property — and legislatively oppose the practice of slaveholders freeing their slaves for fear of a rebellion

Ultimately, his own 1785 book Notes on the State of Virginia made it clear how he felt about black people. He referred to them as orangutans, and said they have “a very strong and disagreeable odor” — and that they were “inferior to the white in the endowment of both body and mind.”

And there's worse.

Jefferson Was A Pedophile Who Raped A Slave Named Sally Hemings

allthatsinteresting.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's truly disgusting what these cretins did. Thomas Jefferson was the best president imo. I have no respect whatsoever for those ignorant people. Hopefully karma will bite them in the ass tenfold.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join