It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starlink satellite internet beta sign up

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

Word I heard early on was $40-$80 per month with the idea being the profit would fund the trip to Mars. The federal government would LOVE a single ISP. Especially one that can be manipulated with scratching each other’s back deals. And they have been scratching the back on this satellite network deal.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Sounds cool and all, but I'm not beta testing. What securities are in place?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Same as any internet provider, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Good, Starlink, good boys! I am waiting next for Neuralink to get that Neuromods a.s.a.p.! Such exciting morning!

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Neat thanks!
Put in the zip for my private land up north, looking forward to moving there... Can't pay the bills without internet though.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:03 AM
link   
For the Canadian Maritime's, it will be a dream come true for many.
Some of the worst internet services imaginable presently, especially P.E.I.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: waftist

$60 a month?!

GOD DAMN, I WISH!

The Internet in Canada is expensive.

I pay $130 a month for 50 mb speed.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Egoismyname

I'm all for Neuralink also.

Oh The possibilities.
I just don't know if I'm willing to be one of the first to try it. lol

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 06:21 AM
link   
originally posted by: Macenroe82

ETA:
Correction the 8ms is when StarLink is fully operational.
From what I’m reading, we can expect 20 ms latency for the initial version

Any info on the expected throughput / speed?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
When will it change it's name to Skynet?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Is there a satellite dish necessary or how will this work? I can not find a lot of info on it.

Does this mean I need some relay box to get internet inside the house where the satellites do not reach me?

Asking because the internet provider here has a tight grip on the region. There is only that one, or TV cable internet or mobile network and the latter is garbage.

I pay over 70€ for internet and 50.000 Megabits (bytes??) speed and may have to upgrade for business usage soon.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Not a dish, because the satellites move across the sky. But no, your phone won't be able to talk to the satellites. You'll have a router type thingy.

The Federal Communications Commission has approved SpaceX's application to roll out a million user terminals in the US to connect with its growing Starlink satellite broadband network.

The approval gives SpaceX a 15-year "blanket license for the operation of up to 1,000,000 fixed earth stations that will communicate with its non-geostationary orbit satellite system".

www.zdnet.com...

edit on 6/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

ISo far, SpaceX has demonstrated data throughput of 610 megabits per second in flight to the cockpit of a U.S. military C-12 twin-engine turboprop aircraft.

spacenews.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This is a pretty cool concept all around, I've been reading about it off and on for a while now. I signed up for the newsletter, the welcome email said something to the effect of they'll contact us if/when testing in my area is available.

Cool beans, I'm game

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Thank you, so 48cm or 1,5 foot in diameter.

This would be susceptible to ice, snow, rain or weather in common, right? Just like dishes or is there a different thing happening like the camera that can look through clouds?

I ask because I know that dishes can make trouble in bad weather, if a storm does not make them take-off. Happened to me last year.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I think, because a "constellation" of satellites will be available and they will be using GHz wavelengths, it may be less susceptible to weather problems than satellite TV.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
When will it change it's name to Skynet?

Once its realized to be enamoring the human race in an Orwellian Technocracy

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

ETA: Correction the 8ms is when StarLink is fully operational. From what I’m reading, we can expect 20 ms latency for the initial version

no way == mostly traffic will go via ground channels & only closest ones could reach that lag THEORETICALLY. Actually, starlink is doomed: sat serves just as a last mile to the user + it has damn narrow bandwidth and noisy one as well. in short, it will be even sadder than mediocre wi-fi.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
for example, starlink has parameter like reconnect rate == one sat falls over horizon & user's modem has to reconnect a session to next visible sat. the lower orbit, the higher reconnect rate & this operation ain't smooth one

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SarK0Y

Perhaps the beta will address such issues.
I know with my industrial, Satellite-positioned drone, Once one of the satellites falls below a certain horizon, 20 degrees I believe, it cuts that satellites from its receiver and begins reading corrections from the next best orbit.
There’s only 25 or so Combined, useable Glonass and GPS satellites readable for positions at a given time in my lat.

I know it’s a different Type of media; RTK GPS positions vs internet, but I’d imagine It will work In a similar fashion-
That we won’t even notice when One of the satellites drops from broadcasting.

But who knows.
We haven’t Even seen a satellite in history Like SpaceX’s.
Nor know the Full capabilities and limitations Or how it works.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join