It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pompeo to meet Yang Jiechi in Hawaii on Wednesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I am really sitting in anticipation of the outcome of this "secret behind closed doors" meeting. I agree that red lines will be drawn into the sand as the article suggests, even if the two don't agree on what those red lines are.

This is definitely one where I would like to be a fly on the wall, I guess we will have to wait for the "official" press release, post talks. Of all places to meet, Hawaii, "Pearl Harbour" springs to mind.

I believe if these talks fail to find common ground, the only possible outcome will be a further ratcheting up of the tensions. After the public denouncing of China on a number of occasions by Pompeo, and justly so imho, I cannot see this meeting ending in a kiss and making up.

Why doe's this feel like the Japanese Foreign Affairs Committee discussion on January 15, 1941?

SECRETARY HULL discussed Japan's actions in the Far East, on January 15, 1941, at a hearing of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the House of Representatives on the Lend-Lease bill. The Secretary recounted the various steps in Japan's program of expansion, including the conquest of Manchuria, the denunciation of the naval treaty of 1922, the intensified construction of military and naval armaments, and the large-scale military operations against China which had begun in July 1937.

Looking at the above quote I believe everything on it can be related in a similar way to China's moves over the past decade. Expansionism, conquest ambitions, large scale military and naval build up, intensified military operations against neighbours. I cannot see this ending well. We all know what happened by the end of that year in 1941, I am starting to think history is going to repeat itself only I do not think we will have to wait so long.

The Japan of pre-WW2 talked of peace but secretly planned to attack America, will China do the same? I certainly don't trust them that's for sure.

Hawaii talks a chance for Mike Pompeo and Yang Jiechi to ‘draw red lines in the sand’

With relations between Beijing and Washington at their lowest ebb in decades, all eyes are on a meeting of top diplomats in Hawaii that observers say will be a chance to “draw red lines in the sand”.

There is little doubt that the talks between China’s top diplomat Yang Jiechi and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday – their first meeting since August – are aimed at deescalating tensions ahead of the US presidential election. But few details have been given, including why it was hastily arranged in the middle of a global health crisis.

www.scmp.com...

if these talks fail I fear there will only be one possible outcome ... I will post some additional updates here after the meeting has taken place. I personally believe this meeting will be one of the most important, but down played, meetings of this century.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Smarties

China needs the USA to sell all it cheap stuff to so a war with them would be an economic disaster for them . As for Taiwan and India along with others that's an issue to watch very closely .

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 10uoutlaw

China needs the USA to sell all it cheap stuff to so a war with them would be an economic disaster for them . As for Taiwan and India along with others that's an issue to watch very closely .

While true, your statement assumes that people are operating from some position of rationality.

I'm seeing more and more that this is not the case. Rationality seems to have taken an extended vacation with not indication of date of return and no forwarding address. Or, perhaps it's been summarily executed and we just have not been told.

It's almost like the have become futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts have been darkened to the point that as they claim to be wise, they have utterly become fools.

But who am I to judge, eh?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I hope this diplomatic mission works out as well as the lil kim meeting went...oh wait

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Everyone is pissed off with China because they have done so well in the last twenty years, that's why apart from face saving gestures China wont risk going too far. Because it would be China against the world with Russia wondering who to go with. China just has to keep its raw material suppliers sweet. It got through the GFC by concentrating on the internal economy, they made it through by a hair the West on the other hand is an Idiocracy who offshored its manufacturing to China and then bought back the products that they should have produced themselves. The one per cent did really well, and the CCP got a few more billionaires.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Meeting Between Pompeo, and China's Top Diplomat Yang Under Way: Official

WASHINGTON — A meeting in Hawaii between the U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and China's top diplomat Yang Jiechi began shortly after 9 a.m. local time (3 p.m. EST), a senior State Department official said on Wednesday.

www.nytimes.com...

Will have to wait a little longer to see what happens. A very short meeting would probably mean things collapsed from the start.

new topics

top topics

join