It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs safe policing executive order

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order urging police departments across the country to "adopt the highest professional standards to serve their communities."

Trump announced the order at the White House on Tuesday, after meeting with several Black Lives Matter families. It would ban chokeholds – except for when the police officer’s life is at risk – and prioritize federal funding to departments that meet high standards on use of force and de-escalation training. Police would also be encouraged to use new nonlethal weapons, and share reports on officer discipline. More funds will be allocated to social workers to support police in dealing with the homeless, drug addicts and mentally ill persons.

Source

This is excellent news, particularly the de-escalation training. It's a safe bet that many, many situations with police brutality or excessive force could have been avoided simply by the police talking to the other person like a human being... Like the blatant murder of Daniel Shaver in 2016, who was shot to death by a lunatic cop while sobbing and begging for his life.
Another great part of this is increased funding for helping people with mental illness or drug problems. Treating them like criminals, locking them away and ruining their lives only makes the problem worse.
This executive order is a huge step in the right direction.

edit on 6/16/2020 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

HA HA!! No one was wearing a stinking mask!!

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   
looks like police forces across America will adopting new levels of professionalism now; no more excessive force.

Trump did it! he told them to stop. the madness finally ended with this strong wag of the finger

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Good lord, what a garbled mess of a speaker Trump is. He really needs to stick to the teleprompters (as painful as that is to watch as he moves through it at a snails pace) so we can actually get some facts as opposed to constantly repeating a embarrassing barrage of waste-of-space used car salesman adjectives over and over again. The world is only dumber for having watched that.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
S&F for credit where credit is due.

President Trump sent a strong message today.

The Democrats had better start paying attention in a big way.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
S&F for credit where credit is due.

President Trump sent a strong message today.

The Democrats had better start paying attention in a big way.

I concur, good first steps.

Now it's time for the handwringing panty waists to tell us how bad reform is going to be.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Trump did it! he told them to stop. the madness finally ended with this strong wag of the finger

So Trump signs an executive order banning chokeholds, giving incentives to police departments to limit use of force and use more de-escalation, and increasing funding for dealing with mental illness and drug addiction...
And you're criticizing him?
Go ahead and explain to everyone why you think these things are insignificant and meaningless.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
Good lord, what a garbled mess of a speaker Trump is. He really needs to stick to the teleprompters (as painful as that is to watch as he moves through it at a snails pace) so we can actually get some facts as opposed to constantly repeating a embarrassing barrage of waste-of-space used car salesman adjectives over and over again.

I can agree that he's not the best speaker... Did you catch where he mentioned the AIDS vaccine? There isn't one, for the record. I'm sure that line is going to be all over every MSM outlet in the morning.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yep, I don't get to say it very often, but this is a masterstroke for the Trump Administration.

It needs to be followed up with legislation of course, becasue an EO only lasts until it's reversed.

This may be the first time I can unequivocally say the President did a great thing for the country.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Good on Trump.

I wish I had some sense that he truly believes in these reforms, and that he wasn't dragged into it. But he did it, and it's done, and it's a real good start.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: odzeandennz

So Trump signs an executive order banning chokeholds, giving incentives to police departments to limit use of force and use more de-escalation, and increasing funding for dealing with mental illness and drug addiction...
And you're criticizing him?
Go ahead and explain to everyone why you think these things are insignificant and meaningless.

Probably because he spent an equal amount of time defending the police departments and about cracking down further. Always talking out both sides of his mouth. Just about everything Trump has ever said has an opposite statement, on record, coming from Trump himself. Who knows what to believe with that dude.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
Good on Trump.

I wish I had some sense that he truly believes in these reforms, and that he wasn't dragged into it. But he did it, and it's done, and it's a real good start.

Trump was fairly moderate until he started to get sick.

Like before 2013 or so.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Did you catch the line in which he claimed that Obama did nothing to address police violence, because they had no idea how to begin?

Clearly not true.

President's Task Force on 21st Century Policing cops.usdoj.gov...

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
Good lord, what a garbled mess of a speaker Trump is. He really needs to stick to the teleprompters (as painful as that is to watch as he moves through it at a snails pace) so we can actually get some facts as opposed to constantly repeating a embarrassing barrage of waste-of-space used car salesman adjectives over and over again. The world is only dumber for having watched that.

Wtf? YOU are a garbled mess! This is a GOOD thing mmmkay? The # is wrong with you people?

edit on 16-6-2020 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
My personal opinion - this will go no-where. At all...

There's nothing in it...

No chokeholds unless the officer..... STOP RESISTING - *cough* STOP RESISTING - *cough* *Gasp*.

I see a lot of number fudging and workarounds an zero attitude change. It needs to be VERY clear and VERY specific. Chokeholds isn't what got us to this point. It's more than that.

Jeeze.... way to focus on the wrong thing. Broadside of a barn, anyone?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Well, now ... the effect is not zero. C'mon.

If nothing else it signals the Senate that it's okay to proceed with legislation.

And Trump is showing that he's listening to Black America and is willing to put his name on an EO.

It's a masterstroke politically ... which is why I'm wondering where it came from.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It's a masterstroke politically ... which is why I'm wondering where it came from.

Probably Russia.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

"use new nonlethal weapons,"

Did he just usher in the widespread use of Heat Rays (Active Denial Systems) and Sound Cannons (Long Range Acoustic Devices) ?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: discordantone
Did he just usher in the widespread use of Heat Rays (Active Denial Systems) and Sound Cannons (Long Range Acoustic Devices) ?

I hope so. Along with the noogie, purple nurple and wet willy.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Probably Russia.

LOL ...

That's all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join