It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell phone outage

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

I understand that it's not VOIP.

However I bet that the communication between carriers is some form of VOIP. Or even between cell tower and cell tower or cell tower to the main hub. Otherwise how can a DDOS attack from the internet affect them? If their networks were over dark fiber they wouldn't have this issue.

The problem with these sorts of DDOS attack is the sheer magnitude of bandwidth being used that it's hard to stop.

You can see the attack live.

horizon.netscout.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I just tried to log into Chase, their site is down. (I was using my cable internet).

These mass outages always scare me. Shortly after 9/11 I was on a trip near Niagara Falls. I was told the area is considered one of the main terrorist targets because before an attack power and phones are usually cut first. A year later I was in New York area during their big black out. Not only did the power go out landlines and cell phones went out too. I thought for sure an attack was happening but no, it was just an outage.

That's what I keep reminding myself now because I can't shake the feeling that we are in some type of undeclared war.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ohgawd!

It's happening!

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Otherwise how can a DDOS attack from the internet affect them?

Because there is no DDOS attack happening right now that is affecting the cellular network.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   

You can see the attack live.

That's cute

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

Otherwise how can a DDOS attack from the internet affect them?

Because there is no DDOS attack happening right now that is affecting the cellular network.

So what is happening? Any progress on repairing the problem because it's not getting much better?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   

You are both right!

To some extent it is an “IP” style protocol. This will sound strange because we all know the “regular” meaning of this one: iOS.

That is Cisco’s OS to do network communications. It is proprietary and not simple to learn. But has all the problems of any, older, *NIX, which are few older systems.

That is where people study to see how resilient the network is. Scripts already exist to flood unpatched systems and slow, if not kill, network traffic.

There are 7 layers to network traffic and we are so far away from a “trusted” network on a university only internet that hacks continue to this day.

It is not just “bad actors” (cyber security term for ‘hacker’g but state sponsored attacks of like equipment being studied.

The need to make a buck outweighs cyber security because all you need to do is upgrade (money)!!

Got bless technology!!
edit on 15-6-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Some autocorrect!!

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Ohgawd!

It's happening!

I believe it is too. Let's see what the mkt. does manana, eh homie.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

My link to the Digitalattackmap won’t load .

“We’re all going to die” !

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Yes actually, we are doomed.

Someone just mentioned teh OSI model, which I never thought would ever happen on ATS.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I have T-Mobile, could make calls out, but no one could call me.
I disable my phones WIFI calling capability, and now all is well.
Internet at home has been stuttery all day, but still useable.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   
AT&T seems to be out in MO. still. And parts of Texas. Had to Zoom a business meeting. Conference calls are FUBAR.
edit on 16-6-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I stand corrected. Looks like it was IP related after all.

Starting just after 12 pm ET and continuing throughout the day, T-Mobile has been experiencing a voice and text issue that has intermittently impacted customers in markets across the U.S. We are recovering from this now but it may still take several more hours before customer calling and texting is fully recovered. Neville Ray has shared updates throughout the day but I wanted to share the latest on what we know and what we’re doing to address it. This is an IP traffic related issue that has created significant capacity issues in the network core throughout the day. Data services have been working throughout the day and customers have been using services like FaceTime, iMessage, Google Meet, Google Duo, Zoom, Skype and others to connect.

Source

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I bet one of the NSA collection-point farms blue-screen'd, causing this issue

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Con-cast phone service down yesterday for a few hours in the Chicago area. Every day, downdetector.com... shows a boatload of outages at any given time.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

tmobile says it's a misconfiguration of the routing. /shrug

“This is an IP traffic-related issue that has created significant capacity issues in the network core throughout the day,” Sievert said. “Data services have been working throughout the day and customers have been using services like FaceTime, iMessage, Google Meet, Google Duo, Zoom, Skype and others to connect.

www.infosecurity-magazine.com...

ooops you posted as well.

edit on 16-6-2020 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join