It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jefferson statue toppled by protesters

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

History simply can't be judged through a modern lens. With the possible exception of issues that resulted in major international revulsion at the time the event occurred (such as the Holocaust), any attempt to apply modern morals to historical norms will ultimately bite people in the ass. It is extremely likely, for example, that someday in the future present humanity's body count of aborted babies will be widely viewed as a sign of 21st century barbarism. That's but one example of what will almost certainly be a laundry list of morally reprehensible or flat our stupid actions we presently view as mostly normal, but which future historians will struggle to defend.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Gandhi was a Rapist?

Gandhi statue vandalized in Central Park

The vandal or vandals used red and black spray paint to deface the 6-foot-tall bronze statue of the social activist and its concrete base, located near the park’s main playground, with expletives and words such as “rapist.”

www.davisenterprise.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff
Time to head down to South America with jackhammers!
Those Aztecs used their temples for human sacrifices after all. Their art and statues depict it as well!

And maybe that's why we no longer have human sacrifices??

So when all the statues reminding people of the history of the slavery trade

are obliterated ........ Slavery could return??

Because as has been said many, many times ............

"Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It."

Yep, the history of the human race is wonderful, horrific, good, evil, amazing, and the list goes on.

It is what makes us who we are, individually and collectively.

We need to know and understand these traits and actions.

It’s not unlike ourselves as individuals. Through life we look back on our achievements and mistakes and grow as a person from them. We nurture our actions and traits that help us succeed and try and curb those habits that caused us to fail or loose respect from others.

That is how civilization works and that is why we have both Auschwitz and the pyramids preserved for our viewing pleasure. The former we gaze on in horror and shame and the latter with awe and wonder.

Hopefully by doing so we learn from our past and build a better society.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Yeah, Gandhi really wasn't all that nice.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Lets make a deal.

Every toppled statue gets replaced with a Time Man of the Year from 1900-2020.

So, anyone want to volunteer their city for Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Chairman Mao?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

I see you and raise you "Time sexiest man of the year"

Or is that People? I get so confused.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

By that metric, they better guard all the MLK statues... just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Gandhi statue vandalized in Central Park

what did gandhi say when vandals spray painted his statue in central park?

Holy Cow

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

All statues are evil.

ASAE.

ETA:

edit on 6.15.2020 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

History simply can't be judged through a modern lens. With the possible exception of issues that resulted in major international revulsion at the time the event occurred (such as the Holocaust), any attempt to apply modern morals to historical norms will ultimately bite people in the ass. It is extremely likely, for example, that someday in the future present humanity's body count of aborted babies will be widely viewed as a sign of 21st century barbarism. That's but one example of what will almost certainly be a laundry list of morally reprehensible or flat our stupid actions we presently view as mostly normal, but which future historians will struggle to defend.

Okay, so slavery was okay in 1789?

Thomas Jefferson didn't think so; he called it morally reprehensible.

Nice slice in for anti-choice there though. Kudos.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
We should only allow statues if everyone can agree on them. I guess that means Lenin or Marx or whoever that is in Seattle gets to go.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I did.

I thought I explained it to my satisfaction.

They should have stayed up with signs stating what they did, why they were over-thrown, the horrors and atrocities they employed.

It would have been educational.

It would have fought tyrannical symbols with actual free speech.

Yes, thank you.

I had hoped that would be your response. Consistent.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Happy to.
See you there.

I’ll be the dead white American in front of the vandalized statue.

🍺👍🏻

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
We should only allow statues if everyone can agree on them. I guess that means Lenin or Marx or whoever that is in Seattle gets to go.

Would that be everyone in the country? A given State? Everybody within a certain radius of the statue?

Let's just agree that vandalism is vandalism and that a community can have a statue up or down as it decides?

Easy peasy.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That would make sense, and no one makes sense these days.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Okay, so slavery was okay in 1789?

Thomas Jefferson didn't think so; he called it morally reprehensible.

Nice slice in for anti-choice there though. Kudos.

He favored gradual emancipation and, frankly, the rapid degradation of society, prosperity, and peace in South Africa since they broke from Apartheid entirely and instantaneously seems to be a clear indication that the gradual emancipation the US did experience following an end to slavery was absolutely the smart choice.

In short, yeah it was OK in 1789...

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Karl 12 posted this in the funny pictures thread but I thought it appropriate here.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

those were built by aliens. Keep on topic, please.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Considering how common the practice was all over in 1789, that any of the Founders even spared the idea a thought let alone spent so much time trying to line it up so that the US would eventually be what they truly wanted - a place where all men were free and equal, including those enslaved - should be treated as remarkable and surprisingly forward thinking.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: ketsuko

Would that be everyone in the country? A given State? Everybody within a certain radius of the statue?

Let's just agree that vandalism is vandalism and that a community can have a statue up or down as it decides?

Easy peasy.

Mind you this horsesnip is taking place in a nation with homeowners associations out the wazoo that dictate what freaking color a person who purchased and pays the annual taxes on a property can paint their own freaking bathrooms.

I've not figured out yet if Americans are exceptionally idiotic and constantly searching for new ways to be their own worst enemies, or if that's just humanity in general. Whichever one it is, we need some damn bleach in the gene pool and quickly.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join