It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jefferson statue toppled by protesters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: FlyinHeadlock

a reply to: SolAquarius

Jefferson owned slaves.

Fair game.

Romans owned slaves. Should we destroy their landmarks and statues in museums. What about the Mayans. They performed human sacrifices. Should we destroy their temples.

Why is Jefferson fair game and those two examples are not.

I thought this thread was about what is happening in America.

Who mentioned The Romans and Mayans ?

You thought wrong if slavery is "fair game". Blacks owned slaves in the US. Blacks sold slaves to the US. There is a black statue in La of a black slave owner. I know because I use to live by it. Bet nobody tears it down. Nobody alive today should feel any guilt for slavery. It was accepted back then just how Obama and Hillary were both against gay marriage to include Biden.
edit on 15-6-2020 by FlyinHeadlock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I have had issues with Jefferson Owning Slaves I think any one can be critical of history but also understand the times he was living in.

That being said Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin are two of my favorite founders and I love reading about them and the things that they thought.
This to me is a real shame and If it is not stooped then "WOKE" revolutionaries will destroy and book burn all our history.

"Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It." -George Santayana

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
That's if the police got time for that .

God had the israelites do some statue bashing , they called them graven images and idols. Anything symbolic of pride and smugness God has a go at , when he feels like it , the towers of Babel being up there for it once

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Jefferson owned slaves.

Fair game.

Romans owned slaves. Should we destroy their landmarks and statues in museums. What about the Mayans. They performed human sacrifices. Should we destroy their temples.

Why is Jefferson fair game and those two examples are not.

I thought this thread was about what is happening in America.

Who mentioned The Romans and Mayans ?

You thought wrong if slavery is "fair game". Blacks owned slaves in the US. Blacks sold slaves to the US. There is a black statue in La of a black slave owner. I know because I use to live by it. Bet nobody tears it down. Nobody alive today should feel any guilt for slavery. It was accepted back then just how Obama and Hillary were both against gay marriage to include Biden.

You have just confirmed what i have said. It's about what is happening in America.

Why ring the Romans and Mayans into it?

And no it wasn't " Accepted Back Then " Do you think slaves actually enjoyed it ? What a bloody ridiculous thing to say.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   
So let me get this straight. On most days, if I destroy public property, like say topple a statue, then I get arrested and have to pay for the damages, but if I say I am protesting and do the same thing then no consequences?

Got it, so next time I have an urge to destroy I will just bring a protest sign with me and I get a free pass.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

It's all down hill from here.

Idiocy has won.

I was well assured when the toilet paper revolution was a thing.

What we gotta remember is that these "protests" and knee jerk reactions are isolated, one time troll events to illicit a reaction amongst the populace to give it validity when in all actuality, it's a nothing burger.

Reason #2,583 why I don't watch ANY MSM bs...đź’Ż

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
So let me get this straight. On most days, if I destroy public property, like say topple a statue, then I get arrested and have to pay for the damages, but if I say I am protesting and do the same thing then no consequences?

Got it, so next time I have an urge to destroy I will just bring a protest sign with me and I get a free pass.

That sentiment also applies to covid-19 restrictions as well it seems. You can go out and protest (but not against the politicians) and ignore all social distancing and medical protocols. The politicos will applaud you and tell the police to back off.

Try to open a business to feed your family or play with your kid in public, you get arrested.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Time to head down to South America with jackhammers!
Those Aztecs used their temples for human sacrifices after all. Their art and statues depict it as well!

It must all come down!!!

These snowflakes are reading right out of the ISIS terror manual and they are too effing stupid to realize and understand this.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Not only that but looting burning and toppling statues strengthens your immune system so much it makes you invulnerable to corona .

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
Well comrades it look like this glorious cultural revolution is kicking into high gear . It is Portland so Im not to surprised that this would happen.

But its a bad sign of the times as the CANCEL CULTURAL REVOLUTION kicks into high gear on all fronts.

Protesters toppled a statue of Thomas Jefferson in front of a high school Sunday night during a Black Lives Matter demonstration in Portland, Oregon.

Demonstrators gathered Sunday night outside Jefferson High School in Northeast Portland to protest the killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man whose police-custody death in Minneapolis sparked a wave of national unrest.

According to The Oregonian, more than 1,000 protesters marched to Alberta Park and a smaller group stayed behind and toppled the statue onto the ground

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

For further details

Good riddance. I never liked this band.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Destruction of public property is against the law.., punishable by a fine or prison or both.

Yeah, but there have to be police to go arrest people.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Someone already said it, but I'll repeat it.

Nothing but a bunch of damned book-burners.

Cowards and little baby-tyrants.

Authoritarian nazi-wannabees.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   
As long as the statue is public property, if you deface or destroy it you've usually broken one or more laws.

If you feel strongly about the presence of a statue, use the proper legal channels to get the municipality, State or Federal government to remove it.

If that goes against you, keep yourself away from the area of the statue.

Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. He probably sexually abused his female slaves.

Thomas Jefferson also promoted a law in Virginia that sodomy could be punished by castration. He viewed this as an enlightened and modern position, as the penalty at that time was usually death.

Now, I've loved Thomas Jefferson since I had to memorize the first paragraph of the Declaration of Independence in school. As I grew up, I came to admire him greatly because of his intellect, his personality, and his contributions to the United States.

When I look at Jefferson, do I see a man who would have supported having me castrated?

I don't. I wasn't alive in his time. It's a pointless conditional.

If Jefferson were alive today, would he own slaves? I do not believe so.

Why?

He advocated for abolition his entire life. He called slavery morally repugnant.

In his original draft of the Declaration, in soaring, damning, fiery prose, Jefferson denounced the slave trade as an “execrable commerce ...this assemblage of horrors,” a “cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life & liberties.” As historian John Chester Miller put it, “The inclusion of Jefferson’s strictures on slavery and the slave trade would have committed the United States to the abolition of slavery.”

Smithsonian

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   
No Constitutional protections for you then.
You're on your own revoltards.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Someone already said it, but I'll repeat it.

Nothing but a bunch of damned book-burners.

Cowards and little baby-tyrants.

Authoritarian nazi-wannabees.

This is a little extreme....Did they write awful songs? Yes. But Nazi's? And book burners?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DougHole64

You want to defend the statue-topplers?

They're book-burners.

Convince me that they aren't.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

In principle, did you feel the same way about the statue of Saddam Hussein being toppled in Iraq?

How about the statues of Lenin in Ukraine in 2014?

How about the statue of King George being toppled in 1776 in New York?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

In principle, did you feel the same way about the statue of Saddam Hussein being toppled in Iraq?

Did we just have a regime change I missed out on?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop

Did we just have a regime change I missed out on?

Not to my knowledge.

We're discussing the act of toppling statues of political figures.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   

In principle, it's the same.

Statues are put up for any variety of reasons, but they are an expression of free expression.

If Jefferson was so terrible that it offended so many people, then they should have put up a sign explaining why.

You don't fight "oppression" with oppression.
You don't fight censorship with censorship.

You fight free speech with more free speech.

Once you make any type of free expression criminal or open for censorship then you have invalidated the entire concept of free expression.

In principle. . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join