It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some serious concerns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
As long as ATS is still based in the USA the Constitution still grants us freedom of speech...

No it doesn't. The Constitution only applies to the government and not a private site like ATS.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I may be wrong but I have been under the impression ATS was
started in England.

XL5

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   
to make sure people don't get too exited, you would have to remove 90% of the topics and reasons that people are here. This site would just be about UFOs, monsters and other things that are not about politics, religion and race.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
As long as ATS is still based in the USA the Constitution still grants us freedom of speech...

No it doesn't. The Constitution only applies to the government and not a private site like ATS.

And, to be clear:
The issue of "Freedom of Speech" on ATS

As well as:
Terms And Conditions Of Use

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I always get nervous when I see a reply from you. It's like hearing your name on the intercom at school.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: harold223

Just seems like the ramp up of vitriol going as we near the end of an election cycle to me. It'll peak shorty after the election with a second wave, so to speak, around the inauguration. Even with how heavily politicized the site has become over the years (hey, whatever keeps the lights on), and with the current climate of unrest in the USA, it seems pretty normal here. I skim the political threads, but rarely respond. I've seen far, far worse on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.

And besides, you know they're watching. If any serious red flags are raised, the higher ups will be (and have been) contacted.
edit on 6/15/2020 by cmdrkeenkid because: Grammatical error.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

In the end, free expression is important, but I feel that the mods need to be more proactive at stamping out content that has the potential to incite violence. ATS needs to be careful of extreemism. ATS must not become like the 'chans'.

What do you do when most of the mods share those views?

I think that’s where we are now. ATS will probably continue its slide into a crap hole the further it slides to the far right. That happens to every forum where that takes place. And it’s sad, because this really used to be a place with a great exchange of ideas.

It’s weird to see a so-called conspiracy site filled with pro-government extremists. But I guess that’s every forum where the authoritarian right gets a major foothold.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You are such a sweet talker

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

ATS staff moderate by the Terms and Conditions, I linked them above. Not by our beliefs.
We also act through consensus.
All moderator actions are viewed by the entire staff.
When there are PMs with a member surrounding a staff action, they are viewed by all staff.

We do have opinions when we post as members, after all .....staff are members here, too.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

It is the way of this new world that we inhabit ? build it up then knock it down , making as much noise and mess as possible
to increase the clean up costs .

You would have noticed with the world on lock-down that rarely more than 150 members are on this site , my local night club holds 800 + and the owner has not been active since 02-05

Better to grab a tinny sit back and watch the world burn

AND ITS GOING TO

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Yeah, like being summoned to the principle's office.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Yeah, like being summoned to the principle's office.

Much worse!

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I have seen such concern like the one you have before and I completely understand. Youtube and some other sites have also these concerns and take the initiative to rule without context. They decided to delete r demonitize certain uploads because f the same reasons you mention.

I am against such actions, this can and will lead towards being fed the views of YouTube in this case. I think people are able to think for themselves and if they doubt a certain "extreme" view they should inform themselves on the subject before having an opinion about it.

People should always remember what happened with germany before and during WWII. The state decided to think for its population and completely conditioned and brainwashed a generation. Some kids born in the early 1930 grew up with the propaganda of the government and did not know other than becoming assholes. It was very easy to make them feel justified to kill jews, colored people and everybody else on that list.

The most stupid argument I heared was that we must protect not so very intelligent people against lies. That sensoring is a tool for helping these dumb people to make the right choices.

You can make throwing the freedom of speech away sound very noble with beautiful composed arguments but in the end when reduced to zero it is a very serious mistake. Of course there are some radical opinions not for you and I but that doesn't mean these opnions should be suppressed. If these views are not for me I am sure there is no danger they will become part of me...now or in the future.

Allowing people to express their thoughts...any thoughts should be considered an ornament in our society. That way we can discuss, study and ponder those thoughts and reach a consensus that certain thoughts are completely wrong...or right. If we forbid such thoughts to exist they will not go away and maybe cause a sudden serious problem in our world.

edit on 15/6/2020 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

All moderator actions are viewed by the entire staff.

Are there even any mods who aren’t majorly right wing?

If there is, I never see them post.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

You make some assumptions here.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Are there even any mods who aren’t majorly right wing?

If there is, I never see them post.

BFFT comes right to mind. He's 100% totally middle of the road and is probably the one person on the site I end up agreeing with more often than anybody else in regards anything political. There are other Mods who aren't right-leaning as well but I'm not going to bring up names.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

BFFT is a bot... An experiment launched by the amigos in 2007 to examine the effect of logic and reason.

You've been had.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

Dammit! Another dream crushed.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

There is no reason for your "serious concern" - there has been NO major changes. Yes, there have been a few random posts that were concerning but those were either deleted or just ignored.

Now, there has been some ultra right opinions that made me throw up a little bit but no serious call for violence.

Perhaps you are seriously concerned this is one of the few sites where people feel they can openly question what is currently not politically correct. I hope you realize how important this is - just 50 years ago people would have had "serious concerns" with talk of gay rights and interracial marriage.

You know what was a scary post - it was your "I here to help - shut people up"- post. I had serious concerns about it.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
Now, there has been some ultra right opinions that made me throw up a little bit but no serious call for violence.

I saw one about a week or so ago but Djarums insta-banned that person and rightfully so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join