It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft Recovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Thought this was kind of an interesting 5 minute video. It is the recovery process of a 757-23N from a runway excursion down in S. America. Emergency landing following a main hydraulic failure and subsequent runway excursion. Pretty interesting how they got it out of there.

Incident report doesn't show it as a write off, but from everything I can see it hasn't flown since. Fly Jamaica went belly up after this incident. Hull is owned by Wings Aviation. N524AT. Reports all say "Severe Damage", but certificate still shows as 'valid'.

Incident date - 9 NOV 2018

ETA - also thought it was interesting how the tail number and logo had been painted over. Priorities. LOL. Probably wouldn't be a real good image to project I guess.
edit on 6/15/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Interesting to see what happens during recovery.

Thanks for the post

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
There were two or three runway excursions this week. Not a good week for airlines.
edit on 6/15/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
A while ago.Trying to find the full vid..

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Somewhere in the murky depths of my archives I have pics taken in the late 90's of one of our 747's being recovered from a golf course in Bangkok. The aircraft was fully repaired and flew for many more years despite extensive damage to the lower lobe of Section 42 (nose) that required complete rebuilding and one or two engines that were ripped off and buried in the mud. The aircraft aquaplaned and skidded off the runway in a tropical storm. Everyone onboard got a free slide ride that day!

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

I remember seeing pictures of that when it happened. That was impressive as hell that it flew again.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   
It was the QANTAS engineers who worked the section 41 rebuilds as well late 80,s off memory.HiLoks aplenty..

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
It was VH-OJH Blackfinger, 98 or 99 from memory. Yes a team of QF engineers and Boeing AOG guys did a mammoth rebuild that was probably the most extensive and expensive undertaken at that point. You are right, all those section 41(I miss typed 42 didn't I ?) rebuilds really helped with this repair as those guys knew exactly what you could and could not remove and in what sequence. I know and work with a lot of guys that were involved in both cases.

Yes Zaph, the damage was far more extensive than what most people knew. Any other airline that wasn't trying to protect its safety reputation at that time would have simply written it off. But it wasn't, and we had some really, really talented people back then and the workshops to back it up.

edit on 16-6-2020 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I have always wondered, what kind of protocols or teams were/are in place when a classified aircraft goes down?

Is there a specific team that deals with those kind of scenarios etc and if that changes due to location etc.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I think manufacturers have specialized teams that are well versed with their own airframes..

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Back when they were flying 707s American had a bird that the gear would not come down. The 707 was based out of Amon Carter Field which is now all part of DFW.

Carswell AAF was the home of the B-52s and where much training was done. They were also one of the few airports, way back when, that Had the equipment to foam a runway .

Well it was decided to let the American 707 do an emergency landing on the foamed runway at Carswell. It was perfect no fire and the passengers were deplaned ....

In the meantime the B-52s who were meant to return to Carswell AFF were diverted to other bases... If I remember correctly there were 2 or three that had mishaps landing at other bases which really pissed the Air force off. The commander or one of his lieutenants told the American maintenance crew to, "GET THAT POS OF MY RUNWAY OR I WILL BULLDOZE IT OFF"!

American airline personal placed airbags and then jacks under the aircraft and manually dropped the gear and the aircraft was toed off the runway in short order.

What I always found weird were the B-52 accidents/incidences at other locations.

I had a friend who was an instructor at Carswell many years later still teaching on the B-52s....... the aircraft were probably older than him by then ??.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: pigsy2400
I have always wondered, what kind of protocols or teams were/are in place when a classified aircraft goes down?

It depends on the situation. It can be anything from secure the area and haul it off to call in an airstrike. I had some training in this area, mostly how to destroy classified components and technology.

new topics

top topics

join