It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck Drivers Say They Won’t Deliver To Cities with Defunded Police Departments

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Once upon a time, a long time ago there was a company called Consolidated Freightways. CF was so cool they started making their own trucks...Freightliner. But most importantly CF had a big time union until one day the company got tired of dealing with it and since Con-Way was solid enough and a non-union subsidiary...CF just some how “went bankrupt” and folded up overnight.

Everyone talks about the Teamsters...but unions are not and have not been worth jack in a long, long time in America. Well except every four years for pandering purposes.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Spacespider
This will all end badly..

There is always repercussions...

Wait and see what the real estate prices look like in a year in places with defunded police.

Wait and see what happens in those places that manage to keep their police.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

most definitely, would be as bad as cartel towns in mexico, just look at whats already going in seattle with the chaz goons.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I know I heard a lot about the "good old days" when the Teamsters were a thing. I just entered the industry too late to experience that.

I actually knew almost nothing about trucking when I started. Remember when every boy wanted to be a trucker? I was the odd boy out who didn't... and I was the one who wound up being one!

I still see CF trailers, so I am assuming they just got bought by Con-Way after the bankruptcy. Normal. I was driving for Burlington when they went under and Celadon just bought up everything after the bankruptcy for pennies on the dollar. The only thing they actually purchased from Burlington was the freight line contracts after agreeing to take on some of the drivers... everything else was bought at liquidation.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Once upon a time, a long time ago there was a company called Consolidated Freightways. CF was so cool they started making their own trucks...Freightliner. But most importantly CF had a big time union until one day the company got tired of dealing with it and since Con-Way was solid enough and a non-union subsidiary...CF just some how “went bankrupt” and folded up overnight.

Everyone talks about the Teamsters...but unions are not and have not been worth jack in a long, long time in America. Well except every four years for pandering purposes.

Yeah unfortunately unions are akin to feminism these days. They accomplished what they were meant to do decades ago. Now they just go on and on because there's money and votes in it, and they have to keep inventing new issues. Now if you think it's wrong to murder unborn children, somehow that's trying to "oppress" women.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

You've posted a lot without actually saying anything, or sharing what idea's you have. How exactly and in detail would you replace law enforcement? Educate us please? You have me intrigued as to what your solution to no law enforcement would be?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Why don't you let people vote for the plan they want in their region rather than thinking the universal answer to every problem is Police?

If a city wants to defund and they get the votes then they will have to come up with unique solutions to their particular problems that the police were supposedly addressing before.

I live in a town (pop 30,000) about 25 miles outside Detroit and we haven't had a town PD in several years because it was disbanded after some corruption. We seem to be able to work with what is needed via the ballot box and within the Constitution. Crazy huh?
edit on 14-6-2020 by Identified because: Add population

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

Why don't you let people vote for the plan they want in their region rather than thinking the universal answer to every problem is Police?

If a city wants to defund and they get the votes then they will have to come up with unique solutions to their particular problems that the police were supposedly addressing before.

I live in a town (pop 30,000) about 25 miles outside Detroit and we haven't had a town PD in several years because it was disbanded after some corruption. We seem to be able to work with what is needed via the ballot box and within the Constitution. Crazy huh?

There's lots of towns that don't have their own PD. That doesn't mean there is no law enforcement entity with jurisdiction there. You likely have coverage from a township PD or county sheriff's department. You still have police, they just don't have an office in your town and their cars don't have your town name on them.

That's not what these people are calling for. They're calling for getting rid of police, period.
edit on 14 6 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

But most places in America the police are nothing but revenue generation and do little in the way of benefiting the society they serve. But they have people scared if their wittle jobs go bye bye then life as everyone knows it will end. That simple isn't true.

Prove that please.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

You dodged my question? I was asking how you personally would replace the police?

I'd bet that you do have law enforcement in this city you talk about. Sheriff and State Police, correct? A nut starts shooting kids in a school, you do have law enforcement that will show up, right?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   

So if someone calls 911 and claims someone is shooting out of their car window, who shows up?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Yes, I'm aware of the pearl clutching going on over the thoughts of nobody with a badge rolling down the street every 5 minutes.

As for my town we have no County contract. What that means is sure when an actual crime takes place the State or County will eventually show up but they aren't going to bother with speeding tickets and general revenue gathering which was what our town PD primarily did before. And crime hasn't gone up and if anything the standard of living around here has increased.

As for the other cities that chose this path they will certainly shift it from local PD to other services such as city council, forensics labs, community policing, education and mental health and yes, in some instances we will still require actual someone to go arrest someone else. But there is no reason for most towns to have the numbers of police they have.

If defunding causes them to wake up and fix this then I'm all for it. It worked for my town.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

What the hell. Okay here you go:

Community policing, forensics labs, easier ability to swear out a warrant at city hall (because now many cities have taken that fundamental right away from citizens and make you jump through hoops at the PD first) mental health facilities, education, rehab, civil courts, city leaders, etc...

Considering the vast majority of police in the US don't even solve 50% of crimes it won't be much to shift to nothing at all to address their loss.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Poor trucker

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Depends on who is closer. On my street considering I spent a couple hours today target shooting with two different neighbors then I'd say a citizen will probably show up first.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

OK, take my example of someone shooting up a school. Walk me through how that would be dealt with and have multiple, armed, highly trained people show up within 3 to 5 minutes to save the children.

You might say community police, but then that would be the same as a police force, would it not? I'd assume by community police you mean just random volunteers, which would mean the kids are dead. If they were trained to handle it, then they would just be the police, except unpaid.

Now if you rely on state police or deputies, that's still police.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Who would be willing to pay at least four times the current rate, probably more, for every letter and package. The USPS mail will have to be delivered by armed individuals.

Packages will have to have a second person too as the first one is carrying the package. The truck will have an armed guard not allowed to leave the truck and probably driving it around while others deliver the mail as a moving target has a better chance than a sitting one.

Every delivery might need to be accompanied by a federal agent as interfering with the mail is a federal offense. Your federal taxes will pay for that.

Instead of dealing with local police, you will have the FBI patrolling your neighborhood everyday to keep the USPS mail safe.
edit on 6 14 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I ask: what are the police going to do when they show up? Guy shooting out the window is already gone and then what? They require witnesses to solve it for them? Why not cut out the middle man then?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

How will a shooting be dealt with? Probably better than it is now or do you think cops showing up 5 minutes later, sitting outside, discussing how to enter, calling for an mrap or bearcat to bust through a wall, throw in some flash bangs and then stand around bodies is a good way to do it.

Police were only ever needed for people who were unwilling or unable to do the arresting themselves but have now morphed into revenue generating daddies who can't follow simple Constitutional laws.

I'm not sure why you think a paid full time police force is needed when if people voluntarily become police officers then people will voluntarily respond to issues where arrest and possibly firearms are needed.

It is easier to cut out the cancer than it is to rub salve on the wound and hope tomorrow it gets better.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I ask: what are the police going to do when they show up? Guy shooting out the window is already gone and then what? They require witnesses to solve it for them? Why not cut out the middle man then?

so you and your neighbor would go all "vigilante" on the criminal? You are fully aware of your rights as the shooter correct?
I'd like to know who you would call if your house was being robbed by a few thugs and you didn't have time to rambo them our on your own. Please don't say "911" that would be way to damn funny.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join