It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta Police Chief resigns after Black Man shot

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Just imagine once he randomly shot the taser if the cop just stopped. The guy would have ran away and they would have had to chase him.

That's why they shot him. It is easier to do than chase and subdue.

People on ATS now think this is normal and what cops should do.
edit on 14-6-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You can't blame the lady for resigning in this climate.

People assume things would get better but the tabloid press is trigger happy and looking and loving things like this. Particularly CNN and FOX.

Also, the reality of the street is the reality, not these protests about police brutality here and there.
And the psychologically impaired folks fighting cops will never stop.

It will take years or decades to change this not days or weeks

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

Just imagine once he randomly shot the taser if the cop just stopped. The guy would have ran away and they would have had to chase him.

You fight cops and grab their weapons you should expect to be shot. Period.

Anyone who doesn’t know that is just following Darwin’s law.
edit on 14-6-2020 by proximo because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2020 by proximo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Another thread where a bunch of punks excuse the behavior of worthless humans. Not a one of you is worth any more than the scumbag who got shot. Mouthy do nothings KB warring hoping for more violence against innocents.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   

They knew the guy was intoxicated. He was so far gone that he passed out in a parking lot. They had been interacting with him for 20 minutes or more, and then tried to cuff him. He resisted.

Reports say that both officers' body cams hit the pavement. Brooks got the taser and was running away turned around from about 40 ft away. And they shot him.

There's more info coming.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I agree with your post Willtell but asking in earnest, do you not think the phrase "the reality of the street is the reality"
is the entire issue here?

Of course we need the police. Of course there are horrible people who would kill cops if they could.

That does not excuse unlawful behavior by the cops, even if the perps get away. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post and if so my bad.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: proximo

Even if that weapon is non lethal (according to cops) and the guy is at a full sprint running away from them?

I'd argue you let the guy run. You have his car, you know where he lives and works.

Put in the effort and get him the next day. Death is not acceptable.
edit on 14-6-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

What's even more disturbing to many of us is the willingness of so many to excuse police abuse, as well as the apparent bloodthirst that some have.

Increasing cop brutality is not the disease, it's a symptom.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:39 AM
link   

It's tough to swallow. Lots of folks here are upset they can't get their COPS tv show anymore - the one showing multiple abuses of the constitution and law by the minute.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Granby

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Granby
a reply to: Edumakated

And people like above are arguing it justified.

It's disgusting.

It was justified.

I bet if it were your kid you would not feel that way.

If it was my kid and they were stupid enough to take a officers gun or weapons i would be sad,but i would also say they brought it on themselves.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Um from the REAL street.

I've been rousted by cops literally in the tens maybe hundreds back in the day.

I know the reality there. I lived it and almost got shot by a cop myself. That turned me around.

It's not an abstract where cops killing a person is in a vacuum.

But if my brother or friend I heard got in a fight with a cop I would personally slap him.

It’s a stupid thing to do.

Just like going out naked in a hurricane. YOU DIE.

Being against a cop murdering folks is easy, we're all for that enthusiastically. But nothing is ever that simple IN REALITY

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If cops are as bad as people say what sense is it for a person fighting a cop?

Of course one doesn’t justify police brutality but sure a 4-year-old kid can't be blamed for playing in the street but the cars will still run him over even though he isn’t to be blamed.

And here, a person who fights or resists a cop is NOT blameless.
Does that mean he should be shot in the back like the old days? Hell no.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Supreme court has ruled its perfectly legal to shoot a fleeing suspect when they are a danger to the public. The man apparently was not shot squarely in the back either and then when running away turned to fire the less lethal taser hitting a officer with it. The fool was then shot until he stopped moving and was no longer a threat.
Tasers can be deadly btw. especially if used long time or if said person has a heart condition.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Live PD’ Canceled By A&E Amid Ongoing Protests Against Police Brutality

EXCLUSIVE: A&E has canceled its flagship series and one of the highest-rated shows on basic cable. A week after Live PD was pulled in the wake of George Floyd’s death, the reality series’ hiatus has been made permanent.
The decision was made jointly by A&E and MGM’s Big Fish Entertainment, which produces the series.

Yeah, this is some phenomenon going on. I wouldn't take any cop exam nowadays if I were a youngster. Not much of a future.

This LIVE PD I watched a couple of times... It has some really intense stuff on it but got a little routine.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Even if that weapon is non lethal (according to cops) and the guy is at a full sprint running away from them?

I'd argue you let the guy run. You have his car, you know where he lives and works.

Put in the effort and get him the next day. Death is not acceptable.

You are looking at the situation in hindsight.

The cop is looking at the situation with a split second to react - and has been trained if someone tries to taze him he is justified to shoot.

You can see his partner is nearby, he can’t. If he is tased he is defenseless and could be killed.

Here is what every damn person should know, if you don’t resist arrest, you are not going to get killed.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This is getting to the point of beyond ridiculous.
The cop shot a man who was preparing to fire upon him with a taser
Shooting somebody with a taser beyond the scope of self defense is felony assault
Obviously this guy was not engaging in self defense
Georgia law allows deadly force for ALL citizens in this instance, not just police
For anyone to argue that this is an unjustified shooting is making the claim that police officers have LESS rights than the average citizen

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   
When can cops legally shoot someone running away from them?

This is two years old but it probably is still current.
www.vice.com...

When can cops legally shoot someone running away from them?

You'd be surprised how many states you can shoot in if they're running from you.

The SCOTUS says only if the cop feels his life or others are in danger

For years, cops had to demonstrate they had “probable cause” to believe a suspect was dangerous before using deadly force. But a landmark Supreme Court case in 1989 changed that. In a 6-3 decision, the justices determined officers could shoot to kill if they “reasonably” feared for their lives — a lower and more subjective standard.

States, however, still have the power to set their own laws governing when police can use deadly force. Right now, 42 states have a total of 58 different statutes, according to Seth Stoughton, a former police officer and assistant professor at the University of South Carolina’s School of Law. The majority of the laws align with the Supreme Court’s standard, but some states give police even more leeway.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   

thats my point. If you resist arrest and run on a non violent felony just let them run.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

well the man had a less lethal weapon and tried to shoot a cop with it. yes his life was in danger. Good shoot. especially in georgia law. The firing was pandering to the mayor.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Resistance to law enforcement should not warrant lethal force. If a taser is considered a deadly weapon then we need to have a discussion about their liberal, excessive use in situations where officers are not in danger because each time they use them should be considered their use of deadly force.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join