It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis cops condemn Derek Chauvin and vow they will 'embrace change'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The most remarkable -- and heartening -- thing about the murder of George Floyd and the ensuing protests/rioting, is that other LEOs (dare I say "good" LEOs?) have found their voice. All over the country, the cold-blooded brutality of the LEOs involved has been clearly and unequivocally condemned by their fellow officers.

Minneapo lis cops condemn Derek Chauvin and vow they will 'embrace change' after city council plans to disband department in wake of George Floyd's death

An Open Letter to express what the vast majority of Minneapolis Police Officers feel at this moment.

We wholeheartedly condemn Derek Chauvin. We Are With You in the denouncement of Derek Chauvin's actions on Memorial Day, 2020. Like us, Derek Chauvin took an oath to hold the sanctity of life most precious. Derek Chauvin failed as a human and stripped George Floyd of his dignity and life. This is not who we are.

We Are With You and want to communicate a sentiment that is broad within our ranks. We ask that our voices be heard. We are leaders, formal and informal, and from all ranks within the Minneapolis Police Department. We're not the union or the administration. We are officers who represent the voices of hundreds of other Minneapolis Police Officers. Hundreds. We acknowledge that Chief Arradondo needs each of us to dutifully follow him while he shows us the way. We stand ready to listen and embrace the calls for change, reform and rebuilding.

We Are With You moving forward. We want to work with you and for you to regain your trust.

Sincerely,

Minneapolois Police Officers

The above letter represents our statement in whole. We will not be having an additional comment or allowing additional interviews. Thank you for giving us voice.

I would expect that the threat/promise of disbanding their police department has given them an additional wake up call. For too long, especially in Minneapolis, that thin blue line (including the inevitable retaliation) has kept good officers silent, while the police union president brazenly fought any effort at reform, even as the Chief of Police in Minneapolis has worked towards reform. But this isn't Chief Arradondo's first brush with Kroll:

...Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo, 54, was one of five officers to accuse Kroll of racism and homophobia in a 2007 lawsuit brought against the City of Minneapolis, Minneapolis Police Department and then interim Chief Timothy Dolan.

EXCLUSIVE: Minneapolis Police Union Chief who described George Floyd as a 'violent criminal' was accused of being racist toward black cops, being homophobic and wearing a 'White Power' badge in a 2007 lawsuit brought by five officers

The battle between the Minneapolis chief of police — who once sued the department for racial discrimination — and the city's bombastic union leader is a showcase in how cops resist reform

When a Sanctity of Life measure was passed, and "Killology" training courses were banned, Kroll doubled-down:

In open defiance of Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, the union that represents the city’s roughly 900 rank-and-file police officers announced that it is partnering with a national police organization to offer free “warrior-style” training for any officer who wants it.

According to a news release posted to the Law Officer website, the free online training — valued at $55,000 a year — is offered to officers for as long as Frey remains mayor. The training, which covers a range of issues, from “officer survival” and leadership to fitness and de-escalation, was designed to ensure that officers could “return home each day to their family regardless of the dangers that they may face and the ignorance of some politicians,” the release said.

Minneapolis police union offers free 'warrior' training, in defiance of mayor's ban

Chief Arradondo knows full well what he's up against. So it's no surprise -- but good news indeed! -- that Chief Arradondo has cut Kroll and the police union out of their reform efforts:

The Minneapolis Police Department will withdraw from police union contract negotiations, Chief Medaria Arradondo said Wednesday in announcing the first steps in what he said would be transformational reforms to the agency in the wake of George Floyd's death. Arradondo said a thorough review of the contract is planned, which will draw on outside experts.

The police chief said the contract needs to be restructured to provide more transparency and flexibility for true reform. The review would look at matters such as critical incident protocols, use of force, and disciplinary protocols including grievances and arbitration.

He said it's debilitating for a chief when there are grounds to terminate an officer and a third-party mechanism works to keep that person on the street.

Minneapolis Police Department is withdrawing from union contract negotiations, chief says

And this is in addition to other steps already taken:

The Minneapolis City Council voted to ban police chokeholds and require officers to intervene anytime they see unauthorized use of force in a move aimed to reform its police department after the death of Geroge Floyd.

Minneapolis bans chokeholds by police in wake of George Floyd’s death

I also expect some form of this previously developed plan to be enacted:

In late February, a state-led task force on policing released an extensive set of recommendations for how to prevent law enforcement from using deadly force on civilians and how best to respond when police do kill people.

It was the result of months of public hearings and closed-door negotiations between police groups, criminal justice advocates, state lawmakers and other Minnesota officials.

A Minnesota task force on policing recommended 28 reforms for deadly-force incidents. After George Floyd, will its report get a serious look?

I commend these LEOs, and the LEOs across the nation, who are standing tall and strong against these abuses of power.

We do need police reform. And we do need good and honorable LEOs with the strength and courage of their convictions (and experience!) to be part of that reform. It cannot work otherwise.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   
They start saying this AFTER the threat to disband them and restart afresh ?

Take that organisation apart and start again.

This should happen to all police forces.

Now .

Ours is riddled with pedos , from the top down , it's disgusting , so disgusting .

They've all had far too long to gather corruption and malpractices without oversight , nobody votes them in and out , they're left to their own devices . And when they're supposed to distribute justice they do it when and IF they feel like it.

They spend their time protecting INjustice , that's what they do nowadays , fact.

That has been so wrong to leave them to filthy up their staff structures and practises like that , get rid , start again .
And if there's oversight bodies , they want actual real people looking over their shoulders too. Round this way they have something called the criminal justice board , which the whole of all relevant state bodies acting in tandem and they're ALL f whatsits , it's true .SO corrupt , it stinks , makes you want to throw up.

edit on 12-6-2020 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

I understand your cynicism, but in the case of the Minneapolis Police Department specifically, and no doubt many other police departments, other factors have come into play in preventing reform. For example, interference by police unions and federations. Also, retaliation against LEO whistleblowers from fellow cops, and even their top brass. There are many good reasons why good cops have not been able to speak out against bad policing and bad police officers.

But in the final analysis, if there weren't more good cops than bad cops, then we'd be seeing a whole lot more people brutally and callously killed every day, in every town and city. They may not be able to stop the bad guys, but they make sure that we don't have ONLY bad cops on the force.

We cannot change the past. We can only create a better future.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
A tad late!

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Hmmmm... not better late than never? What else/more would you suggest or expect?

I've always believed and lived my life in that our mistakes aren't nearly as important as what we do about it when we realize our mistake.

This is where all LEOs are at this point. I'd really like to hear what you suggest or want or expect from LEOs now. Not before, because none of us can go back in time. What can they or should they do now?

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yes there are police with a conscience and whistleblowers , that's how we know about the stink , but they get quickly forced out o severely harrassed by the management . They're driving anyone decent to suicide levels , literally that's what they're like , proper proper molesters .

To the extent they're ALL bad cops , or ignorant one or scaredy cats or threaten able and thatsa why you must disband the organisation. Sack everybody. 🌟 Start again.

Thats why they're making that statement , it's the threat of something that'll actually do some good and cause the corrupted to lose out.

It's not just about brutality it's about whole officer careers collecting bribes and taking liberties where it's not only underserved it's often pure evil , no other words for it.

And if wasn't for sick police closing ranks with their types all the time , all those other state empowered and private pedos just wouldn't get away with it anymore . They'd arrest the prosecution services if they were any good , being the only ones with the powers to do so . Epstein s debacle is just as good an example , it happens nearly everywhere .

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Hmmmm... not better late than never? What else/more would you suggest or expect?

I've always believed and lived my life in that our mistakes aren't nearly as important as what we do about it when we realize our mistake.

This is where all LEOs are at this point. I'd really like to hear what you suggest or want or expect from LEOs now. Not before, because none of us can go back in time. What can they or should they do now?

Oh, they got to do something for sure, just a bit disingenuous, with their jobs on the line. Maybe I'm being too cynical. I just don't think they can just change like that, hard to change a culture. Too me, the culture is us vs them.

They better address the unions, that is where a lot of problems lie.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I can't speak to Minneapolis specifically, but there are often laws and/or contracts on the books that prevent officers from speaking out. Or anyone from speaking out. Laws about confidentiality and non-disparagement. Laws about ongoing investigations and pending charges, gag orders, etc., all ways that the truth is made criminal.

I'm pretty sure these officers were very careful with their words in this letter for this very reason. So I give them that much more credit for finding a way to make their voices heard without violating any such restrictions.

Maybe this is all about self-preservation. I really don't know what's in the hearts and minds of all 800,000 Minneapolis police officers. But I'll take these officers at their word until they show me otherwise.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Advice , don't take their word for anything , a policeman's word or even police staff in this state is worth bugger all , as in worth jack #

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Oh, they got to do something for sure, just a bit disingenuous, with their jobs on the line. Maybe I'm being too cynical. I just don't think they can just change like that, hard to change a culture. Too me, the culture is us vs them.

I suppose time will tell if you're being too cynical... and if I'm not being cynical enough!

I admit, I am very heartened and encouraged that LEOs are speaking out at all. With all the other current events, this is good news to me. Maybe I'm just a sucker. We'll find out together, eh?

They better address the unions, that is where a lot of problems lie.

Definitely!!! In fact, we should probably be hearing about NATIONWIDE police union and federation reform NEXT.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
Advice , don't take their word for anything , a policeman's word or even police staff in this state is worth bugger all , as in worth jack #

Fair enough. In fact, more than fair enough, those are good words to live by with all authorities these days.

Duly noted!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I have seen moments that have made me hopeful, I'll try to carry on with that sentiment.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Maybe I'm just a sucker.

Yeah , you are , but only because you're so .... don't know the word ? Kind , generous , forgiving, golden hearted ? Nice , lovely , sweet ? Bless your cotton socks .

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
I have seen moments that have made me hopeful, I'll try to carry on with that sentiment.

I like that. I will too. And know I'm in good company!

If facts make us reconsider, well... then... facts will make us reconsider.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I've never been called a sucker in such an awesomely wonderful way before -- thank you!

And I hope you don't mind if I steal "golden hearted" from you... not for myself, but it's such a perfect term for a few people I am blessed to know. I love it!

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The corporate-political forces at play always hijack every movement for their own ends.

Thing is.. We can essentially do the same.

Who is to say that disbanding then reforming actually solves anything at all? Hell, thatd be the perfect opportunity to make sure everyone on the force is in line with The Plan. A Plan that has included everything from sex trafficking to outright profiting from crime for a long time. The politicians calling for this, who are also involved in such things, are in the perfect position to really take advantage of this even in a "traditional" context. What better way to completely eliminate anyone who might be a legit, good cop?

I think the actual methods to address the issue dont have much to do with the individuals at all. I also believe there should always, always be a path to redemption.

ETA: As a larger approach, I feel that arming every citizen and providing training and education during the school years would be the only effective way to slowly disband the police.
edit on 12-6-2020 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   

There was hope here too but it's all but run out , the corruption is total unfortunately . We ve had (good) judges , politicians , mediamen , military top brass , full on inquiries , even an mi civil war , trying to sort it all out but there's only God and maybe brexit left for hope's sake nowadays . They've got the phone system rigged (exactly like Epstein's app), the lot . Disbanding the police would probably help some , and ' they' know it .

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Good points as ever but it couldn't get much worse in these parts . It's top down corrupt . Breaking some links ( esp between medical and social services ) would hurt them , it takes time for usual practise and trust operators relations to get established : business as usual would be disrupted at least , even i f the reorganisation had to come from corrupt parties at least ' reform ' would be in some way expected by onlookers .

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
The corporate-political forces at play always hijack every movement for their own ends.

This is true. They sure try anyway!

Thing is.. We can essentially do the same.

Yes! And as we better understand their methods (and their madness), we are better able to do so.

Who is to say that disbanding then reforming actually solves anything at all?

Your point is well taken, and there's really nothing to stop them from trying. I would say what we have on our side at this point is that all their previously efforts have been focused on defying any and all reforms from an opposition standpoint. To now play agreeable while undermining behind the scenes is a whole new game for them... and I think those so inclined could never pull it off because they can't get out of the way of their own arrogance and ego!

I think the actual methods to address the issue dont have much to do with the individuals at all. I also believe there should always, always be a path to redemption.

I agree -- if I'm understanding your correctly. The rot starts at the top, and so does the reform. We cannot focus on this cop or that cop. We have to focus on clear rules and regs for all cops to be expected from the top brass, all the way down to the rookie cop on the street. It's all or nothing.

ETA: As a larger approach, I feel that arming every citizen and providing training and education during the school years would be the only effective way to slowly disband the police.

Yes! I am a long time advocate of teaching firearm safety and use to everyone and the best place to start is in school. For the same reasons, I would like to see basic self-defense courses also taught in schools. Bullies -- with and without guns -- are cowards who pick on those least able to defend and protect themselves. We need to level the playing field.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I think that being region specific would be absolutely critical. We have kinda lost that with instant worldwide communication!

I compare it all to a vat of dye, well say blue dye in this case. The vat is the system and the dye is corruption. We can remove everything that has been dipped in the vat for a while, and replace it with shiny new things.. even call it something else entirely so we think we have created something "new." But that dye will absorb again. Every time.

I personally believe this process is inherent to the top down nature of our society. The corrupt and amoral tend to rise to the top because they are willing to commit acts that the just and moral are not. Capitalism actually negates this.. To an extent. However, it can also make consolidated power at the top of the structure a helluva lot worse in some aspects.

I absolutely believe there is systemic discrimination. However, I dont believe it has much to do with skin color at all. Id even argue its not really class-based either.. Instead, its all "club-based." You can be any color, and from any class, as long as you tow the line and further the purposes of The Club.

This is why Im such a big advocate for decentralization. The downsides to the concept are greatly mitigated by technology.

How do you exert your will over me when I am armed, educated & informed, and provide my own food, power, and manufacturing?

I actually believe that this is all a much more philosophical problem than we think. The obvious issue is corruption and power exerting its will over the good of the public at large. A much, much bigger issue than police, but how do we actually fix it rather than restarting the same cycle?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join