It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to accept nomination in Jacksonville after moving most of convention out of Charlotte

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 02:26 AM
link   

(CNN) - Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel announced on Thursday that President Donald Trump will accept the Republican nomination this year in Jacksonville, Florida.

"We are thrilled to celebrate this momentous occasion in the great city of Jacksonville," McDaniel said in a news release. "Not only does Florida hold a special place in President Trump's heart as his home state, but it is crucial in the path to victory in 2020. We look forward to bringing this great celebration and economic boon to the Sunshine State in just a few short months."

Trump will make the speech at the 15,000-person VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, the release said.

The announcement caps a weeks-long row between Roy Cooper, the Democratic governor of North Carolina, whose team had been working to keep the convention in Charlotte despite coronavirus fears, and Trump, who refused to let the caution of health officials stop Republicans from having a fully attended convention.

Because the party signed a contract to hold the convention in Charlotte, they are obligated to hold some portion of the convention in the North Carolina city. But the announcement now guarantees that this year's Republican convention will be unlike any other in modern history, where delegates officially elect their nominee in one location, while the nominee accepts the nomination hundreds of miles away.
By selecting Jacksonville to host the marquee Republican event of the summer, the Trump campaign is making a big investment in another critical battleground state.

www.cnn.com...

Well that's different, but alright. Do what you've got to do because of the coronavirus or something like that. It sounds like they'd move the entire convention if they could but have to have something in Charlotte due to contract?

This is the part I found most interesting and ironic:

If Republicans stick to the schedule they previously planned, Trump will deliver his acceptance speech on August 27 in Jacksonville. That day marks the 60th anniversary of the brutal beating of black activists protesting segregation that came to be known as "Ax Handle Saturday," because the nearly 200 white attackers, according to the Florida Historical Society, used ax handles and baseball bats to beat the black demonstrators.

www.cnn.com...

Surely this is purely coincidental in nature right? I mean, considering everything that's going on lately. 🤣

More than 200 white people wielding baseball bats and ax handles chased African Americans through the streets of downtown Jacksonville, trying to beat them into submission.

It was August 27, 1960, a day that became known as “Ax Handle Saturday.”

The violent attack was in response to peaceful lunch counter demonstrations organized by the Jacksonville Youth Council of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

The attack began with white people spitting on the protestors and yelling racial slurs at them. When the young demonstrators held their resolve, they were beaten with wooden handles that had not yet had metal ax heads attached.

While the violence was first aimed at the lunch counter demonstrators, it quickly escalated to include any African American in sight of the white mob. Police stood idly by watching the beatings until members of a black street gang called “The Boomerangs” attempted to protect those being attacked. At that point police night sticks joined the baseball bats and ax handles.

Bloodied and battered victims of the vicious beatings fled to a nearby church where they sought refuge and comfort from prayer and song. Eventually the white mob dispersed.

myfloridahistory.org...

The violence of Ax Handle Saturday did not occur in a vacuum. Racial segregation and overt racism had been building tension in Jacksonville for decades. In his book, Hurst places his personal story as a young activist into the larger historical context of the civil rights movement. “Jacksonville was a mess, not unlike a lot of other southern cities,” Hurst says.

It is believed that the Ku Klux Klan organized the violence of Ax Handle Saturday. “The intent was to scare, intimidate, and bring physical harm,” Hurst says. “Many times you could not draw a line between the Klan and law enforcement, because law enforcement were at least accomplices to a lot of the things the Klan did.”

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

What a jerk.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Trump stirs anger with plans for Juneteenth rally in Tulsa, site of huge massacre of African Americans

Courtney Subramanian

USA TODAY

www.usatoday.com...

Ok I really think Trump have an handler or two who sets dates and places at the most inopportune times and places , there is no way Trump knew of the burning of Black Wall St. or even a celebration known mostly to and cared about only by AAs June 13th the day of liberation, I dunno maybe he'll come out with a soul stirring deeply felt speech about the need for us to remember the past but move on from it, embrace each other as the one nation that have never mostly been , but could be,

I wished it were so?? but Naaw who I'm I kidding.

The fathers.

It's destruction by hands an angry mob of racist.
Scenes from the once prosperous Black town in Oklahoma Green wood.
edit on 12-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Add content

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Looks like a few crumbs were left for Charlotte. Maybe it's an advance hint to Democrat leaders all over the country what they'll get from the Trump Administration after November 3, 2020?

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I guess bad things were happening to black people everyday back then and there was no way to avoid setting dates for rallies and conventions on anniversaries of tragic events.

Why would they set these dates on purpose during a time of social unrest? He said himself that he's done more for the black community than any other President in history and compared himself to Abraham Lincoln in the context of getting bad media press. 🤔

I sound full of it but there's a shred of seriousness in there, somewhere. It would really make no sense to have events on sensitive dates because the left wing media would surely splatter it across their websites as they're already doing.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:25 AM
link   
So , something happened somewhere In the US past and Trump should avoid that part of the US.
If that is what one believes , they are hopelessly lost in the ignorance.

edit on 6/12/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Looks like a few crumbs were left for Charlotte. Maybe it's an advance hint to Democrat leaders all over the country what they'll get from the Trump Administration after November 3, 2020?

Maybe, maybe not. No one knows who's going to win in November, it's all wishful thinking.

I'm just wondering if these dates are coincidences or on purpose.
edit on 12-6-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:30 AM
link   

True very true...But still this guy??? He doesn't have the info to come up with the idea on his own..Perhaps if he got rid of such advisors he'd be a better President.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:32 AM
link   

If Biden wins, Americans deserve what will be coming our way.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
So , something happened somewhere In the US past and Trump should avoid that part of the US.

Naaw ma guy, it was chosen twice, but look how you choose to render it.
something happened somewhere In the US past and Trump should avoid that part of the US.
Like it was a throwaway foot note ywaan!!

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Whomever wins we all lose...

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Admittedly, it must suck to have a virus pandemic crippling the economy, killing hundreds of thousands of people, and race riots in your election year but this is what it's looking like right now.

Basically meaningless because it's so early but he's definitely got some work to do.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Naaw ma guy, it was chosen twice, but look how you choose to render it.
something happened somewhere In the US past and Trump should avoid that part of the US.
Like it was a throwaway foot note ywaan!!

Well , I wouldn't expect Trump to go most places in the US , then...
Oh , wait.
Washington D.C.
No one should ever live in the US again
And I take it , you will not be a votin for Trump for US President in the US Presidential election.

Denying ignorance .
Why ?
Ignorance makes no sense.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel

Admittedly, it must suck to have a virus pandemic crippling the economy, killing hundreds of thousands of people, and race riots in your election year but this is what it's looking like right now.

Basically meaningless because it's so early but he's definitely got some work to do.

Plus never underestimate DNC competence in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory..

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 03:53 AM
link   

How dare people still live in those parts. And how dare any person would run for any political position in those parts.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

How dare people still live in those parts. And how dare any person would run for any political position in those parts.

Symbolism and not even dog whistle anymore, but it's ok continue to play pretend..

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Come on you guys, the majority of what Trump does is strategy. Did it ever occur to some of you that this is a place he will try to unite people? Everyone is quick to say how wrong this is, choosing this location to something political, but think about the possibility for bringing people together. I will say he's done a very poor job of that regarding the Floyd killing, but there could actually be a positive motive behind this location.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Come on you guys, the majority of what Trump does is strategy. Did it ever occur to some of you that this is a place he will try to unite people? Everyone is quick to say how wrong this is, choosing this location to something political, but think about the possibility for bringing people together. I will say he's done a very poor job of that regarding the Floyd killing, but there could actually be a positive motive behind this location.

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt so many times but ended up being burnt, I even kinda asshalf try to do so above , but rolled it back cuz I don't believe he is capable.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: HalWesten

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt so many times but ended up being burnt, I even kinda asshalf try to do so above , but rolled it back cuz I don't believe he is capable.

You may very well be right on this, I'm still holding out hope that he will do the right thing.

posted on Jun, 12 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Do you do you seriously think so? With all the images of MAGA supporters spitting and screaming at protesters, and reenacting George Floyd's death. Do you actually think he will choose to not pander to his base but instead anger them by supporting the majority of Americans?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join