It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Modern Approach To Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:20 AM
link   
My opinion is a gigantic part of the problems is that we try to tackle modern issues with old ideas. All our ideologies, political philosophies are mostly approaching their 100th birthday. And they've never worked, never served anybody well, they're just creating additional problems and divisions.

What I'd suggest is simple a body of state servants, ministers, chosen by aptitude, not along party lines, working out 3-5 suggestions, or strategies, how we want to handle any and all issues, how to pay for it, etc, a week discussion period and people get to vote on what they want and how long they want to try before we re-evaluate and maybe adjust that strategy.
If 25% of the population have voted that's what's going to happen. Nowadays we could do that super easy, just a MMS with a finger print or face ID.
If it was less, the ministers get to vote and that's then 1:1 with the percentage of the popular vote. Who made the winning suggestions gets to put his name on it to keep them motivated.
But it would get rid off those stupid identity crap where it's always obvious from the beginning that... well the king for 4 years will suck because all humans do if you look closely.
One week regional issues, the next national. And in case of emergency the ministers have interim powers.

Bamm! I just fixed all our problems.

*this is part of an ongoing discussion in another thread. But I'd like to hear some additional opinions, if you got the time.

edit on 10-6-2020 by Peeple because: oopsy

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss?

Perhaps running for public office should be a requirement for suffrage. If you don't play the game, you can't.
Term limits for all public offices would be good too.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'd say maybe public service of some kind and not office, because I'd like to have a high number of participants in the discourse, but sure why not.
Public office, like head of a ministry, or town shouldn't rotate too much I think. But I am sure we could come up with a mechanism to determine when it's time for a change.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I am sure we could come up with a mechanism to determine when it's time for a change.
How's that working out so far?

Appointees vs elected. The elected, in order to be effective, will appoint those who know what they are doing. No matter how long they have held the position. Instead of close relatives, political lackeys, and business associates and such.

In a perfect world.

edit on 6/10/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well in my opinion it would require some serious streamlining of the body of career politicians and hopefully since there's a lot less power to be gained, fame only if you make great popular suggestions the job would attract a very different kind of people.
Solution orientated altruists, instead of greedy narcissits.
edit on 10-6-2020 by Peeple because: why's there a comma peeple? Why?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:42 AM
link   
What I'd suggest is voluntary extinction. Solve all the problems in the human world in one fell swoop. Once humans are gone, there are no more problems for us to solve with solutions that only create more new problems so the leaders of the future can sit there and tell the future people they have to give up everything they have to fix the problems they made.

(I am, of course, just talking out my ass)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Let's make that Plan Z

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:49 AM
link   

I think that those who run for public office (or seek any position of authority) purely out of altruism are a minority, if not a rarity. I think that such ambitions may be indicative of personality flaws which can manifest in less than benevolent ways. This does not mean that they cannot do the job effectively, but that they should always be under close scrutiny. And term limits.

If public service were somehow a requirement, we might find some who see it as a job to be done (well) rather than a privilege to be taken advantage of.

edit on 6/10/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss?

Perhaps running for public office should be a requirement for suffrage. If you don't play the game, you can't.
Term limits for all public offices would be good too.

I might add too that no profiteering if you go in with a net value of 100 grand you leave with a net value of 100 grand if you have more then the rest goes into the community fund for all project.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   

My opinion is a gigantic part of the problems is that we try to tackle modern issues with old ideas. All our ideologies, political philosophies are mostly approaching their 100th birthday. And they've never worked, never served anybody well, they're just creating additional problems and divisions.

What I'd suggest is...
...the same thing that was suggested 100 years ago... 200 years ago... 300 years ago...

Every generation thinks they have the answers. Every single one. They look at the world around them and see inefficiency. I did; my children did; my parents did; my grandparents did. Every generation thinks they know how to fix the problems they see. Every generation fails to accept that their ideas were proposed before and found wanting.

Your idea is based on an assumption of altruism where no evidence of altruism exists. Every person on the planet is primarily concerned with themselves first and foremost. It has to be that way, or we wouldn't have survived this long and Brian Flanders' plan Z would have already come to pass. Our altruism exists only when our own needs are met. Some have lower levels for when that threshold occurs... have one's needs been met when one is not starving? Well-fed? Assured of a lifetime of food? Assured of a lifetime of whatever food they might desire? Whatever that individual threshold is, a person will only give up their food to another when it is reached. That's just human nature.

Unfortunately, politicians are very intelligent creatures. They know how people think, and they know how to take advantage of how people think. It's not possible to outlaw politicians, either... anyone in a position of power that is beholden to the public is, by definition, a politician. The only way to get rid of politicians is to have a monarchy... not a good idea IMO. So whatever your plan, if the public has any say in it, it will be infiltrated by politicians who have their own best interests at heart. It's just the way mankind is and has always been.

Oh, and Term Limits. (You're welcome, Phage.)

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

if you go in with a net value of 100 grand you leave with a net value of 100 grand if you have more then the rest goes into the community fund for all project.

Let's examine that.

Person A goes into politics with a net worth of 100 Grand. He does a good job and when he leaves office a few years later he does so under a booming economy: wages are up, unemployment is down, people are happy and secure about the future, and prices have gone up in the stock market and real estate. He is now worth $200 Grand because of that good economy. So we take half of everything he owns and give it away to others. When someone comes in and tanks the economy, he only has 50 Grand.

Person B goes into politics with a net worth of 100 Grand. He does a lousy job, and when he leaves office a few years later the economy has tanked: people are struggling to find jobs, wages have dropped, everyone is hoarding whatever they can, and prices have dropped in the stock market and real estate. He still has a net worth of 100 Grand because he's been busy buying up stuff and actually has twice what he did but it's only worth half as much. He gets to keep everything he has. Later on, someone else comes in, doubles the value of everything, and now Person B has 200 Grand for doing a bad job.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

But Term Limits.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

Did you see him repressing me?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You forgot about the cherry on top:

Whenever the people choose "wrong" the experts who worked out the solution overrule them and do what they deem best anyway.

Isn't that how it works nowadays?

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I'm all for trying new things and seeing what works.

many in my country are scared to do that.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I've always wanted to see a move to voting over issues not personalities. So much energy is wasted and power given to individuals with the financial ability to promote themselves. The results would change as society evolves and the implementation could be carried out by qualified workers for average wages based on experience. Why is Trudeau running our country? Everybody voted for him here purely because he's prettier than Harper and everybody wanted Harper out... there were no other options. Piss poor system that favours the rich. Trudeau came out of nowhere to run and this is something that only the wealthy and well connected can do. It's nothing more than bought monarchy. Time for a change.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo
I've always wanted to see a move to voting over issues not personalities. So much energy is wasted and power given to individuals with the financial ability to promote themselves. The results would change as society evolves and the implementation could be carried out by qualified workers for average wages based on experience. Why is Trudeau running our country? Everybody voted for him here purely because he's prettier than Harper and everybody wanted Harper out... there were no other options. Piss poor system that favours the rich. Trudeau came out of nowhere to run and this is something that only the wealthy and well connected can do. It's nothing more than bought monarchy. Time for a change.

Ummm...do you actually know anyone that votes because of personality...?

I voted for President Trump...not because I like the man...but because he said he would attempt to level the trade playing field...which he has...
Because he stated that he wouldn't involve us in needless war...a promise kept so far...
Because he stated that he would boost not just the economy...but also lower taxes...which he has...
Because he stated that he would drastically cut unemployment by creating jobs...which he accomplished...

Those were all policy decisions...those policy decisions are why I voted for him...and why I'll vote for him again...

I didn't vote against anybody...nor did I vote for somebody because I shared the same racial characteristics...Nor would I ever vote for someone based on personality...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think term limits will continue to have too many career politicians standing against it. It would help because special interest would have a harder time staying entrenched in the system. If we can not accomplish that perhaps we can have the same mandatory retirement age for congress that we have for federal law enforcement or the FAA. If you are cognitively impaired by just getting too old and need to be commanded by your advisors maybe it is time to put down the gavel and allow someone less impaired takeover.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Democracy in the end is done by strength in numbers and word of mouth, while Constitutions and Charters are written on paper, and one ability read between the lines.

top topics

join