It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family and Kinship Can Be Bittersweet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I just got a call from my nephew. He is planning an outing for his family for when things get back to traveling without too many restrictions.
He said he wants to make their first trip to be to my house, because he wants his girls to see their great grandma and Auntie.

I will admit I was touched. I told him how much of a pleasure it will be to see him, his wife, and the girls. He then said something that got these old rusty wheels to turning. He said, "Auntie, the best memories I have of my childhood, are the times that I spent with you and Nana." "I don't want my children to grow up only knowing you from stories and pictures."

My nephew is an only child and he spent all his holidays and school breaks at my house. Along with a ton of his cousins. My Mother lives with me, so spending time with Nana, meant that Auntie came as a bonus. He was the only one that was an only child so these visits were the only times that he had the experiences of family. A place were he was welcomed, loved, and cherished.

My Mother had 10 children, 5 boys and 5 girls. She has 21 grandchildren, and Nana's house was summer camp and holiday village. Most of my nieces and nephews are grown and with children on their own. Some live a couple of hours away, a few within walking distance, yet my nephew that lives so far away thinks that visiting Nana and Auntie is the most important thing he can give his children right now.

Why? Because the rest of my nieces and nephews were blessed to be wrapped in love and kinship, to the point were they did not ever know what it felt like to be without it. These old rusty wheels once turning, made me realize how bittersweet unconditional love and kinship is.

We all hope for the love that is so present and steady that we take it for granted because we know nothing less. The bitterness comes from it being so ever present that you don't notice it until it is gone.

new topics

join