It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minneapolis City Council set to disband the city's police department

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

To be fair. . . .

The City Council will be putting up signs stating that all areas are "Crime-Free" Zones.

So it'll be okay.

If you notice, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, etc. haven't touched this story yet today....

.....because their mental gymnasts haven't found a way to spin into something remotely logical yet.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I think they will keep state police and sheriffs, but a bit of a over reaction. Yes their will be a rise in crime..

Minneapolis, is being ran by gangs right now anyway. Cops are not going to those areas anyhow.

Who the hell wants to be a cop in this country anyhow.. give them anarchy and mob rule.

They’ll learn the hard way... give em what they want.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   

CNN Conference room

"Alright guys, how are we going to pin this on Trump? I want answers in 5 minutes!"

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
1. Loonies abolish the police.
2. Wealthy hire private security.
3. Loonies demand “private security for all”
4. Loonies establish the police.

It would be more funny if they didn't un-ironically call it a victory after all of that.

Or

The libertarian in me is so conflicted in these times. People are showing signs of scaling back the bloated government, but the catch is they go after the police first... Then they'll say they tried libertarianism but it failed and use this as an example.

Either way it turns out bad.
edit on 7-6-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
1. Loonies abolish the police.
2. Wealthy hire private security.
3. Loonies demand “private security for all”
4. Loonies establish the police.

In the end, their just gonna blame the failure on white people anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Do the neighboring cities and counties set up check points and deploy the national guard?

As soon as a white man shoots a black man for any reason there will be a public lynching.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I don’t suppose they have anything to say about the lack of leadership and accountability that has occurred under their watch?

Who am I kidding.. take responsibility for the failures of your subordinates....huh...

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

Yup, white people in Minneapolis, that do not kneel, will be lynched for being racists.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
OOPS

DP
edit on 7-6-2020 by Bicent because: DP

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Good give us all their addresses so we can go and loot their homes and then will burn down the capital.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

I've yet so see a compelling argument as to how and why this will work. So if anyone on ATS has any insight on the proposed nuts and bolts of this plan, by all means....share.

This is the most informative I've found:

City council announces plan to disband Minneapolis Police Department

There is a majority that can't be vetoed by the mayor.

This weekend, an op-ed from Ward 3 councilor Steve Fletcher proposed some situations in which alternatives to police officers will be used, such as by dispatching mental health professionals to mental health crisis calls, and fire department EMTs to opioid overdose calls. Traffic offenses meanwhile could be handled by an increase in camera coverage, or the city's street parking teams. Details are limited given it's at the start of a wider dismantling process, including with regards as to who would provide the primary law enforcement. It's possible that the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office could play a role, given Minneapolis is in its jurisdiction.

While calls to dismantle the police department have been resisted by Mayor Jacob Frey, who instead is calling for wider reforms, the council appears to have 9 out of 12 votes needed to pass a veto-proof proposal.

Bender says that the council will start a conversation with its residents about what a new, "community-led" system will look like.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Evacuate now before its too late !!!!

Do not trust this U.N.plan in the making !!!

Be AFRAID. Be VERY Afraid !! ⭕😈⭕

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Traffic offenses meanwhile could be handled by an increase in camera coverage, or the city's street parking teams

Lol.

So even if we disband the police we become more like China.

Again, it will be touted as a victory just because they got a response, even if it is a worse one. Imagine living in a city with cameras everywhere. As if it's already not bad enough with the surveillance.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

They deployed the elf on the shelf too late for many of us.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Everybody hates cops and lawyers........

Until they need one.

Well if I was a cop and I got a call to report to a neighborhood with let’s say a “reputation”,, I might stop for a coffee and a donut on the way.
It is much safer to sort out the bodies later than to get involved in a no win situation.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

They'll just use Contract-tracing and track everyone from now on by their cell phones.

It's 1983. December 31st, by the way.

edit on 7-6-2020 by DBCowboy because: I am Batman

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
I've yet so see a compelling argument as to how and why this will work. So if anyone on ATS has any insight on the proposed nuts and bolts of this plan, by all means....share.

I actually heard quite a compelling argument today. First you have to get beyond the Right vs Left screaming match.

"Defund Police" is actually not a proposal to do away with the police and if people ignore the noise and listen it's rather logical.

The idea as I gather it, is more of a reorganization from the ground up.

Police are often used for things they should not be involved in. There are times when a person with a badge and a gun are the wrong answer. One example was responding to a person with a known mental illness. Rather than having a cop show up, scare them, anger them and make matters worse, a mental health professional would instead respond. A person with the knowledge and skill needed to deal with the person and defuse the situation.

I frankly don't know yet how I feel about idea's like that one. I do know if people stop yelling at each other and stop letting the media do the thinking for us, perhaps there is something to this idea. The partisan media is not exactly presenting the idea's logically for discussion.

It may be time to tune out the media and the party propaganda from both sides and have real conversations about new idea's. We will always need the police as they are now to deal with the bad guys, but maybe, just maybe, it's time to rethink how they are used. First though, the divide to control media and politicians, need to step aside and listen to peoples idea's.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I believe they are only doing this to please their voters. If they really actually wanted to do this they would not have waited for mass protests and riots and people demanding it.

The Democrat leaders there are at risk of losing votes if they do not do something extreme like this.

The problem is, they will be potentially putting lives at risk and opening up the city to higher rates of crime as criminal activity has been shown to be directly correlated with police presence.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Boadicea

Traffic offenses meanwhile could be handled by an increase in camera coverage, or the city's street parking teams

Lol.

So even if we disband the police we become more like China.

Again, it will be touted as a victory just because they got a response, even if it is a worse one. Imagine living in a city with cameras everywhere. As if it's already not bad enough with the surveillance.

The cameras are coming whether we like it or not. Atlanta Georgia has the highest number of cameras in the U.S with around 7800 cameras which is around 15 per 1000 people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join