It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

06 JUNE 1944 " on this day in history " - OPERATION OVERLORD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   
as i write this - , 76 years ago - paratroops had already secured vital points inland , and on the coast - and the spear-hhead was on the beaches - gaining the vital toe-hold into europe for the western allies .

no references , no cittations needed - just a silent rememberance of those who " did what had to be done "

this day - opened up the path .

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Thus opening the Second Front that the Sovs needed to really begin rolling back the Germans in the East.

I look at it, and it's almost shocking to realize that most of the men who went ashore that day were young enough to be my children, or even my grand children...

My father was, on this day in '44, was on board a troop ship headed for the Mariana's invasion. Saipan, and later, Guam.

So young. So scared. So very brave.

Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword. Names that should be remembered, and honored.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
"John has a long mustache."

This is not a joke, look it up.
edit on 6 6 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

you know all the sh@@ going on in the world today i forgot all about the men and women that fought and served from all the counties involed to rid us of the axis powers.

sad part is i didn't see a damn thing about it, on any of the MSM's, or fish wrappers.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

the chair is against the wall

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Don't forget the home front, the anxious relatives.

Here is a letter which my grandmother was about to write to her daughter-in-law, my future mother. (My father was one of the lorry-drivers, and would be landing a couple of days later)

Cabourne,
Caistor,
Lincoln
6-6-44

My Dear Barbara,

The great day has arrived at last; although we have been daily expecting it, it comes as a shock to hear it announced, that it has really happened. We expect that Ben would have to go. From what they said on the wireless, I suppose that you won’t have seen him for a few days , at least.
When I heard the news, my thoughts flew at once to you & I wondered, if he had gone & when you saw him last., how very glad I am that he called in to see us. I can hardly think it was true, even yet; you must write & let us know as much as you can Barbara, & I’m afraid that it will be precious little, they have kept everything very hush-hush.
But it was nice that you were so near to him, there seem to be such a lot of people, who have no idea at all where their boys have been living lately.
Well, my dear, we wish them all good luck in this great venture & pray that God will take care of them & bring them safely home.
We trust that you are keeping well, Ben will know that you have a comfortable home & be well looked after, by Mrs Jones.
We are all nicely at home, hope you soon have news from Ben.
Love from all,
Mother & all
XXXX

P.S. write soon

edit on 6-6-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:00 AM
link   
My uncle Ernie was in that campaign . He took a grenade which got him back home, but cost him a leg later in life.
God rest his brave soul, and all the others that participated in the landings on those beaches.
edit on 6-6-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It's amazing how times change. These days, anyone in their mid 20's is still almost a child(mentally, and within the eyes of society).

To think my grandfather wasn't even 20 and he was headed for Europe to fight, They didn't have a choice, in a way. They didn't have the luxury of "putting off" the reality of the world, of bearing the burden and having to become MEN, leaders and fighters.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I have the utmost respect for every single person who took part in those landings and we should never, ever forget the huge debt we owe them for their service and bravery and for the sacrifice far too many had to pay.

It is a lesson in history we must insist our children and our children's chlidren continue to learn and honour.

I salute you all good Sir's and will forever be in your debt.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Yep.

A message sent by BBC to the French Resistance. Telling 'em the landings were going to commence soon.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

My grand-mothers spoke of it.

Knowing that their boys, who were all in the Pacific--same islands, too--during the war, were going into danger, but they wouldn't know for weeks, or even months, if they were safe, or not.

My Mom spoke of it, too, when my Dad was, again, in harms way, in Vietnam. Watching the news every night, hoping to see him, and, at the same time, hoping she wouldn't for fear he'd be shown injured, or worse.

I remember it, too, when my brother was in Iraq both times...wanting to see him, but knowing if I did, it'd probably be because the newsies were covering something dangerous, and that he might be injured or worse...

Odd, how some things never change. Only the speed with which the bad new would reach the loved ones at home...

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 05:09 AM
link   

#WWII #Veteran #Normandy
D-Day 76th Anniversary // We Still Remember

"#WWII #Veteran Jack Foy reads the prayer that Franklin D. Roosevelt gave just before the invasion of #Normandy 76 years ago on June 6, 1944. We have been taking veterans back to Normandy for the D-Day celebrations for more years than we can even count. We are all very sad that can't be there this year, but we still remember them and will continue to honor them however we can. We will be walking 3.1 miles (Distance Of Omaha Beach to Pointe Du Hoc) with people all over the world on June 6, 2020 to honor those that fought on D-Day".

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Was just coming to post that, good find.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   
My grandpa was driving amphibious tanks in the Pacific Front while Normandy was under attack.

What a terrifying proposition for allied soldiers: you're either storming beaches and parachuting into heavily fortified German positions, or you're island hopping where the Japanese are prepared to defend every square inch of the beach down to the last man, to the last drop of blood.

God bless these soldiers that sacrificed so much to preserve our freedoms.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

God bless these soldiers that sacrificed so much to preserve our freedoms.

Indeed!

All those brave men and women who fought to preserve all the freedoms we still fight for today.......

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
remembering reading somewhere that something like 80% of the guys that parachuted in during the invasion were on their first flight in a plane ever.

Imagine that, fear of a first time flight and you get to jump out into combat I cant comprehend the level of anxiety or fear those men had.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'm not exactly a Francophile, far from it.

Every year on the anniversay of the D-Day landings there are remembrance services on all the Normandy beaches.

This year it has been impossible for any surviving servicemen and women to attend - no service personnel at all were able to be there.
But the local French communities insisted on going ahead with the services and remembering and honouring all those who landed there and particularly those who paid the ultimated sacrifice.
The majority of the French people present weren't born when the landings took place but their gratitude was still obvious.

My respect for the French people has gone up a notch or two today.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

You'd think, and apparently they agree, that the French would be the absolute last folks to forget about what D-day meant to them.

The beginning of liberation...

Good on them for going on with the remembrance!!

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

We all have a tendency to lump people together.

I have to admit I have no time for the stereotypical French person; they are arrogant and aloof and despise the English with a passion.
They even resent us for having provided a safe haven for those few French who sought to fight on in WII after they so lamely capitulated to the Germans and for continuing the fight and being part of the force that eventually freed them.

But I know people who visit France regularly and they constantly remind me that stereotypes are rarely accurate and that there are many regional differences.
People from Brittany and Normandy are as different from Parisians as North Easterners like me are different from Londoners.

And those French from Normandy are very appreciative of the sacrifices made back in June 1944 and take pride in Remembering those brave souls.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I think we had better not mention Vichy France.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join