It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Questions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm writing something, yes it's just fiction, but I don't want it to be dumb. Unfortunately I'm dealing with several brain farts and a knot. Hope you guys can help me fix it.

I've already established the people in the story got technology that allows them to manipulate mass/density at will with ... well basically batteries.
Where I want to get to is time travel. My idea is they need to move space to soften the blow if they are doing it.

1. time is slower when gravity increases
  2. mass gets bigger if you approach c
  3. The force
    = mass × acceleration, ie kg × (m/s^2)
  4. the gravitational aspect I want to use is N/m = m/s^2

It's all hypothetical, they're very advanced, so don't worry about that a lot especially in regards to energy is possible. The idea is if time gets slower and we assume c is no limitation, because they are not moving on spacetime like we do but inside it, you know what I mean? They opened it up as additional dimension.

So after I confused myself and you probably too:
To go backwards they simply go full throttle on acceleration and mass and energy and in consequence distance.

But how do I get them to move forwards? I have to invent something right? Like spacetime is made of different layers and they decrease their mass, energy, density and "travel" the "latitude"?

Could that work? Do you have a better idea? Because they need to time travel.
edit on 5-6-2020 by Peeple because: list, or no list?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
perhaps when they opened another dimension that brought them to a portal or wormhole into which they could step and hence were traversed to another time. and maybe that would be ok but if it had to be a specific time in the future then perhaps that wouldn't work as they need that choice of what year they wanted to travel to... otherwise it might be ok and would save you working out formula to fit with their needs in your story, most of which the ordinary person wouldn't understand anyway so you may be losing nothing in the plot if you side step your problem with some sort of fix as above.....

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Everyone has there own version of time travel so mine is a bit different to most, I see the past as a fixed and immovable thing, if we travel back we are really NOT travelling back but into a parallel dimension that is happened after our own primary (from our perspective) dimension (maybe all actions have a quantum ripple affect - reducing your dimensional amplitude while increasing your dimensional bandwidth therefore may enable you to step into those other reality's that are really ripples of our own reality spreading outward at an angle to the time space continuum, think about a cocktail umbrella - your present reality is the tip of that umbrella but if you slid down the side of it just a bit you are in a reality that is identical but behind in time just a bit and is in fact a parallel reality - not quite the same as ordinary parallel reality's but one's in which time has a wider aperture - and it only exists in that tiny area of the ring that form's the ripple itself - if you were to look down on it but a lower strength as it is merely an echo of the time from the prime reality), so they can then create an entirely different time line from that point but it is not going to affect them as it will not affect there own past only change it in a parallel dimension.

Some folk's have deja vu and some are said to be able to see the future or live out in a world were something they dreamed actually happen's.

Parapsychologists have a number of names - prolepsis, precognition etc.

But generally in a quantum universe filled with many parallel reality's what we may be seeing is people whose consciousness somehow span's multiple dimension's a little like some that claim to have experienced so called Mandela effect upon there lives (hand up here I am one of them though mine was before the phrase was even coined).

So they could be seeing or part living out in there parallel selves what happens in those other parallel reality's and as a greater whole be able to at a conscious or subconscious level use this as a warning to help navigate through there own existence.

BUT if you could actually travel into the ACTUAL past not just a parallel version of it that is identical until you show up from our dimension into that one then the whole paradox idea become a reality and a potentially very dangerous one.

edit on 5-6-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
I'm writing something, yes it's just fiction, but I don't want it to be dumb. Unfortunately I'm dealing with several brain farts and a knot. Hope you guys can help me fix it.

I've already established the people in the story got technology that allows them to manipulate mass/density at will with ... well basically batteries.
Where I want to get to is time travel. My idea is they need to move space to soften the blow if they are doing it.

1. time is slower when gravity increases
  2. mass gets bigger if you approach c
  3. The force
    = mass × acceleration, ie kg × (m/s^2)
  4. the gravitational aspect I want to use is N/m = m/s^2

It's all hypothetical, they're very advanced, so don't worry about that a lot especially in regards to energy is possible. The idea is if time gets slower and we assume c is no limitation, because they are not moving on spacetime like we do but inside it, you know what I mean? They opened it up as additional dimension.

So after I confused myself and you probably too:
To go backwards they simply go full throttle on acceleration and mass and energy and in consequence distance.

But how do I get them to move forwards? I have to invent something right? Like spacetime is made of different layers and they decrease their mass, energy, density and "travel" the "latitude"?

Could that work? Do you have a better idea? Because they need to time travel.

Interesting! Thanks for making me think.

Wouldn't the m's cancel each other out in this equation, N/m = m/s^2? So you get N=1/s^2? You probably already know that.
Sorry i am sure you were just being clear to make it easier for us to understand.

I always thought, though dont know if it is even possible, that you would warp spacetime around your craft. Then based on the shape you warped spacetime that would control your direction and speed.

Does that make a bit of sense?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

That's exactly why they have to tt. They want to create a paradox.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

One is mass in N/m
The other is meter.

So your solution is geometry? That's possible, there's some cool stuff, ... that's actually really cool...
Thanks

Oh gaaaaawd hyperspace.... SHAME
edit on 5-6-2020 by Peeple because: add

I'll just park this here

I really love the idea, but what shape would make sense?

edit on 5-6-2020 by Peeple because: Addington

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Take a look at the Empires at War series by Doug Dandridge. He uses something similar to what I think you're trying to explain with, "latitudes."

He has some other more advanced notions for travel (not time so much as speed, but same idea). The human emperor actually makes use of time travel to save his children in one of the later books.

This makes his advisors and scientists very angry.

All in all, a good series.

David Drake also has some very sound-seeming ideas in his sci-fi.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   

But how do I get them to move forwards? I have to invent something right?

Invent something that creates mini black holes, that they can use to "fall" forwards.

edit on 5-6-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

One is mass in N/m
The other is meter.

So your solution is geometry? That's possible, there's some cool stuff, ... that's actually really cool...
Thanks

Thanks... for this to work of course, spacetime would "want to" always go back to its natural unwarped state... which i am guessing would because it is what everything else does in the universe as far as i can tell. So it is spacetimes natural tendency to want to be at a natural state that collapses back down on itself and pushes you in the direction you want to go.

I guess the problem in what you are trying to create vs my scenario is that i don't know if it would enable you to time travel but rather just distance travel at nearly the speed of light.

But since this is all stuff we are just making up I suppose it can do whatever you would like it to do.

This made me think of something i never thought of before... so thanks. So the issue this brought up for me is would travelling forward in time ever really be possible since it hasn't occurred yet therefore not yet in existence. Because if it did exist before we traveled to it wouldn't that mean our fate is predetermined?

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

This made me think of something i never thought of before... so thanks. So the issue this brought up for me is would travelling forward in time ever really be possible since it hasn't occurred yet therefore not yet in existence. Because if it did exist before we traveled to it wouldn't that mean our fate is predetermined?

Thats is the way that I have always regarded time travel. Also perhaps if one was to travel back in time they would have always been back there in the timeline , so I have never seen a paradox here myself. Just to be a bit more clear if one was to go back and `change` something in the past you just become part of history that has always been and that thing has always been changed (from the time that you changed it).
edit on 5-6-2020 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

They are so smart they realise time travel is a physical impossibility because the past only exists in our memories and the future only exists in our imaginations.

Time flows through us as it exists at each moment we experience.

There is only the "now".

Perhaps there is a way to incorporate a neuro link between people to experience other people's memories and imaginations with the realisation that is the best that could be done.

Preserving the brain information of those passed would add to the "neuro-wiki" but those passed whose memories and imaginations were not recorded will be lost forever, never to be experienced.

The problem with such high speed and accelleration as you describe it, negates the need to do the opposite and decellerate and be where you want in time.

It is impossible except in theory imo and the paradoxes involved are everywhere.

I'd say a "virtual" time machine is the closest you could get unless you ignore the laws of the universe altogether.

If it's fiction, just invent anything you want and use plausible deniability and the concept that we (the reader) just have to accept what we cannot understand.

What's the story called, any idea yet?
edit on 5/6/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Also depends on the manner of device they are using. Make sure it's not a car or a gun or a foldaway disc or a phone booth or a necklace, those have already been done. Based on the images provided by Peeple I'm imagining a pyramid shaped elevator of sorts that carries you from reality to reality, AI based interface, and it can access archive locations because it has 6 dimensional programming and it's physics operate in multiple formats depending on the density readings of its self diagnostics and inhabitants. But I don't see this means of transportation being built in 3D reality as we know it, more of a Coke bottle being dropped from a plane and someone found it and started playing wizard of Oz.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Sounds a little like Mass Effect, with the being able to manipulate mass. I think you would have to invent something to make the time travel work. Think like subspace in Star Trek, or the way Star Wars hyperdrives work. And since you're making it up you get to make all the rules.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

Only if you would interpreted time as single threaded linear you 'could' say it has not occured (as we don't have proof).

If you think of multithreaded timelines we can not know for sure. That would bring me back to the OP:

I never saw time travel as linear. You detach yourself from the timeline (with whatever tech you are writing about) and from there you can move in each direction, for the lack of better wording, you can go backwards, forwards and sideways to a next "thread" in time.

As some say each choice makes 2 roads in time (split) it would be interesting to explore the topic how 2 choices in different thread would have the outcome of one and the same thread in the 'forward' future (combine). As that would touch the topic of destiny in a multi threaded linear time travel existence.

edit on 5-6-2020 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
i don't think there is a NOW. there is the past behind us, and the future which we are active in right now. So life is just one ongoing journey into the future from the off. for instance tomorrow is the future and we are already travelling to that place right now as we remain alive..a never stopping journey to the future there is no now we cannot stop in the now and rest for a week or an hour. life as we know it is a continual journey through time...albeit just a short time in relation to the existence of this planet.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thank you guys, you really help me get the thinker jogging.
to all of you fine folks.

My idea is now a "pancake" universe, where all the different moments in time are basically a membrane full of stored information in three categories:
Consciousness in some fancy bit I still have to name
Matter in Quarks
And the forces as relationship-bonds-interaction-thingy I also still need to work out
& time is the "organisation system"

So I probably will do something unspectacular like "open file insano-zillion b5" and let them jump up and down on that pile of pancakes.

But you helped thank you

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   
A sphere or "bubble" made by a force field or shield will get you what you want. A force field completely surrounding the space craft will eliminate gravity affecting the mass of the ship. Inside will not be affected at all. it will stop all gravitational, radiational and light from penetrating. The ship becomes weightless and kinda sorta "not there". Since the space around the craft has become analogous to water, all that is needed to propel it is creating a "bubble" in the direction of travel and collapsing the "bubble" behind it. This in turn makes the craft scoot through space as if it were squeezed from the inrush of gravity affecting the "bubble".

Changing the frequency of the force shield will propel the craft forward or backwards in time. That is to say if your current sphere frequency is 10 and the directional bubble is 10 the space time continuum is not changed. If the current sphere is 10 and the directional bubble is created at 11, the craft jumps incrementally forward in time and reciprocally if the directional bubble is 9, the craft reverses into time. Remember, the actual frequencies have to be set in memory so that the craft can return to its own timeline.

Lots of nuances create eddys in the continuum, be it the craft's shape, surrounding space, purity of power used, and other anomalies that seem to pop up at the most in opportune time. That is why a very powerful and very shielded computer must be used to augment the travel.

Hope that helps,
NF

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Curious thought ? would this time travel exist without these complex equations. Say if it was simplified by the likes of Nassim Haramein or Michio Kaku ? A layman could understand even at rest, where-as some would be virtually unintelligible.... that came with a chalkboard of equasions.

Same outcome, different language.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
peep...... I can't keep up with you

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join