It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Himalayan Glaciers 'Melting Fast'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The glaciers of Himalaya are melting at the rate of about 10-15m (33-49ft) each year. The first result will be flooding of the rivers. The rivers will then start to dry up within a few decades, leaving behind eco and environmental problems. Farmers in rural China are dependent on irrigation and this would lead to catasthrope to them.

news.bbc.co.uk
Melting glaciers in the Himalayas could lead to water shortages for hundreds of millions of people, the conservation group WWF has warned.

In a report, the WWF says India, China and Nepal could experience floods followed by droughts in coming decades.

The Himalayas contain the largest store of water outside the polar ice caps, and feed seven great Asian rivers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Those floods will take the farming land and homes from the people living near the rivers and there won't be much left to make a living when the draughts finally kick in. This partically doesn't look good for the poor people who do not have much now and won't have even that in the future. I hope at least China and India as the largerst nations affected by the melting will consider reducing their CO2 emissions more drastically.

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
www2.cbs5.com

[edit on 14-3-2005 by Oblomov]

[edit on 14-3-2005 by Oblomov]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

`The rapid melting of Himalayan glaciers will first increase the volume of water in rivers causing widespread flooding,'' said Jennifer Morgan, head of WWF's global climate change program. ``But in a few decades this situation will change and the water level in rivers will decline, meaning massive economic and environmental problems for people in Western China, Nepal and Northern India.''

This is the problem with this problem- 'a few decades from now.' No one is going to be overly concerned nor are the countries involved going to spend money for flood control when the problem is decades off. Let disaster hit (repeatedly in this instance) and some after the fact actions will be taken.

As to decreasing CO- not going to happen. China and India are at the beginning stages of massive industrialization schemes. Neither will cut back because of some eco-disaster. Both nations have proved that ecology is way in the back seat behind economic concerns.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Don't forget to add the USA in the list of big CO2 producers intent on continuing and increasing the volume. After all global warming isn't happening is it, so it's business as usual. Those glaciers aren't really melting, just ask the AGWB who say that glaciers are increasing. They said so right here somewhere but I can't be ar..d searching.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
There has just been extensive flooding throughout Asia over the last few months including the Pakistan dam collapse. Once again some of the worlds weirder weather. Sometimes I really do think that movies like "The Day After Tomorrow" are released to desensitize us and prepare us in a subliminal, or blatant way about the things to come.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
No point in worrying about it now... It's too late bar an increadible breakthrough we better learn to adapt. I hope we have more then a few decades but I will prepare just in case. I was going to do so anyway but I guess I better get a move on. heh

top topics

join