It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Appeal to "Riot Tourism"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I have read a few stories on ATS, seen some footage on YT and other sites, where folks that don't have any dwelling/property in the vicinity of riots, aren't employed by LE, or MSM, or are otherwise invested in the goings on, but yet.... there they are. Standing on the periphery of the action, some taking pics/videos, others just watching.

They are not participating in the rioting and looting.

They don't have signs, aren't chanting or demonstrating.

Mostly they are standing there with phone cameras or other photographic devices and recording "the proceedings".

On the one hand, it is rather beneficial to have "eyes on" that are not affiliated with either the MSM or the government, as in theory these people should have access to footage that isn't censored, edited or tampered with to build a narrative.

On the other hand, it just adds to the confusion, as in the heat of the moment, they could end up being misidentified and targeted either by LE or the rioters. Could prove to be an incredibly dangerous activity, for a number of reasons.

I'm curious, for those here from ATS that have traveled to the scene of the rioting, NOT TO DEMONSTRATE, NOT TO PROTECT THEIR PROPERTY AND NOT AS PART OF THEIR EMPLOYMENT : why are you doing this?

Out of altruism, trying to record events and post to social media or blog as an unbiased source of facts?

Out of curiosity, getting a look at what's transpiring to satisfy interest in the subject?

Or is it "just to watch the world burn"

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The same reason that during 60's they had tour buses gawking at the hippies.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I've never gone out of my way to go see a riot, or a protest gone wrong.

But I've stumbled across large protests and the like. I was in Toronto during the whole 'occupy (insert what ever financial hub of a city is here)' In the case of Toronto it was Bay st.
But I remember it wasn't even close to Bay, really, it was just a park occupied by a tent city with rave kids all squatting there until the next ecstasy educed rave started up. And a group of people all walking the streets protesting the big wigs in the banks.

Another time was a little more serious, a protest against gang violence in Trinidad, when we were walking back from the zoo in Port of Spain a mob of anti gang protesters basically engulfed us, and we got taken for a walk. A police officer guided us out of the mess. And we just watched from the side lines on a patio at a TGIF. Was interesting. I wonder where those photos are.

People tend to gravitate to commotion, or want to see it for themselves, it's a twisted curiosity. Why did so many people show up to public executions? To watch someones head be chopped off or intestines being pulled out, we really are strange creatures.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
If you had a chance to march in the streets in the 60's would you have done it?

Whether you agree with it or not something big is going on in America.

Call it a revolution, it's destruction, or even a paradigm shift but when something this historical happens are you going to watch these things unfold and explained to you from your phones and televisions?

Or would you rather see first hand with your own point of view what's going on and be able to tell someone, I WAS THERE!

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
In the 1860’s people would have picnics on adjoining hillsides and watch the Civil War battles. But it isn’t like they were skipping sweeps week on TV back then either.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
I'm thinking Schism, for this whole mess!

edit on 4-6-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

That works too, I just figured vicarious answered the op well with its lyrics.

ETA: Also, to the op, the term I use for those people are lookie loos. Ya know those people.that slow down dto look at accidents or stare at any commotion, those people that search out accident or.disaster videos, the people today's sensationalized news is sold to etc.

edit on 4/6/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Mostly they are standing there with phone cameras or other photographic devices and recording "the proceedings". 

Social media culture; people have come to believe making a video of an event is participating in an event. Many people also fancy themselves YouTube juralists; they think their going to make a million bucks if they post enough videos on the internet.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
For sure, the more Tool,the better!

As for why people watch?

Like watching hockey, to see a fight, or a car race/drag race, to see a crash, or engine blow up. People have been cooped up as well..any spectacle. Still, nevermind the being cooped up..bad news sells

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Vicarious is a perfect example if you're sitting there watching it all unfold from your couch. Tool summed up the whole late 1990s and early 2000s in one song.
Reality TV, off the wall hollywood style journalism.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
I have read a few stories on ATS, seen some footage on YT and other sites, where folks that don't have any dwelling/property in the vicinity of riots, aren't employed by LE, or MSM, or are otherwise invested in the goings on, but yet.... there they are. Standing on the periphery of the action, some taking pics/videos, others just watching.

They are not participating in the rioting and looting.

They don't have signs, aren't chanting or demonstrating.

On the one hand, it is rather beneficial to have "eyes on" that are not affiliated with either the MSM or the government, as in theory these people should have access to footage that isn't censored, edited or tampered with to build a narrative.

On the other hand, it just adds to the confusion, as in the heat of the moment, they could end up being misidentified and targeted either by LE or the rioters. Could prove to be an incredibly dangerous activity, for a number of reasons.

I'm curious, for those here from ATS that have traveled to the scene of the rioting, NOT TO DEMONSTRATE, NOT TO PROTECT THEIR PROPERTY AND NOT AS PART OF THEIR EMPLOYMENT : why are you doing this?

Out of altruism, trying to record events and post to social media or blog as an unbiased source of facts?

Out of curiosity, getting a look at what's transpiring to satisfy interest in the subject?

Or is it "just to watch the world burn"

People storm watch and tornado hunt too. I'm glad there are thousands of cameras with pictures of looters and rioters faces for hopeful prosecution at some point, especially if they have previous records.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Vicarious is a perfect example if you're sitting there watching it all unfold from your couch. Tool summed up the whole late 1990s and early 2000s in one song.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

A Perfect Circle still is my favorite Maynard project, although in sum the works of Tool are much better.

Pucifer not so much.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
*shrugs* I thought about going to Ferguson, but about the same time I thought that the story started looking more odd so I stayed home then the protests went pear shaped.

But outside of that large gatherings of people I actively avoid because stupid behavior is sure to follow and once the rioting begins its hard for the cops to tell who is who so they have to treat all as a threat.

posted on Jun, 5 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I could hop on the train and be at the riots in NYC in little over an hour.

I have absolutely no wish to do so, and my thought process is:

- I don't want to get in the way of authorities containing the rioters, and if there's the slightest chance of me being misidentified or occupying attention of the police that should be focused on the riots, then my presence is net negative.

- Am I really that excited and eager to witness the horror and tragedy of the riots, the violence, the looting, the destruction of property and infliction of harm on innocent people? No, that actually makes me sick to think about; I've no desire to see this if I don't really need to (i.e. it's not happening in my city)

Understandably, everybody is different, and has different interests and tolerances they approach this subject with. Maybe when I was a younger man without the responsibilities I have now, and not being midway through a life in which I've already seen plenty of violence and mayhem, I would have an interest in watching. But as things are, I've seen enough and lived enough already such that this is not fascinating or intriguing to me. It turns my stomach.

That's just my opinion; everyone is entitled to their own.

top topics

join