It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Street lamps may 'increase breast cancer': Women are 10 PER CENT more likely to develop it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
SO here we have a report out in the daily mail about street lights increasing the risk of cancer but in every City I know of... the lights shine bright!

Do we think deep research was done on the effects of street lights when they first went to production? I doubt it or maybe the increase in cancer was known but street lighting increased nonetheless. I know in London where I live, the lights are blaring out all through the night when the streets are empty. So, what's that about?

Women are 10 PER CENT more likely to develop the disease if they are exposed to high levels of artificial outdoor light at night, study warns

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Living in a bustling metropolis may increase the likelihood of developing breast cancer compared to living in the countryside, a study suggests. Researchers found high levels of exposure to artificial light at night time could increase the risk of the disease by 10 per cent in post-menopausal women.

Does say 'may or 'could' in the article, so possible scare-mongering but ...

previous research has found the issue may be the artificial light interfering with the production of the pigment melanin. Melanin is a dark pigment which gives hair and skin its colour. The more melanin that is present, the darker a bodily tissue appears. But melanin is also heavily involved in controlling how the body recovers during sleep and it helps regulate the body's anticipation of darkness. Lab test have also found that the presence of melanin can prevent tumours from growing. It is possible that artificial light interrupts the body's natural circadian rhythm and therefore reduces the amount of melanin the body produces, scientists say.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

May increase baldness too by the sounds of it and we all know that too much light affects sleep and not enough sleep can cause stress, frustration and other problems.

So, I'm not sure whether they know these lights definitely cause breast cancer and they don't want to say it definitely does or they are saying it 'may'.

Confusing, Confusing.

Anyway, Ladies... watch out for the street lights!
edit on 3-6-2020 by CrazeeWorld777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
"Cell phones could cause brain cancer"

Yeah, it's worth looking into but skepticism should apply.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
i believe it is more of a cause of lack of vitamin D and natural sunlight versus artificial light itself causing cancer. So much research says low vitamin D leads to so many health problems including cancer. Every year they seem to up the dose needed. Some scientist say up to 10,000 iud a day is good. a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
They’ve found the same thing studying the effects of shift work.

We’re meant to sleep at night, in total darkness, or it messes with the wrong hormones.

Good thick blackout blinds are needed over the bedroom windows.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

It is very possible that there is a connection however given the other factors in city life, air pollution, water and food being less than farm fresh and also the prevalence of artificial hormones from cosmetic's and pharmaceutical's that are just about every where as well as more easy transfer of bacteria and virus in a very densely populated area such as a city or town as well as artificial fibers and food additives.

How can the link be definitely shown to be the light's (though there is quite a bit of research by some rogue doctors into the dangers of LED lighting) when there are so many other potential causes.

All that can likely be shown would be an increase in areas with high density artificial lighting but those area's also have high density of these other - and still other - possible sources of cancer causing pollution.

Also think about how crime would go up if the light's went out.

IF however a definite link can be shown then I am all for making our street's healthy, we have all lost loved ones to cancer.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
They’ve found the same thing studying the effects of shift work.

We’re meant to sleep at night, in total darkness, or it messes with the wrong hormones.

Good thick blackout blinds are needed over the bedroom windows.

You're damn right about those blinds!

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Has crime levels actually gone down over the years?? I'm seeing more crime committed daily, monthly and yearly... well, reading about it anyway.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Did anyone notice the article said to "rack" the disease?

Breast, rack, haha

Anyway... Where are the editors?

But on topic.
10% doesn't seem like a big difference in such a small sample size. Especially if other contributing factors are not considered.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Men get breast cancer as well funny no uptick .
But I immange its because all the women who go around topless .
Light artificial or other wise may incress cancer but in order to do so it needs to be able to hit Bare skin .

Unless we are talking HIGH power UV lamps .
as for sleeping with light on or off well I have seen full moons so bright it was like early morning light . Maybe humans really were CAVE men and evolved to live in the darkness of caves . Being that in Alaska the sun can be shining 24 7 and on most of earth the same applys summer Longer light as you go farther north longer and longer .
edit on 3-6-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
But I immange its because all the women who go around topless.

Wait, what? Which city is this?

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
LOL Go look up the movie Free the Breast lol .
edit on 3-6-2020 by midnightstar because: spelling

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Why artificial outdoor light, but not artificial INDOOR light?

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Probably the Kelvin temperatures used in some street lighting. Older metal halide lighting was around 2,200-2,400 Kelvin which is more orange while some newer LED streetlights are closer to 5-6,000 Kelvin which is very blue-white.

There are plenty of manufacturers though who make LED streetlights in lower Kelvin temps so you really need to know what lights they are referring to.

edit on 3-6-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

Why artificial outdoor light, but not artificial INDOOR light?

I'm only posting the news story... I don't know about indoor lighting, except its not as strong as those street lights

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777
a reply to: LABTECH767

Has crime levels actually gone down over the years?? I'm seeing more crime committed daily, monthly and yearly... well, reading about it anyway.

Actually a very good point, however lighting does make it less convenient for criminal's.

One of the reason's that crime has gone up is a culture of fearing to be known as a snitch, fear of reprisal's by criminal's and the unlike the culture of let's say 50 years ago were if a crime was being committed in front of them a crowd would intervene and citizen's arrest the culprit these day's people fear becoming the victim so much they have an attitude of "it's nothing to do with me so just walk away".

Not everyone, a former neighbor of mine who is a retired fireman once tried to stop the mugging of an elderly man on a train in Liverpool and got his arm broken for his trouble, no one else in that carriage stood up to help so the two thug's responsible could do pretty much as they pleased, despite this I believe he would do the same thing all over again and I would like to think so would most people but the fact is a carriage with many other passengers and only he stood up to help the old guy ending up becoming a victim himself in the process.

Personally I blame the drug's culture for most of it and also to a very great extent this problem can trace it's root's right back to the ill thought out destruction of established community's to rehouse them in the 50's and 60's which broke there communal bond's and left a situation were in new accommodation be that a block of flat's, new housing estate or even a new town you ended up with people that did not know there neighbor and so there was simply no genuine established community as a result, a well thought out policy would simply have transplanted these community's to the new accommodation preserving neighborhoods and not mixed them up as it did.

But the causes are many and though these may be the root's of the modern problem here in Britain a lot has also to be said for Tory Policy's since the Thatcher years and onward (and I make no apology for regarding so called New Labour as a con job that was at heart Thatcherite through and through if not as staunchly as the Tory's themselves so the term Tory lite is indeed most applicable to those scalawags), this caused a growing divide between the poor and the rich, the middle class whom were at one time less than 50 percent better off than the working class were suddenly often ten time's better off due to wages no longer keeping line with inflation AND then there was the problem caused by the Tory removal of company subsidy's which accelerated the migration of job's and industry out of our nation leading to entire generations of kid's with no prospect's, this led to lax parenting often because the parent's simply could no longer cope and in turn street gang's hanging around on corners often harassing passers by and at worse even trying to copy the US and other gang culture in some inner city neighborhood's resulting in crime waves - couple this cut's to public services (Tax cut's for the ultra elite) and the removal of social safety net's and you can see the writing was clearly on the wall.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
IF you read that article, it's a bunch of malarky. Artificial light indoors poses NO increase in breast cancer.

Dr Rena Jones, who was involved in the research, said: 'The small number of studies to investigate this question have often relied on subjective exposure data and yielded inconsistent results.

'We utilised an objective exposure measure - estimated outdoor light at night from satellite data.

'It will be important for future studies to accurately measure light at night exposure for individuals using a combination of objective measures, carefully designed questionnaires, and personal measurement devices.'

The study, published today in the International Journal of Cancer, does not provide an explanation behind the link as it was only an observational assessment.

***SNIP***

The latest study focused on outdoor light levels, but a 2018 paper published in the British Journal of cancer found indoor light does not have an impact on cancer risk.

Institute of Cancer Research scientists assessed how much artificial light a person used in their bedroom. A questionnaire gathered data on more than 100,00 Britons.

It found no association between levels of indoor light at night and breast cancer risk.

These findings were echoed in a 2019 study, also published in the British Journal of Cancer, which assessed cancer risk in 102,869 women between 2003 and 2014.

Of these women, 2,059 developed breast cancer. However, the researchers found working at night under artificial light does not increase the risk of the disease.

***SNIP***

The researchers from the NIH add that various other factors can influence a person's risk of developing breast cancer.

'Our findings also suggested that the relationship between LAN and breast cancer risk may differ by individual characteristics, such as smoking, alcohol drinking, sleep duration and BMI, and neighbourhood environment,' they write.

In the 1980's, "Ssssssssstudies" claimed breastfeeding caused breast cancer. I'm filing this 'may cause' blah, blah, blah in file 13.

My grandmother rarely saw a street lamp in her entire life, was very healthy and active, didn't live around ANY farms, grew and hunted her own foods, didn't smoke or drink and lived with very little electricity out in the woods. She developed breast cancer in her late 70's early 80's and died back in the mid 1970's. Go figure.

If one looks deep enough they will discover that living causes cancer. Sure there are certain things that may elevate the risk and some that absolutely do cause cancer, but cancer happens and although my grandmother died from this awful disease even though leading a pretty clean life, I wouldn't throw all caution to the wind but unfortunately, cancer in one form or another affects many. And the rates are on the rise and I believe electronics do have something to do with it but this study isn't really much of a study.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   

The article is confusing melanin and melatonin.

Wow.

top topics

join