It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a Brit I now see the need for the second amendment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So, like the vast majority of British people I oppose guns and think they bring far more misery than they do benefits.

However, with what's now going on in the US I see how vital it is for your protection against tyranny.

Let's hope for reform and de-escallation.

Stay safe brothers and sisters across the pond.

Edit: sorry, this probably should have been put in the Civil unrest forum. Apologies.

edit on 1-6-2020 by HRH27 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2020 by HRH27 because: Typos. Bloody phone.

edit on 1-6-2020 by HRH27 because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Jun 1 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: Spelling in title

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: HRH27
However, with what's now going on in the US I see how vital it is for your protection against tyranny.

Nah, now we have people saying, 'Do what the police tell you! Get off your porch and go inside like a good little do-bee!'.

No one is going to shoot anyone over this stuff other than your normal random acts of violence. I'm totally convinced we've s*** the bed here between the Covidiots applauding being locked up like veals and now the same bootlickers telling people it's okay to be told to get off your own porch by heavily armed police.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: HRH27

Nah, now we have people saying, 'Do what the police tell you! Get off your porch and go inside like a good little do-bee!'.

No one is going to shoot anyone over this stuff other than your normal random acts of violence. I'm totally convinced we've s*** the bed here between the Covidiots applauding being locked up like veals and now the same bootlickers telling people it's okay to be told to get off your own porch by heavily armed police.

Locked up like veals.... LMFAO!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

It's funny but it's not funny.

Jerkoffs thinking they have a right to be outside surrounded only by non-virus bearing individuals like that's ever happened in the history of our species.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Not trolling

You know during WA II, our people were going to ‘fight’ the Nazis off with pitchforks because the civilians didn’t have enough guns

Then the NRA dropped off guns for UK defense

Honest question, did You know th at portion of your history? If not, do you think it’s been hidden? just not important?

www.americanrifleman.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: HRH27

Wouldn't the rioters also have just as much access to guns?

The 2nd doesn't discriminate between the good and the bad.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The problem is that there are so many guns in the USA that many inevitably fall into the hands of violent criminals.
That in itself is fuel for those interested in implementing a militarized police and post orwellian technocratic dictatorship.

I don't personally disagree with law abiding people owning a gun,but a society with gun stores on every corner is itself partly responsible for the type of police force they will get.

So in a way,the 2nd amendment is both a reasonable way to defend against tyranny,yet it is also part of the reason tyranny is escalating.

One things for sure,the cops are out of control in many parts of the US and watching the footage it almost seems as though they are having their own riot against the public rather than policing them.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Sorry...but not only should you have the right to have a gun to protect yourself from tyranny, but if rioters & looters come trying to break into my home, they'll have a rather rude awakening in the form of an AR-15. And I don't give warning shots....

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   

See and that’s the problem, you in the uk already gave up your right to protect yourself in exchange for perceived security from the government, and when the riots show up it becomes obvious the the government cares very little about protecting individuals.

So while many brits act smug and condescending when discussing uk vs American gun ownership, as soon as they see the riots outside their own window, the rioters approaching their front door, and they look down at a pile of dull kitchen knifes to protect their family from an angry mob, maybe for a second before the door breaks down do they understand our true liberty, and their own willful oppression.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Thanks for that, somehow that little nugget of history slipped past me.

That's pretty awesome.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Always said its too late to take the guns away in the USA.
Gun ownership is part of their collective psyche, its part of who they are.
And there are that many guns in circulation there is no practical way they could be collected.
And why would criminals hand in their guns.....imagine the chaos then.

I know many of us over here in the UK, and I guess elsewhere in the world, thought something like the riots taking place at present - not going to comment on the absurdity of those - would result in whole scale slaughter. It hasn't, yet. Lets hope it stays that way.

I think all the gun related crime in the USA is simply a manifestation of deeper problems within the US, problems which very few seem ready to admit to and even fewer people are prepared to speak about publicly.

But that doesn't mean that we in the UK want or need anything like The Second Amendment.
What's right for one isn't necessarily right for the other.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

If you are old enough like myself I have lived through both periods in the UK, when guns were legal and since 1997 when they were less so, but its not like we had a culture of guns even then anyway, pre 1997 shotgun ownership was always less than 1 million and regular firearms about 250,000.

I myself have fired guns legally (both shotgun and handguns,uncles in police and fire service)but never felt the need to arm myself for protection, the UK still has crime of course but random shootings are minimal.

There are more licensed gun owners in the UK than you might think

The UK’s never really had a gun culture. Most gun use is for sport. But there are still 1.3 million licensed shotguns in the UK – that’s a bit less than one in every 64 people.

There are also 535,000 legally licensed ‘firearms’ (basically any other type of gun that’s not a shotgun).

I feel as safe as I did prior to the gun ban, nothing changed in the majority of households in the UK, I dont fear I will be held up by an armed robber, I dont fear I will be involved in a situation which escalates and am then shot at, I can still protect my family. I am happy that youngsters (teenage boys with too much testosterone) have minimal access to firearms as I do believe if they did there would be far more random shooting on the streets of the UK

Makes neither nation right or wrong, just different

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The Second Amendment to the Constitution Won the War of 1812 .................)

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No one is going to shoot anyone over this stuff other than your normal random acts of violence.

If someone throws a brick at my head they will most likely get shot, or if someone invades my house the same result will happen.

What is the right answer here, IDN... The governor declares curfew and it is your right not to follow it? Even if it was your right, is that a smart thing to do? Lol sometimes I don't get you all.

There is a reason I'm staying out of Portland and not testing my "freedoms" real or imaginary.

edit on 1-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Blue cities have the strictest gun laws whereas the red cities are almost all open carry. There's a reason this is only happening in the areas with strict gun laws.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Yes , in this Instance , Might Makes Right ...........

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's not the rioters I am worried about. It's the police brutality against those peacefully protesting that's disgusting.

The reform I refer to is within your policing.

I still don't see the necessity for guns over here because we don't have the volume of issues you have with police. That's not meant to ruffle feathers so I apologise ifi I could have phrased this better. You may not agree with me but I respect that.

With what's going on it justifies the original reason why you have the right to bare arms, to prevent a tyrannical government and I respect that it's of no business of people from other countries to constantly barrage the US for your cultural decisions.

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

See and that’s the problem, you in the uk already gave up your right to protect yourself in exchange for perceived security from the government, and when the riots show up it becomes obvious the the government cares very little about protecting individuals.

So while many brits act smug and condescending when discussing uk vs American gun ownership, as soon as they see the riots outside their own window, the rioters approaching their front door, and they look down at a pile of dull kitchen knifes to protect their family from an angry mob, maybe for a second before the door breaks down do they understand our true liberty, and their own willful oppression.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Your point?

If they're done away with, and we're all good little veals--to coin a phrase--only the bad ones would have them.

I much prefer a level playing field in matters of this nature...or one I can tilt in my favor. Which I can.

I can, and will defend myself. I'm not about to wait around for the cops to maybe, if they're feeling like it, show up to help. To do that requires the best tools I can lay my hands on--and safely use.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: chr0naut

Your point?

If they're done away with, and we're all good little veals--to coin a phrase--only the bad ones would have them.

I much prefer a level playing field in matters of this nature...or one I can tilt in my favor. Which I can.

I can, and will defend myself. I'm not about to wait around for the cops to maybe, if they're feeling like it, show up to help. To do that requires the best tools I can lay my hands on--and safely use.

My point is that you only have to defend your armed selves, against your armed selves, because your selves are armed.

You are creating the very crisis from which you need to defend yourselves.

Guns don't naturally occur. They have to be manufactured, marketed, bought and sold.

Not only that but in a situation of gun proliferation, you are only one, defending against many. The numbers will always be against you, and the situation gets worse, the more guns that are out there.

Gun proliferation in the name of 'self-defense' is nuts!

edit on 1/6/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Wouldn't the rioters also have just as much access to guns?

The 2nd doesn't discriminate between the good and the bad.

A few months ago we had some 2nd Amendment rallies. They were very peaceful.

It seems that when every third person is carrying a gun, both police and protestors tend to be polite and respectful. Go figure.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join