It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mixed Martial Arts is a street fight, Combat Karate is a Sport

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes they call it mixed martial arts - But you hardly see any martial arts - And I suppose you could call street fighting a sport.

That's what I usually see when I watch MMA fights, two street fighters fighting, usually wrestling on the ground and fighting as I used to see it
when we were kids - Someone does gain dominance and either through submission or judgement wins, and every once in a while a real
stand up knock out fight.

Too often it looks like two street fighters and unless you really like street fighting its boring.

So then I remembered that years ago they weere going to have full contact karate as a sport.

Guess what - They have it now and you can watch recorded fights on YouTube.

Never boring, always exciting - The two fighters fight for a knock-out and there are many.

No wrestling and ground fighting is limited to five seconds.

Want to see a really exciting sport with 'real' matial arts?

Then check it out. they have a website Karate.com

- but be warned when you start watching this with real martial arts, real karate
-
the old mixed martial arts well never satisfy.

edit on 30-5-2020 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2020 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Nice. That’s more like what ufc was like when it first started. Those first few seasons were brutal.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Karate is a great sport for children.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Lol, wut?!

Ok, bro. Do you even lift, bro.

MMA ‘Street Fighter’ Exposes FAKE ‘Sport’ Karate/Etc

Do you even train, bro? That’s rhetorical

Note: Don’t hate the messenger (NY Times) in the link.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

If you don't consider fighters in Mma martial artists youre completely ignorant of combat sports.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Your first sentence spelled out everything you don't know about MMA.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I don't claim to know anything about MMA - I''m discussing the sport as an observer looking for exciting sports to watch.

I alway liked boxing - but haw many boxing mathches are dull? - Many.

I've seen some really good MMA fights - but many are dull, too much wrestling on the ground for submission.

- Apparently some American rules have changed [?] and the referee will bring them up if nothing is happening on the ground.
- A lot of the mathches I was watching from places like South Africa seem to often turn into a ground match
which, yes, reminds me of a street fight.

So I'm looking for something interesting to keep my old eyes open and not put me to sleep, I found two sports,
both of which I find more exciting then MMA fights [usually].

First I found 'KIckboxing' all action and never a dull momient.

And then just yesterday i looked up Contact Karate as I remiemberd years ago that they were trying ot turn that into
a sport - What happened back then I don't know but apparently this new version of Combat Karate just started about
two yeas ago.

Check this compilation of complete fights from 2019 which was held in Hollywood, USA

and see why they made a believer out of me:

Karate Combat: Hollywood - Full Contact Karate- LIVE - Jan. 24, 2019
www.youtube.com...

edit on 31-5-2020 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Look....

The intention of martial arts is not to look good doing it, it is to save the own or someones else ass. I dig the sports angle but there is a lot that people without experience forget or do not know:

In a fight where it is not about who wins the price for the bigger ego, but who lives, you will not see a referee jump in. What you will see is poking out eyes, kicking the groin, dislodging joints, use your imagination. Every martial arts practitioner with a little brain will stay away from fights but END it if needed, as quick as possible. I keep reading and hearing people comparing different martial arts.

I had a lot discussions with someone that lives for Karate as a hobby, while I do the Chinese Gung-fu for self defense. A lot of potential for discussions because there is a lot of tension between these cultures. The truth is that in real life, in the moment, no one is going to wait for a referee to step in or a bell to announce the fight. Only the bad guy type will seek a street fight to impose their karate skills on others.

Sane persons give a damn about their ego in that moment and try to avoid the fight over a stupid situation. You make it clear to the crowd, if there, that you do not want to fight. And then, when you see the one trying the first hit, you go all in, no merci.

Plenty of warnings and then 0-100 in a second. This is the point where those folks end up in hospital and try to sue the crap out of the one that won. Why you always make sure it is clear you do not want to fight in any circumstances.

If I see someone starting to bounce like a boxer or position their feet AFTER I told the person to leave me alone, do you think I, or anyone else seriously practicing martial arts, will wait for the first hit?

Stop watching movies and go visit some real places, you will see the difference fast.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 02:51 AM
link   
MMA is more of a reflection of real fighting.

I've been in a few fights but I've witnessed many. They almost always end up on the ground, it's just how it is.

When two people trade blows that have a problem with each other, unless one ends it, they close quarters and grapple. Only two people using self control during a moment that's a loss of control will keep distance.

The OP calling it street fighting offends some people but he has a point, that's what it is. Real fighting. Two guys that practice striking martial arts rarely meet up in real life by coincidence and have their own glorified version of a fight. All fights tend to be ultimately petty in nature but definitely with no planning or honor.

He's interested in watching stand up martial artists fight skillfully without going to grappling, wrestling, etc like real fights typically end. With that I say, cool.. watch what you want to watch, but try not to criticize realistic fighting.

What the previous poster said about eye gouges and broken bones is right. Chinese martial arts focus on real self defense and striking at the same time. In their culture wrestling wasn't prominent. It all depends on where it comes from.
edit on 31-5-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel
I agree a lot. Your description about the glorified fight was spot on.

And also the grappling, hair pulling and what I would call bridging. When both grapple but keep their feet behind the body. This is why typical hand grappling will end you an elbow in the face with someone experienced. The tugging and pulling gives lots of potential to mess with the opponents natural reflexes.

Tug an arm and naturally the one will pull back, add your own energy and momentum to it. I tend to lend a lot from different martial arts, which in theory makes me practicing mixed martial arts.

Because there is no perfect recipe for a win / getting out unharmed, in any martial art.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

lots of traditional martial artists hate on MMA because while they remained stagnant and unwilling to change, the rest of the world grew and evolved. Chinese arts were destroyed by WU Shu while the practical martial arts died with their masters.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

100%

But this is not to say that some traditional MA isn't found in MMA.

You'll often see Karate on MMA. Tons of point karate fighters end up learning Gracie Jiu Jitsu and entering the cage. Because MMA is an evolution and style fighting is inherently stagnant.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

100%

But this is not to say that some traditional MA isn't found in MMA.

You'll often see Karate on MMA. Tons of point karate fighters end up learning Gracie Jiu Jitsu and entering the cage. Because MMA is an evolution and style fighting is inherently stagnant.

For sure. Karate and other traditional martial arts can be implemented into MMA. Conor Mcgregor uses a karate stance Lyoto Machida, GSP, wonderboy thompson ect. Judo with Ronda

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I've been a martial artist all my life. I started out with Chu'an Fa, moved on to Shorinji Kempo. I learned some basic TKD to smooth out my kicks and then I moved on to boxing.

I am now solely focused on Gracie Jiu Jitsu and currently train with Gracie Humaita.

Style fighting leaves much to be desired. The human body is capable of so much more than prescribed movements.

MMA is the maximal extent of human to human fighting and takes full advantage of human strength (and weaknesses) for maximum effectiveness.

Point Karate, Wushu, Gong Fu, and other traditional arts do not come close to creating a well rounded fighter. If you don't know what you're doing on the ground, you will lose the fight to someone who does. If you don't know realistic kicks and grounding techniques, you will not hurt your opponent.

This is real martial arts. Not dancing.

edit on 5 31 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Lyoto Machida's front kick is just so good.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Point Karate, Wushu, Gong Fu, and other traditional arts do not come close to creating a well rounded fighter. If you don't know what you're doing on the ground, you will lose the fight to someone who does. If you don't know realistic kicks and grounding techniques, you will not hurt your opponent.

This is real martial arts. Not dancing.

It's all concepts and one should pick out the best of every discipline they encounter and use that works for them, in the moment when it all comes down.

Going into a routine is bad, for example there is no point doing sticky hand training if the idea behind is lost. Or keeping a certain stance all the time, because adapting to the opponent is important.

The classic wing tsun stance for example is not helpful if the opponent is very agile. While some consider Bruce Lee just some kind of actor, he came down from a line of wing tsun and stacked other techniques on top of it. The point I try to explain is that even if there would be *that* best fighting style, it is always a good factor of surprise to switch from a secure stance to high kicks, suddenly, if the situations calls for it. Same with other things.

That said, above is about a fighter-fighter situation. Someone without any experience will not be able to see patterns and a lot of attack windows, which would be a thing in a street fight. There I go by the rule, avoid, warn, make noise and if that all does not help, I am not #ing around.

I am not going to wait for a barrage of punches to land in my face, I will go straight for a fight-ender no matter what, because then it is about staying unharmed or alive. It is like with a gun, if you have one around, better be prepared to use it.
edit on 31-5-2020 by Shibari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shibari

I had a Wing Tsung coach for a while teaching me dummy work. That's stuff is really good for wrapping people's hands up and trapping them while placing elbows.

As far as style is concerned, I learned that most traditional martial arts are simply NOT martial arts. They are fitness routines at best. They inculcate patterns of behavior that are unrealistic and leave the practitioner ill-prepared for the brutality of a real fight.

I got with what is most practical. I borrow my techniques from many martial arts. I find the martial arts that I like are straight forward. Muay Thai, jiujitsu, kickboxing, boxing, catch wrestling, shootfighting, krav maga, some Judo and a few styles of Karate.

Martial arts are for combat. At least for me they are.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
A lot of what you wrote, I agree with, the rest I do not have a lot knowledge about.

My current techniques I mainly use the Wing Tsun approach but try to tie in Judo, Kickboxing and some moves I might have lend from elsewhere but not knowing exactly where to fit it in. I adopted high knees from Thai Boxing but I did not list it up because I never trained Thai Boxing. Actually my sifu encourages visiting other martial arts and see what they have effective.

It just makes sense because nothing that evolves in isolation like the single martial arts can cover all areas of fighting.

Ground fighting like you said it, is so important. You might find training to fight on steps and other uneven terrain like gravel or sand very interesting, if you did not have it yet.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
How long would an MMA fighter last against this man.

Slightly off subject but while we are on the topic of fighting styles I wonder how good any of them would have been against this guy if his people had not gone extinct, this is claimed to be actual genuine footage from Japan of the last of a tribe of Giant warriors from an island off the mainland whom had died out - or did they?, I doubt it was a case of Gigantism but then again who knows.

edit on 31-5-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Remember i was just talking about entertainment value - Not practical value for confrontational fightting for disputes
or self defense.

Both full contact Karate [modern sport version] and kick boxing are almost always action packed and interesting
Yes, I have also seen some really good MMA fights - but there are just too many dull ones for my taste.

But since you all seem interested in real fighting for disputes and self defense - this may interest you.

Mnay years ago I read a book with the title 'Street Fighting of the World' [not sure if that was the exact title]

The book was written by a rich heir to a fortune who just happened to be fascinated with street fighting which was very
popular back then [1950s - 60s]. There were famous street fighters all over the World and they could be found and were
often willing to engage in fights - But often you had to sign a disclaimer first so they would not be responsible if you
got hurt.

Two interesting fighters in the book I will never forget:

1. He had mastered the 'chin' - supposedly there is a spot on the chin that if you hit it right - your opponent is out!
and he was very effective in using it to win fights.

2. And the most unusual in the book was 'Bad Breath' - He had mastered a herbal fomula that he eat and if
you confronted him you were finished - All he had to do is breath on you and you were finished - His breath was
so bad that just one breath on you and you got sick, instantly!

Otherwise the book had many other street fighters but most were more tradigional [knife fighters, etc.]

If you really like confrontational street fighting get a copy and read it [might be tough to find as it is probably out of print] - but worth finding.
edit on 31-5-2020 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join