It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why the hatred of shotguns?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 04:48 AM
link   
They might not know how good a stopper one is without endangering the neighbors as much as a rifle.

I like this one.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: stormson

Too much scatter on barely legal barrels with no choke tubes to change that pattern. The further the clay, the better chance of just getting nicked if hit at all. As I said, basically an O/U coach gun.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   

i have 2 Mossbreg 590s in 12 and 20ga. more partial to the 20 easier to control and kick is not as bad. my hand favorite handgun is a taurus judge.

been thinking aboutsomeones version of these. ATI Omni Hybrid .410 Shotgun

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Shot column expansion is kind of a weird phenomenon sometimes. At personal defense distances there is very little expansion at all, but once the column starts to expand it expands really fast.

Intuition would suggest it's linear, but many times it's not. It's more linear on heavier loads, which makes sense I guess.

ETA - A coach gun is one shotgun I don't have, and I've always wanted one too! I need to pick one of those up sometime. Don't really know what I'd use it for, but it looks fun regardless. The Mossy 500's (persuader and cruiser) are the homestead guardians.

edit on 5/29/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I read a while back that someone was going to put a Saiga like semi back out on the market. Can't remember who it was though. There's another one I've always wanted. Mags were just so hard to find though for those old Saiga's.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I lurv shotguns and got one after this ringing endorsement:

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I own several shotguns, I don’t shoot them very much anymore. In this current climate of assault rifles with bolt on accessories for everything, a shotgun has a very limited cool factor as well as limited lethal range by comparison. There is nothing more intimidating to a bad guy, than the sound of racking a 12 gage in the dark, it would make my blood run cold.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   
why the hatred of shotguns?

Cause their stupid.

More tools you have the better.

Handgun,Rifle,Shotgun.

Diversity ain't just a bullcrap slogan.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The only firearm I have is an Ithaca Featherlight Model 37 12 gauge-pump with a six-round magazine. With a round in the chamber and full magazine of #00 buckshot, you can send 63 x .30-cal. pellets at anything that scares you in maybe five seconds or less. It’s one of the last Model 37s with slam fire capability; just hold the trigger down and it will fire as fast as you can pump it. I’m a lousy shot and I bought it for self defense, which is all it’s good for. Its barrel is about 20 inches long, which is about as short as you can get legally. I’ve been burgled a number of times, but I was never at home to catch any of the thieving bastards. I figure the sound of chambering a round should be enough to send an intruder running. Second step (if my life isn’t immediately at risk) is firing a round into a mattress. That should make any sane person flee. If that doesn’t work, I like my odds in a close quarters firefight against someone armed with a pistol. But it would be awfully loud! Maybe permanent hearing loss.
edit on 29-5-2020 by Scapegrace because: Typo

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Personally,I love shotguns.Losy count of how many I own,but have several in gauges ,28- ,12.As stated they're great for home defense, hunting and just plinking.I love my 1187 turkey gun,with a Indian Creek choke and TSS shells put 4 gobblers in the freezer this year,That's a deadly gun farther than most people would believe.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Aside from that guy say "nope"

I think it has more to do with supply etc. Lots of people have shotguns in my experience and aside from a 22 its often the first people own cause its versatile, you can hunt with it etc.

Plus the upfront cost is relatively cheap compared to many rifles so people may just want to buy new

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

A couple things:

1. Never fire a warning shot! It's a waste of critical time, and puts your life in even more danger. If you're going to fire in a defensive situation, and you or a loved one are in grave danger, then fire at your target. Always! If you're not justified in hitting your target, then you weren't in grave danger to begin with (and had no business firing even a warning shot). Also, depending on your state laws, defense of personal property often does not justify the use of deadly force. You or a loved one will need to be in immanent danger of grave bodily harm or death.

2. Firing a shotgun in an enclosed space makes a lot less noise than a pistol (well, one of a caliber necessary for personal defense anyway). You won't suffer permanent hearing loss. Your ears may ring, but it won't be permanent. Additionally, believe it or not, in a "real" defense situation most people don't even hear the shot...nor can they recall how many times they actually fired. Incidentally, this is also one of the reasons you should refrain from making any statements to law enforcement without an attorney being present, but I digress.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   

OMG. I love my 20 gauge Mossberg 500 with pistol grip for close quarters home defense options, and that is what I sleep with, when I am home alone. If I ever must sell mine, it will be because I am desperate, and already had to sell my other firearms.

edit on 29-5-2020 by Fowlerstoad because: added the 500 ... kind of makes more sense saying which model Mossberg that I love so much!

Added: and ... I really like the sound it makes when I rack it. Sometimes, UNLOADED OF COURSE, I rack it a few times just for fun!

In the best case scenario, racking it alone would hopefully cause any intruders to vacate the premises....
edit on 29-5-2020 by Fowlerstoad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I had an old Saiga years ago, and for lack of better judgement sold it. I got a good amount for it, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one since.

They are pretty nice!

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think people just don't like the kick of a standard single or double barrel or pump action. They want a semi-automatic that has some attenuation to the recoil. Like the OP explained he is going for a semi-automatic.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Love Shotguns !!

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Scapegrace

A couple things:

1. Never fire a warning shot! It's a waste of critical time, and puts your life in even more danger. If you're going to fire in a defensive situation, and you or a loved one are in grave danger, then fire at your target. Always! If you're not justified in hitting your target, then you weren't in grave danger to begin with (and had no business firing even a warning shot). Also, depending on your state laws, defense of personal property often does not justify the use of deadly force. You or a loved one will need to be in immanent danger of grave bodily harm or death.

2. Firing a shotgun in an enclosed space makes a lot less noise than a pistol (well, one of a caliber necessary for personal defense anyway). You won't suffer permanent hearing loss. Your ears may ring, but it won't be permanent. Additionally, believe it or not, in a "real" defense situation most people don't even hear the shot...nor can they recall how many times they actually fired. Incidentally, this is also one of the reasons you should refrain from making any statements to law enforcement without an attorney being present, but I digress.

Thanks. Good advice.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Just remember, in a personal defense situation, you "might" get 1.5 - 2" expansion (if you're lucky), and that's generous. Even birdshot will only expand maybe 1" or more, so aim is important. Most birdshot won't expand at all, and you'll hit the target with a shot cup of shot.

This why all the folks who say #4 buck is the answer are mistaken. Birdshot (ie. #7.5's or 8's) is absolutely DEADLY!!!

You don't need the heavy Buckshot rounds to deal with a personal defense situation. Birdshot will work just fine.

Now, if you're shooting "through" something, like a car, then buckshot is better, but honestly, nobody should be doing this unless threatened by the 'car"

Just sayin'.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 01:32 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Nah, I like the warning shot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join