It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sincerest Apologies to Preppers and Survivalists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't drink anymore.
I'm thinking more about its antiseptic value, plus it would be a valuable trade commodity.

a reply to: Advantage

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Gryphon66

I just happened to make a solid Costco run before all this happened.

What do you consider a prepper? Because without Walmart, Costco, etc what would people do really.

Same thing they did before those stores were around

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: YouSir

I'm not sure about the club ... I mean, I've had a slow-burning realization ... but I'm still a mouthy opinionated jerk.

Thanks though. We'll see. Keep you and yours safe.

Ummm...yeah...I know what you mean...I'm not a card carrying member of any organization anymore...

I sure can relate to the mouthy opinionated jerk part...cause my post history is replete with politically incorrect flippancy...

I think the balance comes into play by never being too serious...or taking myself too seriously...

I think it's good for peeps to have a laugh at their own expense...keeps the ego in check...

Thank you for your sentiment...and for this thread...

Much respect my friend...even in the midst of differing opinion...

Or...the appearance of said...

YouSir

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   

my friend went prepper, boy what a laugh.

He hoarded guns but has to ask me for advice on how to hunt, he's failed to grow crops despite my advise, and he wants goats for some peculiar reason and his beef jerky is not fit for human consumption.

I ran away from home because the rural natives were stupid and crazy, now my friend is too, the moment he moves to the country, suddenly he thinks he can turn our planet into a spaceship. (not a lie)

Then there are my real life encounters with people who people who have graphically detailed beastility, inbreeding, the list goes on, if you want to prep you can do it at home, don't go all deliverance on us.

edit on 27-5-2020 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Almost every prepper or survivalist had something occur that made them realize there is only 1 person they can absolutely depend on when things go south.

Congratulations on the acceptance.

Most of us are not doomsday preppers just folks that like to have a little extra set aside so when the system hiccups we aren't at the mercy of people we cant count on.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I just happened to make a solid Costco run before all this happened.

What do you consider a prepper? Because without Walmart, Costco, etc what would people do really.

I don't know about others. But I hunt, fish and know a lot of wild edible plants. I'm a proud gun owner.

I'm also a professional technician that fixes just about anything mechanical or electronic.

I'll be fine, so will my family.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

I have a lot of respect for anyone who can think, change their mind, admit they're wrong, and apologize.

You did the right thing. The topic is irrelevant, your character is what shows.

S+F, you just gained major points in my book and I'll take you much more seriously in the future.

Tyvm!!

This

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I think this would be a good test to adjust what you would need when prepping.

Sucks when some of your daily goodies are taken.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Logged on solely to upvote the OP. It's incredibly refreshing to hear ANYone admit that sinister activities against the people in any way. This was most definitely one of the ways.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TortoiseKweek

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: schuyler
I have always planned not for a zombie apocalypse

Then your dog is safe... but hey, I think it needs to see a vet!
Jokes aside, unless you have a large property where you can stash years worth of dry / canned food, and grow produce in your yard, we're all kind of screwed. Timing is also important. Try growing stuff when it's -20 Deg Celsius. Not going to happen. If the world really does experience a SHTF scenario, we're all done for, except for those who have access to DUMB's.

You don't need to grow year round... you need to be able to store foods properly.

Or nobody would have survived 200 years ago.

If you are thinking that canned goods and MRE's are the way to go, then yes, you are doomed.

What it is actually all about is sustainability and self-sufficiency.

Yes, you need property to do that.

It actually is pretty simple with the correct property.

I don't have canned goods or MRE's or 1,000 pounds of pinto beans stashed anywhere and I haven't been to a grocery store (haven't left the property, actually) since the 16th of March.

We've doing just fine.

Did I say you can grow year round? That's why I mentioned winter being -20 C and why you need a large storage area! Cause it's impossible to do that!

You make it sound like you need a hundred acres or more to be viable, that really isnt the truth at all. Most people living on a town house with a medium sized back yard (big enough for a 10x20 garden), can grow enough food to keep them going for quite a while. It is all about only growing what you eat and nothing extra. Then either freezing or dehydrating everything for long term storage. You dont need a hundred acres for that, just a good pantry and a deep freeze or two.

Meat is the biggest problem, but you can always grow high protein veggies to make up for that. It's not a perfect system, and there will need to be tweaks made as time goes on. But it will keep you a live until you can find a steady source of meat for protein and (possibly) fur for clothing (if the Shtf).

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I live on 5 acres in the country. I'm so grateful for that at a time like this. Some years ago my husband took ill and it prompted me to pay off my mortgage as quickly as I could, 15 years early. I have agriculture and homestead exemptions on the home which makes my property tax about $700 or so each year. If you are homeowners ( still paying or not) you can get the Homestead exemption on your property. I would suggest everyone do it because it reduces your property tax a lot and has other benefits as well.
Over a year ago for health reasons I gave up meat for 30 days to see how it went. After the 30 days I had lost the taste for meat and now only eat fish a time or 2 a week. This has greatly reduce my fear of things like 'meat shortage''. I'm not anti meat but I think we all probably eat too much, especially Texans who like a platter sized steak. Keeping cans or dry beans around is really easy compared to keeping meat long term.
Last summer for no real reason I finally tried my hand at growing food, after years of only being able to successfully grow trees. My garden went great last summer so this year I've got some experience on what grows well in my area. It's a lot of peace of mind to know you can grow your own food, even if it's only 25 or 50% of what you actually need to survive. I don't know any food preservation methods other than freezing and I need to figure that part out but it's intimidating. You don't need much land at all to grow some food. Start small. Just plant a few things and see how it goes. Every melon or squash you produce and eat is one less dollar you spend at the store.

I do think some preppers are kooky like the ones who live in a cave just waiting for the end. I guess they're doing ok now though. There's preparedness and then there is just suspending life while waiting on the end. It reminds me of my childhood and our church telling us to be always ready for the rapture. You ended up doing nothing but waiting on Jesus and in the mean time years of life flew by that got wasted.

posted on May, 29 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It's not enough to just be personally prepared though. Because there are too many people who aren't and never will be. These are people who have all been living less than one paycheck away from disaster all their lives and are still reproducing like there's no tomorrow.

I'm actually just amazed that things are not worse than they are. The government actually has actually helped a lot of people when you think about where many people would be without the financial help from the government.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dutchowl

The Report From Iron Mountain should be summer reading for all high school students.

Whoa, dude. I'm stunned.

I thought I'd heard of every conspiracy angle to everything and now, wow. Mind blowing accomplished. How in the wide world of sports have I never come across this?

Thank you, my friend. I so love "new to me" info.

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I starred and flagged the thread as it's worth it but your post here gets a star for the word superfluous.

Delightful word.

posted on Jun, 6 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Thank you having the grace and humility to admit a mistake in judgement. We all do it for sure but the preppers and survivalists among us have taken a good deal of belittling over it. The derision only convinced me further it was the right thing to do; social engineering being what it is programs the masses to attack whatever stands in their way. Being able to support one's self and loved ones makes you less malleable to government dictates and I have always valued freedom beyond all else. Any avid reader of history should come to the same conclusion that freedom is a rare thing on this planet. It is to be treasured, protected and expanded as much as possible. Being prepared is a position of strength so that you can stand for your ideals.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: schuyler
I have always planned not for a zombie apocalypse

Then your dog is safe... but hey, I think it needs to see a vet!
Jokes aside, unless you have a large property where you can stash years worth of dry / canned food, and grow produce in your yard, we're all kind of screwed. Timing is also important. Try growing stuff when it's -20 Deg Celsius. Not going to happen. If the world really does experience a SHTF scenario, we're all done for, except for those who have access to DUMB's.

Surviving through the winter (and early spring) involves knowing how to preserve food. It can take multiple forms:
1. Canning (properly so you do not get contamination in the food)
2. Pickling
3. Knowing having a "root cellar" that acts as a cold fridge that does not need electricity is essential
4. Wine/Beer making (allows you to safely drink fluids when the water would be contaminated
5. Salting
6. Dehydrating food

This should not be understated.... Do you realize how FEW people know how to properly cure meat without buying supplies through Amazon or Walmart?

Really, the same could be said about growing a garden. Millions of people grow gardens every year...but how many grow enough food in their garden to be self-sustaining for all their nutritional needs? Very very few.... People think they can just buy some seeds and voila! They are set.... Some people are in for a RUDE awakening....

The truth is that most of society has lost it's ability to self-sustaining off the grid.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join