It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinner Tonight???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Now I do like my organ meats.

I'm not big into most livers, not straight. I will use them for making stocks and I do like pates. I also like monkfish liver when you find a sushi place that has some, but most liver is too strong.

There is a local taco stop that does a hog maw (buche) that is just really, really good.

Tripe is sort of hit or miss for me. For every time I have it and don't like it, I find another place that prepares it in a way I do really like it.

And I have yet to a find a heart I don't like.

I've never tried brains or kidneys or chitluns are anything like those, but I've also never really had the chance, either.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Beefalo's are some interesting critters. We looked into them, but we get the same benefits from the cattle we raise (grass fed Galloways), and we don't have to worry about the complicated breeding process. And the meat is absolutely fabulous!

Beefalo is good meat too though, provided you find a good source. Are you buying quantities (like quarter, half or whole animals), or just individual cuts?

Just for me n the wife...and put some up too...we have a newer Organic meat market....

Elk,Venison, Bison...alligator...Buffalo(last had Buffalo Pasties...with gravy!)
edit on 23-5-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, more caveats I guess; yes, I too love pate's.

As for heart, I don't really consider this an "organ" as much as a muscle, so no issues with heart meat.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
As someone who can be chased around the block by the smell of liver alone... there is one exception for me.

Have you tried "liver-noodles" yet? They are awesome in soups.

For each egg you go:
around 100g wheat flour (depends on the size of your eggs)
a few shots of sparkling water (depends on the yolk ratio of your eggs)
10% ground liver
salt

mix it well, then use a cooking spoon and beat it like you never beat dough before. You need to break apart the natural glue inside the flour, no idea how it is called.

Bring a big pan of water to a rolling boil, salt it, make it simmer along. Then you either take a potato press and squeeze the dough out over the water, quickly scrap the ends off the press.... Or you do it like I do with a wooden board and scrape dough fast over the corner, same effect. You can also use a holed spoon and scrape the dough through the holes. Does not matter.

Use a flat holed sieve to catch up the noodles, as soon as they float up. Put them directly into a container with a lid. Do that until no dough left. The noodles will be gray with a hint of liver.

You can freeze them, roast them, put them in soup or as a side for other meat-meals.

If you add cheese in between each batch and put roasted onions on top, you get our version of Mac&Cheese minus the liver.

edit on 23-5-2020 by Shibari because: forgot the salt

edit on 23-5-2020 by Shibari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Welp, husband is at the butcher now. He says it's pretty obvious there that they have zero effs to give about the virus. Everyone is there and working; everyone is there and buying. And the headman, the old guy, is there himself. It's a family outfit and they ain't takin' no crap.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Shibari

Huh, I might have to give this a try. Sounds unique. I'd like to try it.

The "glue" you referred to is actually called gluten, so you weren't far off.

Of all the organ meats, liver I can tolerate the best, but I usually like it mixed with something, so this might be really good. I don't mind the flavor of liver, but I really don't like the texture of it. Just a weird thing with me.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Well, that's good news, right???

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Well, that's good news, right???

The place in question has been where it's been so long that the neighborhood has changed around it. It's now more like a barrio, but the family is German background. They service the competition BBQ crowd, but they also draw in a pretty diverse ethnic crowd thanks to the way the neighborhood has flowed. On any given day, especially a weekend, you'll see anyone there from the suburban yuppies to the African-Americans to the Latinos, to anyone and everyone else.

They sell every single cut off an animal that can be eaten for this reason. If I ever want goat, I know where to go. If I want the head, I know where to go. When I made traditional English pudding and needed the suet? That's where I went.

They also raise, finish and sell their own beef, process game, and work with people to process their own animals. So I am not at all surprised they have a no nonsense approach to this.
edit on 23-5-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Yes Gluten, I was not sure if it is the same in english, lazy enough to not google but not too lazy to describe it. Same word we use

About the recipe, here is what you can expect
duckduckgo.com...

Liver dumplings?

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

MMMmmmmmm...now some good Chevron / Cabrito sounds fabulous! That's some GOOD EATS on the grill right there!!

Took me the longest time to get my wife to try some. One time we went to this big Mexican market in Denver. Not a soul in the place spoke English (good thing I speak passable Spanish). She saw all these people snapping up all this really nice looking dark red meat and asked what it was. It was going so fast, she already had her hand up for some before I could tell her. I told her it was "Chevron" (the case said 'Cabrito'), and she responded that it looked delicious. I didn't want to kill the buzz so on the way home she asked me what it was and I fibbed a little bit and said it was a wild mountain animal from Mexico, Central and South America. (okay, it was a stretch, but she always turned her nose up to goat milk until she actually tried that too (later)).

When we got home I put a citrus juice and spice marinade rub on it and put some nice pieces on the grill. Oh man! She was fighting me over the last bits of that stuff! And it was good too!.

I told her it was goat the next day. She wasn't mad at all, and by that evening she was looking into raising meat goats!!

Now will you try the goat milk???? She did, and she loved it!

Goat is really good eats!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

My parents have tried it and they said it's very similar to lamb. So if I ever get the opportunity, I'll dive on in. I don't like to go in an cook something before I tried it made by someone who knows what they're doing first. I might screw it up and get stuck thinking it's awful.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Back in South Africa when we went hunting, we'd make "pofadder" sausage. Named that because it looks like the Puff Adder Snake. When someone came back to camp with a kill, whether it be Impala, Kudu, Wildebeest, etc. We'd cut up the heart, liver and kidneys into small cubes. Mix that with chopped onion, coriander seeds (cilantro), salt, pepper, and some other mixed spices. Then clean out the intestines, tie the one end, stuff with this mix, tie the other end and grill on a charcoal BBQ in the African bush. Sooooo Good! Damn, I miss those days!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TortoiseKweek

That actually does sound good, but I've watched so much Bizarre Foods, that I've started to think chili-grilled tarantula looks good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join