It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC now says

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

This is more akin to marketing than science, imo. A line that has become increasingly blurred over the years.

Meaning, if you look back.. None of this data is actually new as we would be led to believe by March 10 date on the study. The study itself may have occured more recently, but the findings coincide with previous work. As far as I can tell, the only difference from months ago is that it was thought to survive on stainless steel for something like 7 days. Could be remembering wrong..

Its just that its being presented differently, with a fuller context that was always there. Still disengenuous in that the updated guidelines conflate "survivability" and "infectious" as well as no distinction between the virus and disease. The latter could just be colloquial/semantics at this point, but all the same.

"More data is more good," but there should be suspicion when major factors are left out.. Then presented as "new" with the same findings. Particularly when used in a massively fear-inducing Narrative (warranted or not).

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
It's been that way with government and media announcements for years.

How many times is that snowstorm going to be so bad it'll be up to your roof!
Or how about the super thunderstorm that's a shower.
The major disaster at the factory in town that turns out to be nothing.

Shelter in place, don't go out, it lives on surfaces, watch out for Amazon boxes! Wash your hands, wear a useless mask, don't take this, we're gonna need a bigger hospital.

And not one damn bit turns out to be accurate or true.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Well here's hoping the hand washing, consideration of personal space and curtailing activities that spread large droplets over everyone in front of you.
Help reduce all virus spread - flu, cold etc.

Before - needing a doctors note to not turn up to work with a sniffle/high temperature/cough
Now - ? Fired / Jailed / fined for not staying home and wearing a mask.

We should live long and healthy lives from now on.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

They've contradicted themselves too many times. I don't care what they say. It's all meaningless at this point because they have very little credibility in my eyes.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
a reply to: Kurokage

Not sure I'd trust Web MD too much. Any time I have put in my symptoms for this and that over the years they always come up with some off the wall diagnosis with possible death as a result and it ended up being a cold or allergies.

It was just one of many that say pretty much the same thing.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt

Science.
It is changeable, when new data comes along.
They don’t just “ Make up their minds”. Lol

I’m sure there are hundreds of tiny variables that can change the results of this kind of infection rate.

And I’m sure this data will change again.

It doesn't change that much unless you had your eyes closed the first time.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
So, for all of us that were lambasted in the beginning for not buying into the fear.. are we still callous assholes?

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Why not? They said it's not dangerous to touch anyone.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

That's the problem. It got started that way partially because when they just gave dry information about something like a storm, people never seemed to pay attention. But as soon as they ramped up the panic factor, it got attention. Now they're caught in a bad loop. They have to scare the bejesus out of us all the time or they feel too many ignore them.

We can argue about the merits or lack thereof of this approach.

I personally never needed scaring and still don't. As an adult, I'm able to take information and assess my own chances of death and destruction and take action as needed, but there do seem to be an awful lot of people who flat out ignore warnings they maybe shouldn't and then get terribly upset when they end up in harm's way and maimed.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance
Why?

There is. Nothing new about wearing a medical type mask
To prevent you infecting others. And I mean you, in general terms.

Would you rather share a 10 by 10 room with an infected masked patient for 20 minutes , or an unmasked one.
Both of them would be reciting the Declaration of Independence as loudly as possible while in the room.

Masked or unmasked?
You don’t get a mask yourself.

I choose the masked person.

You?

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Got a link to the CDC statement?

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

CDC Link

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

originally posted by: and14263

CDC Link

Very helpful thank you!!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:28 AM
link   

But we've known this all along. This family of viruses typically spreads through airborne droplets and has a low linger rate in the environment. This isn't news, it's the orthodoxy for Coronavirus.

The whole things about infection through surfaces was largely a panic spread through misinformation, fake news, and media panic.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
a reply to: xuenchen

Don't wear a mask. Wear a mask. Kids don't get it. They do get it. Millions will die easily. Nowhere near that will die...meh.
Might as well go buy a pack of Tarot cards. Nobody knows jack squat.

Let's be honest. If the WHO, CNN or ABC said that you should absolutely wear a mask, would you?

I get the feeling that a lot of people on this board would refuse to do so, and would claim that mask wearing was an unconstitutional intrusion on their lives that was being used by the liberal media to spread fear and to divide the populace along political lines.

We knew from day 1 that surfaces were poor transmission mediums, because Coronavirus are almost always this way, and there was nothing in Covid-19 to suggest any different.

If anything virus like SARS were unusual in that they survived on surfaces for longer than usual. Covid-19 doesn't seem to be like this and never did.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

...then perhaps we should have taken a slower approach in the beginning, rather than upending the economy and trampling all over the Constitution, instead of allowing politicians to make up their minds based on recommendations from scientists with woefully incomplete and inaccurate data?

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I wonder what made them "revise" their thinking ? ⭕🧞‍♀️

People will be shocked to learn that "social distancing" and wearing of masks, have had little effect on reducing the spread of Covid-19, and have actually increased the number of communicable pneumonia cases.

Sounds counter-intuitive, but according to the CDC's weekly updated chart of side-by-side communicable diseases, that's the way it is.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I figured this out because if it were true everyone at Amazon, Walmart, ups etc etc would have the virus by now. There is no way you can handle all those packages, groceries and surfaces and not accidentally touch your face.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Remember that the coronavirus is a novel virus meaning this strain is new and the doctors and scientists are learning as they go along. They also at first said masks wouldn't help they changed their tune on that one as well. The main reason imo that I was ok with social distancing and taking precautions is that I do not want the hospitals becoming overrun by cases.

I feel the time is coming where we can safely open back up but people need to still be cautious and slowly return to normalcy. The country needs to have adequate and accurate testing on standby. Contact tracing and verifiable medicine needs to be available to help shorten the sickness. People with suppressed immune systems have to be careful who they are mingling with and need to have the proper ppe when they are in public. Information on how to strengthen the immune system and live a healthy lifestyle to combat and keep from getting sick needs to be sung from the media mountain tops.
edit on 23-5-2020 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 05:06 AM
link   
From what I understand, the virus has to be inside of droplets from a sneeze, couch, etc. to survive. If the droplet dries up, the virus dies. If it’s on a surface outside in the sun, the virus dies since it’s very UV sensitive.
Also just touching a surface like a handle to a door or package, isn’t enough to get you infected. Even with your bare hand. Even if you have an open wound on your hand. The virus is not blood borne and cannot go through the skin . It’s way into your system is by breathing it in or through the eyes. It’s a respiratory illness. So, touching a contaminated surface and then your nose, mouth, eyes is how you can get it. That’s why I wear a mask when I go out.
edit on 5/23/2020 by Gumshoe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join