It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines driven out of UAW lot!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Now this is entirely uncalled for, I am not surprised as I have seen the UAW resort to damn near terror acts in the past but to do this to soldiers? I hope this backfires!

Marines driven out of UAW lot

The union says Marines in foreign cars, displaying Bush stickers unwelcome.

DETROIT -- The United Auto Workers says Marine reservists should show a little more semper fi if they want to use the union's parking lot.

The Marine Corps motto means "always faithful," but the union says some reservists working out of a base on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit have been decidedly unfaithful to their fellow Americans by driving import cars and trucks.

So the UAW International will no longer allow members of the 1st Battalion 24th Marines to park at Solidarity House if they are driving foreign cars or displaying pro-President Bush bumper stickers

"While reservists certainly have the right to drive nonunion made vehicles and display bumper stickers touting the most anti-worker, anti-union president since the 1920s, that doesn't mean they have the right to park in a lot owned by the members of the UAW," the union said in a statement released Friday.

Shocked and disappointed, the Marines are pulling out.

"You either support the Marines or you don't," said Lt. Col. Joe Rutledge, commanding officer of the battalion's active duty instructors. "I'm telling my Marines that they're no longer parking there."

At a time when U.S. armed forces are fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, quibbling over parking privileges is "silly," Rutledge said.

The UAW has a long history of barring foreign-made cars from its parking lots. The subject is touchier than ever as Detroit's Big Three loses market share, driving down union membership.

The pro-Bush bumper stickers are another sore spot after last year's election.

UAW President Ron Gettelfinger opposed President Bush, accusing him of ignoring calls for labor law reform and failing to combat unfair business practices in China -- a growing threat to U.S. manufacturers.

The dispute arises as the UAW, using laid-off workers for labor, is building a $300,000 home for the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The home in Eaton Rapids will operate a residential program for children of veterans who don't have parents, or whose parents can't care for them.

"We do not think it is unreasonable to expect our guests to practice the simple principle of not insulting their host," the UAW statement said.

Rutledge is unmoved.

"I don't see it as a snub against them," he said, adding no conditions were set when the union first began allowing the Marines to park in the lot several years ago. "We're appreciative of what they've done, but you don't come into my office and say, 'OK, we're not going to support some of your Marines.' I don't know what a foreign car is today anyway. BMWs are made in South Carolina now."

Marines in foreign cars, displaying Bush stickers unwelcome

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
A little bit off colour, but not entirely surprising. Not very good PR for a US Auto Workers Union to have foreign made cars in its parking lot. And if they have grievances against the president, then thats another reason they may not want Pro-Bush stickers in their car park. You have to see it from their point of view, in that it doesn't make the Union look like it is looking after its members, if it allows anti union products/images to be on display outside.

Its like everyone at PepsiCo drinking Coke.....

Plus, they have the right to do as they please, being the land of the free and all.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Its like everyone at PepsiCo drinking Coke.....

Plus, they have the right to do as they please, being the land of the free and all.

Well it is also discrimination on ones political belief, believe me not everyone who pays dues to the UAW voted for Kerry by a long shot.

I know a guy who works for Toyota and was asked why he doesn't drive one and his reply? "It's not a Chevy"

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Who cares what car they drive?
Are they wearing all american clothes?
Eating all american foods?
Drinking all american drinks?
Have an "all american" hair cut?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Who cares what car they drive?
Are they wearing all american clothes?
Eating all american foods?
Drinking all american drinks?
Have an "all american" hair cut?

You mean we agree on something?

Oh no, Lightning will strike!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
My Honda was built in the USA--Ohio, I think. There's not a vehicle made by an American automotive corporation that can touch my Accord, based on class. Maybe if the UAW was more concerned with building better cars they wouldn't have to bully people who don't buy as they desire.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
You mean we agree on something?

Oh no, Lightning will strike!

Whoa there....
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
uh ok....

Notes looking up nervously............

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
1) I work in a UAW factory. Let me show you the imports!

2) Show me an american car. If memory serves me (senile old bastard that i am) The honda civic has the most American made parts in it. Are they suggesting the Semper Fidelas fellows should drive non union made civics?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaganwasourgreatest
1) I work in a UAW factory. Let me show you the imports!

2) Show me an american car. If memory serves me (senile old bastard that i am) The honda civic has the most American made parts in it. Are they suggesting the Semper Fidelas fellows should drive non union made civics?

Well I came from a UAW plant and let me tell you these tactics are not a surprise to me, not in the slightest.

top topics

join