It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New type of radar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
We all know about traditional radar and heat seeking along with infrared capabilties. Isn't there a way to to detect aircraft by wind disturbances and by low level vibrations that can be detected as an aircraft is moving through the air? Planes must emit a low rumble that sophisticated machines could detect. What about the shadow that an aircraft presents, not in the visable spectrum but like the deflection of solar rays or something like that. There has to be other ways to pick up a plane. Are these being tested or does the US already have detection methods like this?

Train

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I am guessing that the range would be limited with the ideas you have proposed.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
While you can never say never, there is one issue with the system as you propose. Air is always in motion with eddies and currents and the like, Ill bet you get alot of supurious readings etc.

Some movie postulated this type of system can't remember off the top of my head which one though ...

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
...Some movie postulated this type of system can't remember off the top of my head which one though ...

Maybe you are thinking of Under Siege 2: Dark Territory, where the bad guy uses the Grazer satellite weapon to track and shoot down stealth planes using their air turbulence.

My turn to search around now. I read somewhere that the F22 has designed in significant turbulence reduction, and I can't find the article.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
[Maybe you are thinking of Under Siege 2: Dark Territory,

Actually I figured it out. That one does it as well, but in the oh so forgetable Philedelpha Experiment Part II there is a bit where the evil scienitst guy uses a system to detect the wind changes around a F-117

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
There are many different variations of the traditional radar. From the top of my head:

1) Satellite mounted radar: Stealth aircraft, at present, are not believed to be very stealthy on the topside.
2) Passive radar: This radar consists of radar recievers spread over a wide area. They use exisiting tv, radio, communications signals to detect variations and triangulate the position of aircraft. Lockheed Martin has a version for commercial airports. I believe China is vigorously pursuin this type of radar which cannot be detected, and hence, be destroyed easily in wartime.
There are also infra-red versions of the above. Variations based on sound are also planned and perhaps in the experimental stage.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have a marvelous idea. We know that at certain wavelengths, these wavelengths can pass through different types of materials. Is it possible to use X-rays or gamma rays at a ground radar that beams these wavelengths to satellites and therefore, any interruption in these wavelengths would constitute an aircraft penetrating and blocking these wavelengths. I know the raptor and B-2 have materials that absorb radar wavelengths, but do they also absorb super high freq. or super low freq? If so, they would absorb this wavelength and therefore the position of the plane would be comprimised. But I hope you guys can imagine this radar or at least understand what im trying to say.

Also, remember how contrails can be seem with the naked eye, but planes like the B-2 have chemicals and other technologies that block these contrails out, but the fact is that the thrust still remains and is blasted out the back. Theres got to be a way to detect this disturbance like a sonar on a submarine. Remember, the higher you go into the atmosphere, the thinner the air, so therefore theres not much natural sound up there if any at all. Im sure the sound of a jet engine can be detected by some sort of advanced high altidue sonar.

Any thoughts about my ideas guys, thanks

Train

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
traditional radar looks for a return echo, however since stealth relies on deflecting radar away from the transmitting source you could link two or more facilities together and transmit from one and look for a bounce or deflected radar pulse at the other or others

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The term you are looking for is "Bi-static Radar".

It has been extensively researched, and works well. However, bi-static systems tend to be too large and too immobile, which makes them vulnerable to attack and pre-planned countermeasures.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The heat signature of stealth planes is reduced, for the F-117 and B-2 by ducting the air up, and not behind thecraft. That is usually the #1 question when people see those stealth planes up close is "where is the engine exhaust?"

For the F-22 it is probly soemthing similar, tho ther are rumors it cools the exhaust before it leaves the plane.

There are also probly Deceptive jammers in use

top topics

join