It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need to discuss collaborative fiction. Please read.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Do you realize you could post your stories in general fiction and everyone who comes to the site could comment on your story? If you post your story in collaborative fiction than only those with a writers designate can comment.

People are posting yet no one is collaborating. Other than getting a "writers" designate on your mini profile there seems to be absolutely no reason for collaborative fiction to exist.

As those who hold the titles of "writer" we need to discuss this. We need to discuss it right now.

Do we have a goal? Do we have a reason for being? Is there an objective to our existence?

WHAT THE HELL IS IT???????

Frankly, I like having the little "writer" emblem on my mini profile. I'd like it even more if I could earn it by collaborating with a few writers.

No one else can fix this. We are the writers. It's our job to work it out.

What say you? Where do we find meaning where there is none? Where do we find a purpose and a goal for the status we've been granted?

Any and ALL input is not only welcome, it is prayed for.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Forthooth!

There have at timeth been thuperb taleth of pulp and thcienth fiction and thordplay and thorthery told by all kindth of narratorth and even by the characterth themthelveth in the tometh of thith Forum.

That thuch taleth are fewer and further between ith a reflection of the thocial fabric, and thometimeth apathy in the fathe of national and international moral decline eggthemplified by the motht corrupt of world leaderth.

Tho thprayeth Muth-ked the Dwarf.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Don't talk with food in your mouth....or in your case, type either.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I admit I'm not very familiar with the short story section, which I guess is the other fiction outlet on ATS you are refering to?

I thought that section was for a short story by the original poster and then comments from other posters.
Coll. fiction is supposed to be a joint effort. Being an amateur writer, I will also admit to not being able to just jump in and add to others writing style. Maybe as I get better at it

I don't think coll. fiction gets as many readers as other sections of ATS, so there is much less interest.

I've been writing in coll. fiction for several weeks. I started a story and I contributed to a story. I like coll. fiction so far.

Please don't rain on my parade.

Ed. to add. = I don't really consider poetry to be a form of coll. fiction. I think it needs it's own subsection. IMHO

[edit on 13-3-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well, I understood what you mean mrwupy, and in a way I agree, but not completely though.

The first reason why I asked for a 'Writer' status was because I was highly interested in posting a poem in a thread, in response to the subject of the thread. I have since then posted a few things, here and there, but to be honest, just a few being "collaborative".

There is a weird thing (I think) in a written text being "collaborated", unless it is taken as a game, or if the "collaboration" is not really linked to the first one except by its subject. I don't see well in what aspect someone can continue a story started by another person. This is only my opinion. When I start to write something, I intend to end and finish it. If I don't, it remains mine, and no other will have the opportunity to write a "next episode" for me.

So, I don't see what is bad here. There are people who are 'Writer' and they earn it because they go with the forum, it is a condition anyway, they post on threads that can be "collaborated": poestry, "chapters not linked" threads (like the 'Today I' thread, which was specifically designed like that), or similar concepts.

Also, there are people who earn the title by being actually writing something, something that can not necessarily be continued by others but that has its value as a written text though. It may not be things that "deny ignorance" or go into any kind of conspiracy, but allowing the free expression of everyone, fictionous or not, and promoting (would it be only by the rewards of some ATS points) the ones who can really write something interesting, I think, is a good action for the overall level of the posters here in ATS.

I was personally proud to be granted that title (and to be honest, I didn't think it was going to be that easy...
), and I don't see well why there is something to be argued here.

Maybe, in your argument, there is something: there could be 2 different forums for the 'Writers': one that would be only about collaborative threads, where there is a link between posts, like 'The word game' or the 'Today I', and another one which would hold the things that one writes not to be continued by others... Personal things, own stories/essays, whatever...

Maybe it's the "collaborative" word that bothers you a bit?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think part of the reason is just being distracted by other sections of ATS......I am one that enjoys this type of expression, however, I am consistently interested in the more rapid fire pace of ATSNN and other topics. I think collaborative fiction is a complementary feature of ATS. It is a section that allows for members to express themselves and for other members to learn a bit more about their compadres.......

mrwupy......that is not to say that I don't agree with you.......collaborative fiction could only benefit from increased participation.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What I am saying is their is no collaboration. Their is no purpose or goal or reason for this forum to exist.

If all you want is to share your short stories than there is already a forum for that.

This forum is for callaborative fiction. We are not doing that. We do not work together, we have no objectives or goals and we damn sure have no plot to the story.

I am a writer. I came here hoping to meet others like myself, people I could share idea's and hopes and stories with.

That is not happening.

Callabortive fiction has not become a shared playground for those who seek freedom in the written word, but a prison for those who have the lack of imagination to build a writing community.

I shall ask Johnbull1 to remove my writers status. There is no point in remaining here.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupyI shall ask Johnbull1 to remove my writers status. There is no point in remaining here.

Imo, that is a bit hasty......I tried to collaborate on "A picture is worth a thousand words." I would collborate more if there was an increased participation.......that is what we should be discussing, the how do we encourage this forum. Not revoking our potential to participate......

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Chapter 2

Ahaaaaa.... but the dastardly MaskedAvatar had other plans.

He sent a delegation to Johnbull1, and asked for Johnbull1 to decree that, forevermore, the title of "Writer" should stick to wupy, not as if a curse, but as if he had stepped on bubblegum and had given up all attempts to remove it with sticks and other proboscises.

The mean Avatar imagined what it would be like for wupy, trapped in such a world he never made.

The doorbell rang.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
"The mean Avatar imagined what it would be like for wupy, trapped in such a world he never made.

The doorbell rang."

I did not make this world. I simply walked into it with hope. I did imagine bringing life unto it, but that is now unto others to decide.

I did make the request.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Chapter 3

MemoryShock sat back, quite content. It had only been four months since his first participation in a quaint, but growing website referred to as AboveTopSecret. However, his integration into the normal flows of conversation had been more successful than planned, as evidenced by the growing discontentment of a one, mrwupy. Already there was much dissention in ATS discussion, but this one was showing frustration at the core inherencies of the site!!! Needless to say, this line of thought would be encouraged.....he must be convinced to stay so that others would become aware.......what use were MemoryShocks efforts if only one discarded his affiliation? Yes, mrwupy's disatisfaction was going to be increasingly useful as influence......a mass staging....the game was real and MemoryShock knew that it was either all or none.......

Smiling, MemoryShock thought further along the timeline. It was almost time for the scorpion invasion......only then could progress be gauged.....

[edit on 13-3-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
(Short story response, NON-collaborative fiction response).

Your last post evoked feelings of abject sadness, loneliness and a lack of compassion from your fellow creatures, all of whom stemmed from the same Creator.

As people of imagination we should be able to admire such evocation and employ these feelings to bring togetherness to that place where previously there was desolation.

That, or maybe kick start with a novel story idea. Sword and sorcery quests were Muth-ked's favorite genre. There have been one or two thrillers and some space opera. I can't remember a decent western, but I prefer country.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
"Your last post evoked feelings of abject sadness, loneliness and a lack of compassion from your fellow creatures, all of whom stemmed from the same Creator. "

I have compasion, But I need purpose.

Can we not unite the community that is the writers of ATS? Can we not give them a reason for being?

Is there no goal we can set for ourselves that lead us to a better understanding of that which brought us here?

We joined this forum to collaborate.

I've read many times that to start a story and just go with the flow is idiocy, for no one knows what will happen.

Fine.

Lets end a story and see who can start it.

Anything, anything, that can shake things up.

Who has the end of a story that we can all work towards?

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Then perhaps this forum should be used to post fiction that might be objectionable to random children and other 'sensitive' visitors, while writers, those of us with an interest in craft and the artistic elements of the written medium, can be more free to write and comment.

The other forum, short stories, could be used for generic bland fiction of the sort easily digestible by anonymous visitors.

I think this would improve ATS, protect its reputation, and serve me rather well. That third one is of course most important.

heh

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It would have to be removed from general publication if that were to occur. As is it appears on the main list each time a new post is made. I'm not even sure if that can be done or not.

I too have stories that I couldn't post here. It has more to do with the language than the graphic violence or sex. Still, I wouldn't want a minor reading them.

I'm not sure an adults only section would work here. How would we verify the age and such. Sounds like a hassle to me.

Still, If this section is going to work than Callorbation should atleast be tried. We should find a means to an end, or even a beginning for that matter.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
mrw said:
" I have compassion, But I need purpose.
Can we not unite the community that is the writers of ATS? Can we not give them a reason for being?
Is there no goal we can set for ourselves that lead us to a better understanding of that which brought us here?
We joined this forum to collaborate."

So, the disllusioned writer tried to make sense of the world around him.

A faerie appeared to him in the dark of night. She told him many things. We must create our own purpose. We cannot give anyone a reason for being--that each must do for himself. People tend to look only to themselves and not want to be involved, community or not.
Only by our example can we hope to free the minds and imaginations of others.

The faerie left him to ponder these ideas. Having the label of writer, possibly for eternity, the disallusioned writer wanted to change the world.

But, is the world ready for the changes he desires?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
DontTreadOnMe Wrote:

"Only by our example can we hope to free the minds and imaginations of others. "

With the weight of the words slowly descending into his soul the Wupy hung his head in understanding. This was not a lesson new or foreign to him, just passed by in his zeal for change.

"Be the change you hope to see in the world" Ghandi.

With this new light burning brightly in his heart the Wupy set out on his quest. Not to lead or show the way for others to follow, but to change the object of his derision from a caterpiller to a butterfly.

Understanding this was his new beginning.

"What a caterpiller calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly." Bach.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I like collaborative fiction, because I like following the installments and working out plots and characters that fit the story. Clearly, there is a problem with having enough contributors. One way to help in this regard would be to invite others to join in. I think this section is highly neglected and would like to see a concerted effort to increase activity.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Grady, I agree that it would be nice to have a few more folks contributing. But, I am glad you have to ask to join. We don't need folks just posting off-topic crap just to get points. So, on the one hand few post here, but on the other hand, we get little trashing of stories.

You have to wonder what percentage of the in-real-life population likes to write fiction, or even poetry. 1%? 3%??
If there are 3500 regular posters in any given month, the number of people at ATS willing to contribute would be about 30-100. I just don't think many more here have the inclination to fictionalize. And, it seems those willing to contribute to others' stories and share the "glory" would be an even smaller number.
My 2-cents.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Unexpectedly, unannounced and unnoticed, a cloaked figure floated across the lobby at Collaborative Fiction Labs, like a Christopher Dean on ice, but silently and less prissily.

The man who moved in mysterious ways knew exactly where he was going, directly to Lab W.U.P.Y., to intervene in the experiment. There, unseen by any party, he injected foreign DNA and the reagent into the designated coccoon, retraced his steps and departed, allowing the mutation to begin immediately.

You can't hire good security these days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join