It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 down

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'll admit to being ignorant of the meaning of the acronym OBOGS so I Google'd it after your reply, Zaphod, IIUC it stands for On-Board Oxygen Generation Systems.

Now I'm having recall of stories that even I'd read about in the MSM concerning the F-35 and odd pilot grogginess/lethargy that seemed to afflict pilots in the early days of its rollout, and the connection this had with the plane's breathing system.

This makes sense to me now, and I can understand the piqued curiosity and mild skepticism that some have when "pilot fatigue" is associated with this aircraft.

Thanks for helping connect the dots.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Pilot fatigue can mean a lot of things. Without knowing specifically what type of training was being performed, I wouldn't read too much into that. Since they are training maintainers there as well, what about "maintainer fatigue" or error.

As far as the anti-fatigue systems in cars are concerned, I don't have any faith in them. They are just a gimmick. It used to be that car advertisements were based on the mechanical capabilities of the vehicle, now they are about Bluetooth, navigation systems and other gimmicks.

Yeah, the anti-fatigue system in my wife's SUV for sure seems a bit....flaky, at least in our evaluation with it.

I think the concept is really good, but the execution of it at least in my wife's vehicle leaves much to desired. Then again, it's not really drawing its conclusion from the driver's physiology as much as from feedback from how the car is being driven. Maybe eventually the technology will improve to make this more useful, God knows reducing tired driving can and will save many lives. But ATM I trust the "rumble strips" on the periphery of the road more than current generation of in-car tech.

posted on Oct, 6 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

The OBOGS in the F-22 had a lot of problems in the early days. It eventually went on to play a role in the death of a pilot and loss of an airframe. The T-45, and others had pretty significant issues with their systems as well. The T-45s were grounded for awhile after pilots refused to fly them. It beats the old liquid oxygen system, because it doesn't limit how long an aircraft can fly, but it's been difficult to get the system right.

posted on Oct, 7 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   

The report said the pilot was fatigued and said he had been having increasingly poor sleep. The pilot also said he felt fatigued more often in the F-35 than in his previous aircraft, the F-15E. The report notes that the F-35′s oxygen delivery system is different than legacy oxygen systems like the one in the F-15E, and has caused many F-35 pilots to feel slightly more fatigued than usual.

Wonder if its an overwhelm fatigue due to all the info fed to the pilot.

posted on Oct, 7 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

It appears to be the OBOGS. They have multiple reports of pilots getting more fatigued than in other aircraft.

posted on Oct, 8 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That POS again.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Blackfinger

It appears to be the OBOGS. They have multiple reports of pilots getting more fatigued than in other aircraft.

Or it’s the F-15E pilot that has to actually brief instead of his WSO, or actually check six instead of his wso, or change the radio freq instead of his wso, or use the radio by depressing the mic switch instead of his wso, or......

Yeah. Poor guy is tired. He will get used to it. Welcome to single seat braah.

posted on Oct, 17 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Haven’t heard of any issues with the OBOGS on Typhoon, do they do it differently? (Except one we filled with oil from the APU).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join