It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People are refusing to work

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I put this in pandemic because I guess it's related.

My business is in the employment industry.
I find skilled employees but that also has me working with human resource departments in many companies.

I've heard four times this week that people are refusing to return to work. They are using the "I'm scared" reason for their refusal.
They are also admitting "off the record" that they are making more money on unemployment than they will working thanks to the $600 a week bonus.

Who didn't see this coming?

Some states will be cutting benefits if people refuse. Not sure how that effects the $600.

labor.vermont.gov...

www.cpr.org...

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Who would guess social benefit for not working will ends in people refuse to go to work and earn less money?

Money for lazyness vs money for hard work.
For some kind of people choice is clear.

Thanks God I have a job and work to do.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I've heard of three restaurants (in a neighboring state - mine aren't yet allowed) where they re-opened only to have their entire workforce walk out because proper safety measures weren't being taken. And these are front and back-house people who aren't getting paid or benefits if they don't work.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22 I clear a little more on unemployment ,with no deductions that is,but by golly I'll tear the doors down getting back to work,hopefully in the next week or two.I hate being off, rethinking the retiring in 5 years or so.This sucks,thank God I have a nice workshop and longrifles and knives to make or I'd be crazy-- well,crazier.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: residentofearth

Why can't I work and get the free money as well?

I mean in these uncertain times I admit I feel more like hoarding.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Some states will be cutting benefits if people refuse. Not sure how that effects the $600.

If this keeps getting abused, the money will go away. Which sucks for those that aren’t lazy asses.

But I’m all for that. Let the stimulus go away and let us go back to work.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Who would have thought that if you subsidize a thing, you get more of it?

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:57 AM
link   

My husband is a manager working for an American technology company. He inherited his new batch of employees from a promotion last year, and he is pretty unhappy with most of them. He says they are ridiculously freaked out over the wuflu and all of them tried to get sent home last month because they found out they used a work space for about 30 minutes that had been used by an employee who tested positive (after it had been sanitized.) They got to work from home, but had to show up to work last week again.

They found out last Friday that they attended a meeting with another employee who tested positive , and the freak-out commenced again. Two of them "asked" if they needed a lawyer. My husband was forced to send them home again due to the "joke". The team cannot do their job as efficiently working from home. Guess who gets blamed when the projects aren't ready on time as a result of this b.s.?

The first employee that contracted the virus has since returned to work after staying at home for over two weeks with extremely mild symptoms and fully recovered. The last employee is also at home with, you guessed it, extremely mild symptoms. My husband knows some of his employees are trouble, and has wanted to replace them for quite some time now, but his hands are now tied. They are taking advantage of this situation as much as they can.

I know this is happening all over the place. I know some companies are terrified of lawsuits, and really who can blame them? So much craziness.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

A small taste of why Yang's plan would never work... These lazy bums have no idea that this money has to be paid back and once they find another job, since I assume their old one will be replaced, then they're not going to be too excited. The entire employee base at the company I work for just got a hazard pay check for all the days over the past month and a half for sticking around and not running off scared. Of the 19 people who did run, they've been replaced and their unemployment requests have been denied due to false claims. Now they're crying to have their job back and aren't getting it.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I put this in pandemic because I guess it's related.

My business is in the employment industry.
I find skilled employees but that also has me working with human resource departments in many companies.

I've heard four times this week that people are refusing to return to work. They are using the "I'm scared" reason for their refusal.
They are also admitting "off the record" that they are making more money on unemployment than they will working thanks to the $600 a week bonus.

Who didn't see this coming?

labor.vermont.gov...

www.cpr.org...

Hey, B. My wife is social working from home employment counselling former addicts, convicted, people developmentally disabled.

I got give her credit...and she's good at it...
edit on 19-5-2020 by mysterioustranger because: Damn auto-correct

edit on 19-5-2020 by mysterioustranger because: A-gain. Auto correct

+2 more 
posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I'm not sure I would call it lazy.
You have a crap job and are getting paid more to not do it.
You can get another crap job later.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That's what happens when unemployment pays more than a job. Soon it will become a UBI & businesses will have to pay more than what the UBI pays to incentivise people to work. I am earning $525 per week after taxes and health insurance. If I were to get fired, I'd be paid @ 900 per week & be eligible for Medicare. Since businesses are going to need to pay their employees more to incentivise people to work, costs will go up and prices will rise.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   
i always take the workers' side.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I mentioned in a thread a couple weeks ago that companies were being told to report those who aren't willing to return to work.

Some folks are too easily manipulated and irrational to deal with this. Inevitably, a good portion of the workforce is going to have concerns, whether it's warranted or not. Those that think they're sitting pretty will ride the coattails of those that are sincerely hysterical to the bitter end.

Then there's that pesky "second wave" scenario being thrown around so the rationale is, why return to work if it's just going to be shutdown again?

That unemployment check has more stability than the present state of the economy, while it lasts.

Eventually it's going to run out and that's when I'll start microwaving some popcorn because it's going to get real spicy around here.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: klimitzgus

This is one of the reasons the unemployment numbers are so high. The other is due to people quitting and then filing for unemployment. In Louisiana we can let the unemployment office know that the claims are false and they'll get nothing. So they quit to get unemployment, then end up with jackshart.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   
There are a lot of people making a few hundred a week working...some are pissed their bosses are opening back up.

I dont blame them...ride that wave until its gone....then go back to $1-2-3 even $400 per week working ..why not

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I disagree. I think it's lazy if you don't want to earn your money. We got a stimulus check. Live within your means and work your way up like people are supposed to do. Not "you" as in Bluntone, but "you" in general.

I think the idea sounds good, too, and my wife would make more getting $600 on top of an unemployment check but she has too much pride to sit on her ass and collect a check that she knows she'll have to pay back eventually.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBIZZ
That's what happens when unemployment pays more than a job. Soon it will become a UBI & businesses will have to pay more than what the UBI pays to incentivise people to work. I am earning $525 per week after taxes and health insurance. If I were to get fired, I'd be paid @ 900 per week & be eligible for Medicare. Since businesses are going to need to pay their employees more to incentivise people to work, costs will go up and prices will rise.

The problem with that is that a UBI will create an artificial wage and price floor. If a business has to pay more than UBI to incentivize employees, then the good and services produced by any business will necessarily raise the barrier of entry into the economy above what someone living on UBI can support meaning UBI pretty soon becomes substandard for its purpose which is to be a "universal basic income" which, correct me if I'm wrong, is supposed to keep one at at least a subsistence standard of life.

And at that point, raising any UBI to attempt to compensate would be exactly like raising the minimum wage now -- it only creates a ripple effect whereby any benefits of having done are temporary at best and mere feelgood measures.
edit on 19-5-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'm currently making about $150 more a week unemployed than I was when I was working. But I'm also applying for jobs on a daily basis because I'm not sure my old job will still exist when this is all over.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz5

Which worker, the one you can't depend on who would rather be a liability and sit at home to collect a check or the one who would rather continue getting up every morning to earn their pay and remain or become a dependable asset?
edit on 19-5-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join