It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to impose 80% tariff on Aus Barley imports.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Hang in there Australia! You'll have the support of the rest of the planet and hopefully, we step up and buy some of that barley. Every country needs it. We make our beer out of it.

Would love to believe that though we were told the same in WW2 and then when the Japs were on our doorstep in Papua New Guinea your coward General Douglas McArthur left us high and dry. We should of hung him in a public square for it.

Think you should keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself
Go study history, come back and apologise to the Americans for being a fool

My apologies to people who think Australia don’t owe you Yanks a great big thanks and debt for clearing the Pacific of our common enemy at the time.

Then as now, we Australians are very grateful for your efforts and sacrifice, that we stood together to fight tyranny.
And since in the many wars we have shown our gratitude

MacArthurs retreat was wise, strategic and a valid decision in a 5 year war allowing the Allies to rearm and repurpose to a US lead victory over Japan

DAMN well said good fellow
and as a point of interest after the war at a special seating of the govt of the commonwealth
a vote was taken and the resulting positive vote ensured the land in Canberra upon which the American embassy
stands was ceded to the American people for as long as there is an Australia as a thankyou

edit on 18-5-2020 by pronto because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I'm talking about one specific general not the entire US armed forces. I'm not apologising to anyone.

Surely you do not believe the US army cleared out the pacific of the Japanese purely to serve Australian interests? I'm not anti-American although it is the nature of nations to hold friendly relations until such time as they are no longer necessary to self interests. Just a fact and time will tell who our friends are in this age.

MacArthur was more concerned with his image as a hero of the Philippines than helping our reserve forces defeat the Japanese in PNG and as the following excerpt mentions, abandoned Australias northern defences and essentially rolled out the welcome mat. Lucky those brave lads on the Kokoda track were true heroes, unlike this twat.

MacArthur came to Australia with an obsession to return to the Philippines as a hero. With his mind unwaveringly fixed on a triumphant return to the Philippines, MacArthur would neglect the northern defences of Australia and almost hand the Japanese a victory on the Kokoda Track.

P.S in regards to the European theatre the Russians are the unthanked hero of that victory. If not for them there's still be a swastika flying over Europe today.

In March 1942, the first American troops were sent to Australia from the United States

Source: pacificwar.org.au

edit on 1852020 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Battle of the Coral sea, Japan sends 6000 troops to invade Port Moresby, almost a part of Australia, defended by a handful of “chockos”

Allied navies lead by the US stop them dead

No the US had and still do have self interests, obviously
MacArthur could at times be a grand standing fool but didn’t all armies have generals like that at the time.

Go watch the recent movie Midway
Pretty sure the US did their best, even MacArthur did his best

If it wasn’t for the Coral Sea battle, PNG would have fallen

Thanks USA, glad you were there with us

edit on 18-5-2020 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

They do, and I am telling you that when we are no longer convenient to those self interests things will change. It would with any country as that is generally how they operate.

Will have to check the movie out, thanks for mentioning it. MacArthur, from the information I have digested only did his best in serving his self interests and those of the US.

I also thank the USA for being there with us, in the times that you were and that certainly was not in Papua New Guinea when the Japanese were on our doorstep although I only lay the blame for that at the feet of General Douglas MacArthur.

I've been there, I like America and Americans.
edit on 1852020 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: pronto

Domestic production is something I vehemently agree with, especially critical products that are necessary at a moments notice.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: Arnie123

care factor = 0

We will adapt, as always.

Sublime my good man, I'm with you, I got your back, but brother, hear me out, the Chinese are coming for your purses, they're attempring to wipe billions off trade, that's food coming out of your peoples mouths, WHAT SAY YOU?!?

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Hang in there Australia! You'll have the support of the rest of the planet and hopefully, we step up and buy some of that barley. Every country needs it. We make our beer out of it.
Lol, that certainly is true.

I think it is in the interest of all democratic nations to help out.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Maybe the world should cut off their pork exports to China. They can eat more bugs instead
Hmmm, not a bad idea at all....

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere
Meanwhile there is lots of other trade still happening between Aus and China... for instance, China is buying a huge amount of Iron Ore from Aus currently... you could even say "stockpile" amounts... though much of it is likely to also try to restart industry and fill many outstanding manufacturing orders.

Maybe we should stop selling them Iron?... both as economic retaliation, and as a way to assure a critical wartime resource is not all sitting in China.
Sometimes in geopolitics, tit for tat is a thing. Action equals Reaction, thus is the causal nature of the world.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

That's crony politics for you, one of your politicians is benefitting from that, real talk.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I can’t speak for governments but, Australia, Canada, Britain and the US, possibly a few other smaller nations have developed more than a trust on a personal, individual society based level.
We all serve ourselves ultimately, nobody thinks otherwise or they are a fool.

Had it not been for the naval Battle of the Coral sea, the ensuing destruction of the Japanese PNG invasion fleet lead by the US, Port Moresby would have been taken, then PNG would have fallen to Japan, no question.

The US were the principle reason PNG did not fall to Japan

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Arnie123

Will the Aussies back down and apologize?

Or will they tell China to protect their babies from the Midnight Dingoes?

No way no apology, we will negotiate and possible seek to mediate through the WTO, if nothing cones from it we will sell our barley to other markets, of which there are plenty, Aussie barley is the best in the world and you need good barley to make good beer.

Luckily for China they can buy barley from you guys in the U.S until trump slaps a tariff on it.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

As an American read up on history I agree MacArthur was an egotistical type who was more politically inclined than good general such as Patton. MacArthur lead from the rear with huge headquarters and yes men surrounding him - the legend is not deserved.

He made many mistakes in 1941 Philippines debacle in the first place and should have been sacked but morale demanded rehabilitation.

Here in the US I look for any products I can purchase NOT made in China - thats not new for me as been doing that for 15 years as I could sort of see the day coming where it'd be major issue. If I see something I need thats Aussie made I'll buy it even at a premium.

Tariffs have been shown to work by Trump against many naysayers so if Australia has something like a sweetheart natural gas deal it needs to be tariffed and proceeds used to amorialate domestic costs.

I'm sure there are many items like that especially when shipping costs are factored into finding replacements by the Chinese.

Your Prime Ministers insistence on investigating responsibility for spread of coronavirus by independent means is spot on.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

China is buying her barley out of the US as of now
The trade war between to two has hotted up and Trump is winning

The US and Trump have forced the Chinese to spend more renmimbi into the US
Trump is a clever man looking after US interests and that is why the US voted him into power.

Good for the US is not good for Australia here

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

As an American read up on history I agree MacArthur was an egotistical type who was more politically inclined than good general such as Patton. MacArthur lead from the rear with huge headquarters and yes men surrounding him - the legend is not deserved.

He made many mistakes in 1941 Philippines debacle in the first place and should have been sacked but morale demanded rehabilitation.

Here in the US I look for any products I can purchase NOT made in China - thats not new for me as been doing that for 15 years as I could sort of see the day coming where it'd be major issue. If I see something I need thats Aussie made I'll buy it even at a premium.

Tariffs have been shown to work by Trump against many naysayers so if Australia has something like a sweetheart natural gas deal it needs to be tariffed and proceeds used to amorialate domestic costs.

I'm sure there are many items like that especially when shipping costs are factored into finding replacements by the Chinese.

Your Prime Ministers insistence on investigating responsibility for spread of coronavirus by independent means is spot on.

Thankyou for your input and very balanced assessment of MacArthur, he was a jackass.

Love your initiative to support Aussie produce as well! I'm certainly paying even more attention to where my goods are produced now as well...I've got a very low opinion of bullies and don't believe they should be kowtowed to.

Our Prime Minister is not a great example of Australians but yes, absolutely spot on in his calls for an independent investigation in to China's handling of the wubonic plague.

I read yesterday that their ambassador is no longer return calls from our trade minister as he "doesn't have the time".

Arrogant little bastard he is.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Sure buying more agricultural product was part of trade deal Trump made. The Chinese also at last moment inserted a "force majeur" clause giving an out. We'll see how long this goes.

Me I'm not counting on Chinese upholding agreement as pressure is applied for coronavirus spread.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Your government could request a trip home for consultation until the little bastard finds time to meet and do his job. In their system that loss of face insures he'll never return and be replaced.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Australia has lost 99 people to this Plandemic Hoax and we decide to be the hero nation to bring China to account.

We don't have to kiss their ass, but we also don't have to poke a sleeping bear with a stick.

Our Wanker prime minister has destroyed the livelihoods of so many of our farmers by being the hero, when countries like the United States - 92 000 dead, and the UK 35 000 dead, have much more reason to bring China to account.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Agree, they are a people who would do just about anything to avoid losing face.

I think the only reason we wouldn't is that dismissing a foreign diplomat is a severe escalation at a time of tension. Would still laugh at it happening though.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie2018

Which farmers? I've not seen or heard any reports of any agricultural operations collapsing in lieu of this. Admittedly, not yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join