It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Douglas C-47 & P-51 Mustang Airplanes Take Part In “Operation Thanks From Above” In Upstate NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I caught a glimpse of these aircraft as they approached the Greater Rochester International Airport, that's located about 2 miles from my house in Chili, NY. They landed to refuel and will be taking off any minute to continue this mission.

They're taking part in a massive flyover, called “Operation Thanks From Above," which is taking place in Upstate and Western NY.

I'll try to take some video footage of them taking off and include it in this thread later today.

The National Warplane Museum (located in Geneseo, NY) will be conducting flyovers in Western New York and Central New York on Saturday, May 16. The mission called “Operation Thanks From Above,” will honor first responders, health care professionals and essential workers.

The museum’s very own Douglas C-47, also known as the Whiskey 7, will lead the mission along with one other plane, the MadMax, which is a P-51 Mustang with a Merlin engine.

“This mission is one of many that are taking place across the country and we are honored to be a part of showing our gratitude and support for those on the front lines,” says Todd Cameron, a member of the team organizing the mission and director of flight operations at the museum.

www.newyorkupstate.com...

Pictures of "Whiskey 7":

Pictures of "Mad Max":

Video Footage from @ 1 hour ago:

edit on 5/16/2020 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Awesome! It's great to see these beautiful vintage birds taking to the skies to say thanks. Especially with Oshkosh and Sun n Fun cancelled and the opportunities to watch history fly diminished this year.

I love the Blue Angels and T-Birds but it's the antiques and warbirds that really do it for me.

Nice footage!

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I missed these planes taking off from the airport, but someone took a great photo of the Douglas C-47:

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It's nice and pretty and all, but really ...

Not going to make a bit of difference in anybody's life.

edit on 2020 5 16 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

So a smile is meaningless?

Sometimes, the little things matter. If it weren't for the small things, life as we know it would be another meaningless gesture. And maybe it is.

But I'll stop and smell the roses, thanks. Or the 100LL avgas.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

A lot of the healthcare workers are enjoying the hell out of all these flyovers. It makes them happy, the pilots and aircraft have to fly anyway, so what's the big deal.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
It's nice and pretty and all, but really ...

Not going to make a bit of difference in anybody's life.

Are you kidding?!

They flew over my home town today, Auburn. The entire town was out. People 6' apart, masked, and talking. It was great to see.

new topics

top topics

join