It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New survey 40% parents now inclined to homeschool, mostly Blacks and Democrats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   
An opinion research firm has found that 40% of respondents say they are more likely to homeschool because of their experience with schools being closed than before COVID 19. www.federationforchildren.org...

The big surprise to me is that more Democrats than Republicans are now considering homeschooling.
Black families are nearly tied with Asian families and beat out all other types of families by a mile that are considering homeschooling.

I thought that keeping kids out of school would cause a surge in homeschooling. I had no idea this many parents would think it was a viable option for them.

Traditionally we think of homeschooling as the province of white conservatives and Republicans, but I guess this was drastically wrong.

With schools shut down and child care not available for school age children around many parts of the nation, including my town, parents have been forced to sit down with their children and do homeschooling.

For our family the experience was a real eye opener. Our elementary student received online 1 (as in one) worksheet a day per subject and that was it. It was appalling and now the school is saying they won't reopen in the fall. We certainly won't let that child be ignorant, uneducated, and fail because of the wretchedly poor "online" schooling she received in the spring. We are already ordering books and plan on teaching her ourselves because what she got online in the fall was not an education, it was a recipe for ignorance. We were concerned about her reading last fall and had hired a tutor for her for the year even though she got all A's in reading from the school, now we are so glad we did.

For a high school student we were caring for it was even worse. The worst part was the high school is in the top 100 in the entire nation. She got ZERO work to do from most of her teachers. When we complained the principal said she'd look into it, nothing changed. The most challenging and hardest assignment she received was this: Think about (no essay, no report, nothing, just think) about how the coronavirus has affected your personally. That was it!

After asking around various families we found the same thing was happening all over our district in a very upscale area with very well educated parents and an "award winning" district. It was horrifying!

Only one of the children had real work to do and got a real education. The gifted one in all honors classes. Again after asking around we found this to be universally true in our district. ONLY children in AP or honors classes were getting a real education, the rest were given either nothing or barely anything one could call an education.

Now that parents have seen the kind of education their children are getting in public schools, it is no wonder that nearly half are considering homeschooling as a viable option. They have had their eyes opened to how wretched an education children are receiving from public schools if they aren't special in some way, if they are normal, average kids. They are disgusted and appalled, like we are.

The results show that 40% of families are more likely to homeschool or virtual school after lockdowns, and that 64% support school choice and 69% support the federal Education Freedom Scholarships proposal.
Millions of families are seeing the inadequacies of school districts

edit on 5/15/20 by The2Billies because: spelling

+14 more 
posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hope they keep at it.

Maybe they'll begin to see what schools really are.

Indoctrination camps.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I applaud our teachers 1000%

Our teachers are the best, an I miss them.

Dont you?

+2 more 
posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sunkuong

Glad your teachers are good, or maybe just fun. Fun does not equal an education.

If COVID 19 lockdowns have taught parents anything it is that the children are receiving a sub-par education and they can do much better.

+9 more 
posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   

No. Why would I want my children to listen to unhinged leftist dribble all day long?
Most teachers are garbage and that's the dirty secret.
edit on 5 15 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I want them to go back to school. My whole home routine is screwed up, house cleaning is way behind because I have to do the homework stuff in the morning or I lose my kids interest. She doesn't do one worksheet a day, she has a schedule of various worksheets to do each day. She's in special education classes and speech therapy, in which I am hoping I am doing that right. I am a Republican that is sick of homeschooling and the whole pandemic thing, I am so over it!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   

One of my clients home schools their kids.
They get together with other like minded parents "christian based" for group activities and resource sharing.

They are some of the most socially backwards kids I've ever met.

I know there are parents that are much better at home schooling than them but wow.. His kids are weird.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

No. Why would I want my children to listen to unhinged leftist dribble all day long?

My wife is a manager of a credit union.
Teachers make up some of her biggest problems with overdrafts and bad credit.
And no it's not because they are under paid here in indiana either. She sees their paychecks.

One pair of married teachers had 8 grand in overdraft fees... That's $29 a pop....wow

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: sunkuong
I applaud our teachers 1000%

Our teachers are the best, an I miss them.

Dont you?

Teachers are great. But you can't argue the fact the students as a whole are failing in the education department in many countries. The school ratings in the US are getting worse, not better. In spite of all the money being thrown at our students, it seems we missed the boat and should have been throwing books and academic lessons.

The school I'm at was in the top 4 in the state 6 years ago and last year was at #15. The teachers have gotten lax and teach more feel good stuff like being tolerant, being kind, being passive etc. than academics. I often go by the shop class at the school and the door is always open and the teacher easily heard. The teacher uses his time mostly to talk about himself, life stories etc. while the kids have their heads on their desks out of boredom or dig in their backpacks for whatever. It's a regular classroom with a couple of lightweight tools on a counter. We have no official Science teacher and several teachers fill in throughout the year. When I was in high school, the shop class was a huge room with power tools. The class built a whole house every other year and sold it for money for the school. We also had a home decorating class where the students made all the interior decisions from cabinets, paint color and textures, carpets etal. They all actually learned to make and create an item of value.

The library in the school is a joke. A small book shelf and rows of computers. For the elementary, there are about 200 books to choose from where special reading is done for students that need it.

We have kids graduating from high school that can barely read and comprehend a 5th grade level reading assignment, can't do math on paper or in their heads and couldn't author a paragraph of any quality on their own. With such things as books that can read TO you instead of BY you for the 'reading', spell check and Grammarly AI for 'writing', calculators for the 'arithmetic', the three R's are no longer needed to be competent. Who needs an education?

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

One of my clients home schools their kids.
They get together with other like minded parents "christian based" for group activities and resource sharing.

They are some of the most socially backwards kids I've ever met.

I know there are parents that are much better at home schooling than them but wow.. His kids are weird.

I taught in Univ for many years. All but one of the hundreds of homeschooled students I encountered was socially awkward. The vast majority were well adjusted and not afraid to ask questions. I actually had a preference for home schooled students as they were willing to ask challenging questions and willing to discuss and debate on a much higher and less emotional basis then public schooled students.

I had far more really weird and badly adjusted public school students even by percentage and not just numbers, than poorly socially adjusted homeschooled students.

One encounter does not speak for all.

I taught PSY and actually the findings are surprising at how, in general, homeschooled kids turn out to be well adjusted and well educated adults.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: liliththedestroyer

I want them to go back to school. My whole home routine is screwed up, house cleaning is way behind because I have to do the homework stuff in the morning or I lose my kids interest. She doesn't do one worksheet a day, she has a schedule of various worksheets to do each day. She's in special education classes and speech therapy, in which I am hoping I am doing that right. I am a Republican that is sick of homeschooling and the whole pandemic thing, I am so over it!

Hmmmmmm. Clean house at the end of the day or an educated student, quality interaction between parent and child and opportunity to show your child the importance of academics and build confidence in competency. It sucks to have our schedules disrupted but priorities man.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I'm neither of those and I'd much rather keep my kids out of the public school manipulation system of propaganda.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: liliththedestroyer

That is fine for you. No problem if that is what you want to do.

This is no diss on your personal choice.

Kids who need special education, on either end, gifted or challenged probably do well in public education. For parents with challenged children like yours, they have skills to teach the children regular parents don't have.

However, for those regular parents of "normal" "average" kids - if they are as appalled by the quality of what was sent home in Spring and what will be sent home in Fall, since it looks like schools will not reopen - perhaps taking the bull by the horns and saying "shove it" to the public system may be a real option. The surprise is how many Democrats/liberals are thinking this way.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Uh oh.... the teacher's unions are going to be pissed off.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

You must not know a majority of teachers in the US public school system. I applaud most of them that taught me in the 80's and 90's. I applaud about 10% of teachers today.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

It's also one of the easiest degrees to get now, just like journalism. See the pattern?

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Like most things, it’ll go both ways; you’ll have educated parents giving their kids a great education at home and you’ll have dolts who will sit their kid in front of a TV to watch that Oak Island show on the History channel and call it a day.

I’ve been out of school since 2001, never went to college. If the education system has gotten worse since then....I’m scared to know what it’s like now. My wife is an education coordinator for a charter school system, while she doesn’t have anything to do with the curriculums, she manages the people who do and sees what they put forth. Really, what they’re instructed to put forth. What they would like to put in a curriculum is vastly different than what they are told to put in.

I’ve also heard plenty of common core nightmares. Students getting the answers correct on tests but being marked as wrong because they did not follow the common core steps to get to the answer. I think those students should be celebrated rather than told they’re wrong. My job, every single day, is comprised of solving a multitude of problems that come along with running a 500,000sq foot campus. We would not pull this off effectively if we did not team together with different ways to fix the issues.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Indoctrination camps.

That's just silly. Sure, sometimes history is watered down like with Christopher Columbus. And health teaches you all drugs are bad
. Besides that, i don't see how public school is "indoctrination".

If anything, homeschooling may be more restrictive because it relies on just one parent's knowledg, or a computer to teach a student.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

A sub par education by their teachers? Byvtheir parents? By society?

How sub par are we talking?

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

You're right.
They are ran more like prisons...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join