It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antibody Studies Of Spain And France Show Just 5% Of Population Has Been Infected

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There goes that herd immunity theory as that will not happen for quite a long time. It appears only 5% or so have been infected to date with up to 10% infection rate in some of the hardest hit areas. I am sure it will be much lower in much of the US since we only had a couple of hot spots before life went on hold.

Antibody Studies Of Spain And France Show Just Five Percent Of Population Has Been Infected

hotair.com...

The infection fatality rate there stands at around 1.2 percent, or 12 times more lethal than the flu. “We have not been surprised” by the results, said the country’s health minister. “There is no herd immunity in Spain.”

France has been testing its population for antibodies too. The results were similar.

A mere 4.4 per cent of the French population – 2.8 million people – have been infected, according to findings by the Pasteur Institue, published in the journal Science and based on models applied to hospital and death data.

Even in the worst hit parts of France, the eastern area and the Paris region, the infection rate only reaches between nine and 10 per cent on average, the research found.

From France to China, nations worry about low rates of coronavirus infection

www.nbcnews.com...

In a worrying sign that coronavirus may not be done sweeping through nations that are beginning to emerge from lockdown, recent studies in Spain, France and England indicate that only a small fraction of these countries' populations had been infected with the virus.

The figure is far lower than the 65 percent of the population many experts believe is needed to achieve so-called "herd immunity" and control the pandemic, the report found.

edit on 14-5-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

So just to be sure I am reading the situation correctly....In the beginning and up to now the concern was over how many people would get infected (hence the lockdown etc...flatten the curve whatever..) NOW they are worried not enough people have been infected in order to move towards "herd immunity"?

Hmmm maybe they should have just quarantined high risk individuals and let the rest of the adults make decisions for themselves regarding this virus.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

So the lockdown works and that's a bad thing ?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

That sucks....

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Habs2133

Hmmm maybe they should have just quarantined high risk individuals and let the rest of the adults make decisions for themselves regarding this virus.

OR let ALL adults decide for themselves in accordance with their own rights, needs, and circumstances.

And provide appropriate help and support for those most vulnerable to minimize their risks.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I thought that many dead from only 5 or 10% of the pop seems worrying?

Hopefully someone will come along and show me that 5% of the pop get lime disease each year and more people die from that.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yep I agree with that.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

OR let ALL adults decide for themselves in accordance with their own rights, needs, and circumstances. And provide appropriate help and support for those most vulnerable to minimize their risks.

I always liked you.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

There was hope that there were a ton of asymptomatic people out there and we had a lot more people with the "herd immunity" if there is such a thing, than we actually have.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Both Spain and France (along with Italy) have had some of the strictest lockdown measures in place for a couple months now. Of course the number affected is low! That was the point!!!

Even the WHO is saying that CoVid is quite likely here to stay. All the fantasy talk about cures and vaccines and testing was propaganda and setting us all up for failure. It's a virus. It's already weakening. It's already mutating. We haven't been able to develop any vaccines for coronaviruses and it's silly to think this one is an exception. People will develop antibodies and we will achieve herd immunity if we stop trying to thwart Mother Nature and work in harmony with Mother Nature -- and our own bodies.

We can make appropriate arrangements for those who need extra consideration. We can take care of those who need taking care of.

We can also allow the rest of the world to get back to the business of living, taking precautions as deemed for their needs and circumstances, to take care of themselves and their families, so that WE CAN take care of those who need a little extra.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Habs2133
a reply to: scraedtosleep

That warms my heart and gives me hope. Maybe there's more of us than them after all...

Thank you!

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

The problem with herd immunity is it's OK for a reasonably benign infection but for a virus that is killing the people this one is killing herd immunity would be a high price to pay in terms of lives lost.

Bolsonaro ignored the advice he received and now Brazil is paying the price.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

"herd immunity" if there is such a thing,

I've been wondering that myself.
Everyone seems to just accept that it would work that way for us.

But I can't find any recent test or experiments.

Herd immunity was recognized as a naturally occurring phenomenon in the 1930s when it was observed that after a significant number of children had become immune to measles, the number of new infections temporarily decreased, including among susceptible children.[8] Mass vaccination to induce herd immunity has since become common and proved successful in preventing the spread of many infectious diseases

Basically what that is saying is that we noticed something in the 1930 and then immediately did something else for the next 100 years. Wtf! That does not fill me with confidence that herd immunity is real.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I'm no scientist, but wouldn't a lockdown prevent herd immunity from occurring, since it limits the number of people out in public? Could it also be this virus isn't as contagious as we've been told? Also, there's evidence that lockdowns can weaken the immune system, as does using anti-bacterial soaps and wipes multiple times during the course of the day. Fresh air and sunlight has benefits to one's immunity as well. So what are we suppose to do exactly? Stay sheltered at home until a vaccine comes along, while weakening our immune systems in the process?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
"Only 5%"?!?! First they quarantine everyone in hope that it would stop virus from spreading and now they are suprised that there are only 20-50 times more infected from their official number. What a bunch of morons and hypocrites... Now they're sorry that numbers are so "low", so that herd immunity couldn't be created. But it's precesily because of their policies that herd immunity couldn't be created. So that the game could go on, to continue to live in fear and expect a second wave that could be even more deadly. Motherf*#!*"#....

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Sit near a window?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: alomaha
"Only 5%"?!?! First they quarantine everyone in hope that it would stop virus from spreading and now they are suprised that there are only 20-50 times more infected from their official number. What a bunch of morons and hypocrites... Now they're sorry that numbers are so "low", so that herd immunity couldn't be created. But it's precesily because of their policies that herd immunity couldn't be created. So that the game could go on, to continue to live in fear and expect a second wave that could be even more deadly. Motherf*#!*"#....

Basically, yes. Amazing the results you get when you let "medical experts" dictate policy in countries. Well intentioned or not...this is what you get.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

My question is why don't we have answers, or at least suggestions of answers, to these questions after months of global research?!?

Where are the wide scale, independent studies that definitively answer some of these basic questions? Shouldn't we be at least seeing them underway, if not results by now?

It seems the real problem is no-one is actually sharing information. Everyone is trying to profit from their own particular research agenda, regardless whether it contradicts other agendas... we need to have a Open Data approach to the available literature in the health fields!

What we absolutely NEED is to stop for-profit medicine!

Health for profit fundamentally creates a conflict of interest, and leads to non-collaborative and secretive methodologies.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Yep, but I enjoy working outside better.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzlesphere

The problem is, the really informative data is being censored and removed from social media sites and never mentioned on MSM. Hmm, I wonder why?

edit on 5/14/2020 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join