It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting thought as to the REAL benefit of keeping bars closed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

Can't count how many times I've met random people in bars who are generally interesting and have smart things to say.

No, me neither.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Another thought on keeping bars closed...

It has traditionally been a place for individuals to get away from home or work life and have a "breather".

The added stress of nowhere to really let off steam will perhaps take it's toll.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
My friends and I just drink on the streets now. Who needs walls?
The cops in Austin turn a blind eye to open containers and other normally fineable offensives.
As long as you aren't causing harm to anyone they just move along and mind their own business.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Slightly off topic, but our immune systems are probably all weaker and for the worst right now. Why? well because we're only breathing in 2 environments, our home, and our supermarket. Think of all the other interiors we normally "ingest" that our immune system fights against and toughens us up. Now the slightest untoward environment and it's fever time. Feels like someone didn't think that through, but W.H.O.?

Back on topic, ugh. My life consist(ed) of mostly working at home, then going to the pub for a chin-wag (chat). That was the pay off for a #ty week lol. That said, when things come back "online", I can think of maybe 2 pubs in our town that will try to social distance people inside them (the 'artisan' ones). The rest are boozers, no-one will give a **** - myself included.

Anyway I liked your point and also wanted to +1 natural immunity, with the "pub" being a perfect place to build that up. That said, I can tell you now the pubs here and the chat inside them is mostly bluster. Rarely does anyone follow up on the things they talk about, but I guess that's cos we all get drunk and forget, and more important things crop up like cooking dinner when we stumble home

edit on 12-5-2020 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
NAILED IT!!!!

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I'm ready for some social engagement at the pub, just need to add a drinking straw of sorts and I'll be good to go. Rack'em up!

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

The bars in my country are hardly bastions of political extremism or rebellion.

More about getting drunk and ogling women while talking about football.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZapBrannigan3030
It popped into my head while responding in another post.

While it probably isn't actually the case, I think given the circumstances, reopening bars might not be so much about people in close proximity as much as it is about interaction.

The local bar, the old watering hole, for the bulk of america, it's like the town hall were people(though neighbors, still "strangers") gather and exchange ideas and forge alliances.

Given the fact that all this has, mostly, for the bulk of the country(especially rural areas) been nothing more than a botched con. The LAST thing you would want is to let a bunch of locals gather together and banter about how big of a screw up this was on a local and especially state level(usually for most states at the hands of a dem governor).

It would literally be opening the flood gates, not in any way for the "disease" to spread, but to basically nuke any state that was in any was close to being a swing.

The last thing you'd want is a bunch of people getting together, having some drinks and solidifying their disdain for their state officials and the anti-freedom garbage they tried to shove down our throats.

I'd wager that the first revolution was largely planned in pubs......

I have been in a ton of bars and the behavior is usually anything but the common people discussing issues. That said, I am all for letting the deniers getting together and talking face to face.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
LOL got to be the funnist post ever so people goto bars to plan revolutions ?
Only thing i ever noticed at bars is all men hitting on Hopfully Drunk women and fighting when ever the mood strikes . The fastest way to stop a rebelian is getting them To drunk to Fight ! lol.
Can see it now .
George is at the Bars falling down drunk in walks Paul . Hey george lest go kill some red coats .

Two hours later George is passed out thus the american revolution never started .

Drunks cant fight lol .

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Age brings perspective. I remember all the time in youth, sitting in pubs with friends, talking about everything and nothing. Our wives and kids at home, also doing nothing.

This pandemic, albeit a real impact on our freedoms, will wind up having some good things come out of it. People will realize how much stupid time they wasted in beer and whiskey , when they could have spent much more time with their significant other and children, nurturing the relationship that everyone wants, and few get to experience.

Nothing wrong with stopping at the pub for a beer.... but how many times did it turn into 5 or 6?

Perspective

top topics

<< 1   >>

join