It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck Drivers Suffer Largest Job Loss On Record After April Bloodbath Leaves 88,300 Unemployed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:41 AM
link   
You have to wonder how the all the King's men (Humpty Dumpty) can put the pieces of this broken economy back together again ? People are not buying stuff like they once were as no money and no jobs makes for serious considerations before going out and about. When I was going to military flight school we were so poor that driving even 20 miles was out of the question and that was back in the 60s. Looking ahead without a crystal ball I wonder how long it will be before some pre-COVID economy returns ?

Unsurprisingly, truck drivers have suffered an absolute bloodbath - losing approximately 88,300 jobs in April alone, according to Business Insider, which notes that it's the largest single-month loss of trucking jobs on record (with records going back to 1990).

www.zerohedge.com...

If the truckers disappear.... good luck (sarc)
edit on 727thk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That surprises me a bit.

I know a couple of people over here in the UK who drove for a living.

Obviously the arse has dropped right of that industry and they were made redundant before the lockdown started.

However they have both got jobs driving for major supermarket chains transporting goods up and down the country.
They tell me that they are desperate for qualified drivers.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 05:36 AM
link   
www.foxbusiness.com...

According to data from freight and analytics firm DAT, rates as of April 30 had fallen to five-year lows for both the reefer and flatbed equipment categories. For dry van freight, the national average was just $1.64 per mile.

In some areas, drivers are being offered rates of less than $1 per mile.

TRUCKERS ASK FOR CORONAVIRUS PHASE-FOUR AID TO HELP BOOST SHIPPING RATES

There is a debate within the industry over whether natural market forces or brokers are to blame for driving rates lower. Brokers help coordinate the transaction between the trucker and the shipper and make a profit margin off of the spread.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Meant to say they used to drive car transporters.

Too late to edit my post.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Spot freight is way down, but contract freight is largely holding steady, with some exceptions. We're seeing some drop in weekly mileage, but part of that is on us refusing to run to certain parts of the country anymore. It also helps that we run reefer freight.

The trucking industry has been losing drivers and companies since last year. Drivers aren't going away any time soon, but we're going to go through some lean times. Regional freight is getting hit pretty good in places though.
edit on 5/10/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/10/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
Greetings, 727Sky,

The Trucking Boards Website confirms what you posted.

However,

We were told, upon the beginning of the coronavirus,
(sorry I didnt save the websites)
of a truck driver shortage in the US, due to high
demand for online orders for goods.
Local news told that Amazon was having
difficulty finding enough new drivers.

Since the beginning of the cronovirus, I've had dozens
of online orders (not just Amazon)
delayed, ostensibly, due to a driver shortage.
We were told that new drivers are urgently needed
to move farm to market and to move medical
supplies to hospitals.

Could it be that a March shortage spiked
and reversed into a driver surplus?

And so, I defer to ATS to sort this out.
Thank you very much.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Adonsa

At the beginning of April, because of all the shortages and emergency loads to resupply places, freight hit somewhere around 4.5. There were 4.5 loads for every available truck across the country. We couldn't run fast enough to keep up, even with the HOS rules being suspended

Two weeks ago, with some production places shut down, spot freight tanked, and loads dropped to 1.3. There's still freight to ship, but instead of being spread through the country, it's clustered into regions, so some markets are getting freight but deadheading trucks out up to 200 miles. Contract freight is still moving, which is a big part of the market right now, with spot freight being in the toilet.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The truckers are kind of like the bees, they move things from place to place so things can keep going.
Is the Rona like the equivalent to murder Hornets to the truckers?

top topics

join