It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hell in the delivery services because of COVID 19

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Look, I know the times are hard and the delivery services are pressed to the tilt and busting their buts.

But it's rough to get delivery nowadays.

UPS, in the old days without a pandemic It was so bad there working as a college kid, I invited my boss outside to settle things Mano-a-mano. He declined and they are so desperate to get workers he didn't even fire me. I had to quit!

So I know their killing folks at UPS and amazon these days because of COVID.

My ratings on delivery services

Best to worse

USPS
AMAZON
UPS
FedEx

So far, I’ve lost about 2 going on three deliveries and have been refunded once by Amazon who sent a package through UPS, and they just out and out and said they delivered it but that was an out and out lie.

UPS is pretty bad but FedEx is the worse by far

Amazon I would give a mixed rating. Their delivery folks are often pretty bad but they try to reimburse the terrible service of their deliverers.

Look, I know these folks are being worked like horses so I guess we have to be understanding because the services are so swamped. I understand that. All I ask for is for them to deliver at the door, after a knock or just call me and Ill go outside to pick up. Don't drop the package in a hallway and then email and say it's delivered.

But they do things like deliver your package in a hallway! Don’t deliver it and say they did. While God knows who walks away with your package.

Fed Ex? They'll say there coming Tuesday and cancel for 4 days straight and then don’t come. So, I have to wait on a phone for a long time to get through. You can’t get through to Amazon or UPS on a phone you have to navigate through their phony online wizards and online chat help which Amazon has a great one if you can find it. They don't advertise it.

Strangely the worse one FedEx actually will answer the phone and that is probably the only way you will get your package in a reasonable time---in a couple of weeks...maybe.

Strangely the best so far is the USPS, since I’ve noticed a very stable and timely delivery of the mail. Suprise there.

But overall it’s in a state of almost delivery anarchy

edit on 9-5-2020 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Very funny! But that’s about the way they do it.

Though at least, that guy delivered something

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I deliver for FedEx Ground. I can tell you that times are absolutely insane. We've added 9 new trucks in the last 45 days with 6 more ordered this week. "Peak" season is nothing compared to what we're experiencing right now. I run a completely rural route consisting of about 100+ stops that spans 5 small towns. I put about 400-450 miles on my truck a day, 6 days a week. I deliver whatever they put on my truck but yeah..it's hell right now. For those of you that live in the boonies, please put your address on both sides of your mailbox or somewhere on the house. Please.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

I sympathize with you. And understand since I've worked in the USPS anytime I wanted as a youth, my uncle was postmaster of WASH DC. And I know its NEVER been this bad.

And at UPS and normal times, it's hectic. I believe you that it's now insane.

At least you guys answer the phone

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Since the pandemic all my deliveries have been fast and on time just like before all this virus bs started. Amazon has been fast and on time, UPS the same and I currently have a shipment from FedEx that is right on schedule. Maybe I'm lucky

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Anathros

I sympathize with you. And understand since I've worked in the USPS anytime I wanted as a youth, my uncle was postmaster of WASH DC. And I know its NEVER been this bad.

And at UPS and normal times, it's hectic. I believe you that it's now insane.

At least you guys answer the phone

Truth is, it doesn't seem like you're asking for much. A knock on the door or a phone call to let you know your package has arrived seems simple enough. Here's the problem. I have on average, about 110 stops. If I stop to call everyone to let them know the package is there, you can estimate about 30 seconds a call and about to same to knock on a door and wait for someone to answer or not answer. That adds over an hour to my already busy day. Add that to my hour + drive to my area and the drive back to the terminal and I'm 3+ hours in before dropping off a single package.

There's just not enough time in the day to cater to everyone.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I'm confused... you list Amazon as a delivery service. Don't they just ship? Every Amazon prime package I have ever gotten has come through UPS or FedEx.

My deliveries have actually improved significantly over the years on all fronts. Back in the early days of the Internet, I ordered a 1 GB hard drive (the old T-Rex oversized drive... back then 1 GB was considered a breakthrough). After tracking it all across the US for a few weeks I put up a page on my Geocities site entitled "The Story of a Hard Drive: How UPS became OOPS" and emailed a link to UPS. I had my drive within two days.

Too bad that doesn't work today.

I have had packages I sent out that had something long and hard shoved through them... they had to have literally been impaled on a metal pole or something (computers don't tend to survive that btw). I have had boxes delivered empty; they had been torn open and then resealed (I guess someone noticed the seal was broken and decided to fix it). I have had packages mangled to the point they weren't so much delivering a package as a collection of confetti taped together into a ball shape.

I finally figured out that it was certain hubs that were the problem. A little complaining seems to have finally fixed most of those problems.

Then I became acquainted with FedEx as their prices became competitive. For a long time, you were lucky if UPS didn't mangle the package, or if FedEx could figure out how to read the address. I had one FedEx package that wound up being delivered to a house a few miles away on a different road. I found out when the guy who lived there looked me up one day when he wasn't busy. It only took an extra week on an overnight delivery.

Lately though, I've had pretty good service from USPS (they have always been good around here), UPS, and FedEx. My biggest complaint is the consistency of the dropoff point. As I sit back off the road, it's fine if they just leave the packages on the front porch (a quick knock on the door is nice, too). Sometimes they did. But more often, they'd play hide and seek with my package. It might be on the front porch, maybe on top of my car, once inside a truck that doesn't run, and for a while it might be in the mailbox (since when does UPS/FedEx use the mailbox? I thought that was a big no-no?). It's gotten better on that front as well, after I managed to open the door while a couple drivers were delivering packages and let them know the front porch was OK. That might be a problem in more urban areas, but out here? Stealing a package off the front porch is considered a form of suicide.

It boils down to this: the problem isn't the service. There are good drivers (I appreciate the hell out of our present UPS driver) and drivers that don't care. There are good warehouse workers, and warehouse workers that want to play tackle football with my packages. Corporate (both UPS and FedEx) could streamline things a little more, but overall they seem to be doing a good job now under extremely trying circumstances. Claims need to be processed much more quickly, and it would be nice to have real-time tracking on packages out for delivery as two examples.

(Incidentally, I still pronounce "UPS" as "oops!" instead of "ewe-pee-ess" or "ups," lol)

TheRedneck

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Amazon has their own delivery fleet now in certain areas. I live in what most would consider BFE, and it wasn't soon after Trump started harping at Bezos for ripping off the USPS we started to get delivery straight from Amazon. I have received a few free items already from the driver dropping of the wrong package. No I didn't just keep them, Amazon told me it wasn't worth them picking it back up so I could keep em.

I can guarantee you the mail delivery people are happy not having all of those Amazon deliveries.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Amazon has their own delivery drivers here and they are generally on the ball. When they deliver they take a pic of my package on the rug in front of my door (leopard print so no mistaking it's MY front door) and it pops up on my phone. They also deliver their own in our two oldest kiddo's cities that I know of (different state). Most everybody else gets delivered by USPS but they deliver Amazon packages even on Sunday per my mother who lives out in the boonies.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Amazon has their own delivery drivers here and they are generally on the ball. When they deliver they take a pic of my package on the rug in front of my door (leopard print so no mistaking it's MY front door) and it pops up on my phone. They also deliver their own in our two oldest kiddo's cities that I know of (different state). Most everybody else gets delivered by USPS but they deliver Amazon packages even on Sunday per my mother who lives out in the boonies.

Amazon drivers -- here is the thing....

My front door opens outward. You can see this if you look at the door, but regardless... They put large heavy packages against the door. Numerous times I've had to go out of the back, hop the fence, walk around the front to move a package so I could open my door.

So, I know you're thinking -- well how often can you get a package that blocks the door? True, but it's still problematic with smaller packages. The door will sweep the package right off the landing, or the door will swing right over the package and you'll step on your package.

If you're a delivery driver -- DO NOT PUT PACKAGES IN FRONT OF DOORS. Don't be an idiot, please.

Never had this happen with UPS, USPS, or FedEx. Only Amazon drivers -- and they all do it, every time; even when I have a note taped to my door to NOT do it.
edit on 10-5-2020 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
So I know their killing folks at UPS and amazon these days because of COVID.

Make stupid nonsensical statements much?

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

(Incidentally, I still pronounce "UPS" as "oops!" instead of "ewe-pee-ess" or "ups," lol)

Funny you say that... we've done the same for years.

OOPS = Obviously Obsolete Postal Service.

edit on 10-5-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapTheGinkels

What state are you in. The heavily affected states Amazon is way behind.

Prime members sometimes take 2 weeks

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I'm in Jersey man and there are Amazon trucks all over.

They even stopped delivering through FedEx. They still use UPS and even the USPS on occasion. In Jersey, so near the epicenter NY even Prime members (one two day delivery) sometimes now takes weeks!

You cant hardly get a food delivery at all. Its the difference between a highly infected state and a low infected state, big difference.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Wow, I had no idea they had launched their own delivery service. Around here, deliveries are made by a third party contractor: UPS, FedEx, and occasionally USPS.

I guess there's not enough people here to make it profitable... actually, I'm surprised there's enough people out here to make the third parties profitable!

Thanks for the update.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

They give I think a 10 grand loan to people who want to get an Amazon Mercedes truck and become one of their deliverers

logistics.amazon.com...

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Sounds more like $10K down to finance an Amazon van and get access to their network.

That's a little like some trucking companies do: they'll lease you a truck and supply the freight loads. Of course, in many of those cases they'll lease you the truck, keep you loaded until close to the end of the lease (they are usually lease-to-own), then back off on the loads to get you to default. They then take the truck back, run it through the shop, and re-lease it to another driver. Seen it happen plenty of times.

Not saying Amazon does that... they likely don't. I'm sure there's a catch or two in there somewhere though.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

As a Uk member it is shocking to read how bad the postal service is in the USA , as i have ordered a few things from the states and they have arrived quickly with no hassle and were a fair size and weight ditto with parcels from Germany etc all arrived super quick and with no extra surcharge for where i live

The parcel service and post are excellent here , if you are not at home they will leave with a neighbor and put a card through your door or at a local store/shop for you to collect and it is rare for things to go missing But my gripe is with zip/post code racism as very few stores in the Uk online will post to the highlands or they want a arm and leg for doing so , i live in a city but you would think i lived in Brigadoon en.wikipedia.org...(film) i am within 10 minutes walk of 4-5 parcel firms yards including UPS 5 minutes walk from a station and 10 minutes drive to a airport but i may as well live in outer Mongolia

But all i get is Mainland Uk only like i live on a island
it is easier to order something from Germany post free than it is from London

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Yep I'd rate the USPS as the best - but it has been beaten down since the 2006 "Postal Modernation Act" (I think) that requires it to fully fund it's pension obligations in advance for the next 70 years. Somehting no company or government entity has ever done. Now this administration wants to kill it dead because of some bad blood between #45 and Amazon which serves the hopes of the privatizers.

As to Amazon - they use USPS, FedEx and UPS as well as their own - gig drivers. I think they would like to see the USPS gone as well.

UPS - isn't so bad - I've always had really good luck with them and am sorry to hear that you disagree.

The problem with all these services is that Covid-19 has taken it's toll on driviers and sorters alike. Companies had no protective gear for their workers and .... I know UPS people and they have proper 'brown' masks and gloves. As to the USPS - nope - got nothing unless you bring it from home. The others I don't know.

DHL is supposedly the best worldwide but I haven't had much luck.

Yes - please support the USPS - now more than ever. It is in the US constitution and is fully self supporting except for the rock put around their neck by anti-union folk.

Boycott AMAZON.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join