It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VE day - 08 MAY 1945 - lest we forget . 75 years on

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Lol. It tolk me a couple days to get the piss tsking art. Subtley is the key. The wifes ex was a farmer in the war. He used to tell me stories of counting the bombers back in at Duxford. Some sad times seeing B17's shot to hell and back. Not to mention two mustangd collided and fell in his field during a training mission.

And he had an Italian prisoner of war camp on the farm. Apparently the local ladies used to engage in a bit of, ummm,errr, fence sex.

a reply to: Freeborn

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777
How do people move on, if they are being reminded every year??

There are some things you can't move on from, because they need to be remembered in order to try and prevent them happening again.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

If World War Two were a bar fight:

After the last bar fight, America decides that he needs to be the bartender and the bouncer and moves behind the bar. Germany comes to and sees everyone drinking with his money and sees Austria sitting in the corner by himself.

Germany, angry that Britain, France, and America took his wallet grabs Austria and makes him stand next to him. Germany then does the same to Czechoslovakia.

On the other side of the room, Japan punches China. After a while, America tells them to knock it off. Germany signs a bar napkin telling Britain that he is done moving people over to his side of the room. Germany sucker punches Poland, claiming that Poland started it. Russia says he will help and ends up punching Poland from the other side.

France and Britain begin swinging at Germany. Germany pushes Britain through the door and knocks him into the pool.

France is also shoved through the door, but comes back in wearing a new beret and decides to hang out with Germany. For no apparent reason, Russia slaps Finland. Italy gets into a fight over the toys in the sandbox out back, gets a bloody nose and cries to Germany for help.

Germany and Britain get into a tug of war over Italy’s sandbox. Britain and Germany begin throwing rocks at each others’ houses. Because Russia helped him with beating up Poland, Germany sucker punches Russia. While everybody is looking at Germany and Britain, Japan puts China into a headlock and begins punching his head. America tells Japan to knock it off and tells him he’s had too much to drink and he’s cut off.

Japan jumps over the bar and punches America. And Britain. And France. And the Netherlands. Germany shakes his fist at America and makes a rude noise. America jumps into Germany’s sandbox and falls flat on his ass. Italy laughs at him.
Because America is mad at Germany, America punches Italy. America, Canada, and Britain rip off France’s new beret and punch Germany. America, Britain and Australia gang up and start shoving Japan back into a corner on the other side of the room. Germany taps America on the shoulder and says, “What’s that over there in the snow?” Then he kicks America in the behind when he’s not looking.

Everyone piles on Germany until he passes out.

America hits Japan in the face with a baseball bat like Capone did in “The Untouchables”. Twice. As Japan is on his way to the floor, Russia shakes his fist at Japan, pretending that he’s joined the fight and hoping that he’ll be able to go through Japan’s wallet after the fight’s over.

After Japan and Germany wake up, America, France, Britain, and Russia move into Germany’s House. America moves into Japan’s house, too. America buys drinks for Germany and Japan until everyone is happy again.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Amen.

...and no, no citation needed.

On VE-day, my late Father was on Okinawa, as was one Uncle on my Mom's side.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

If by "moving on" you mean forgetting??

No. Because forgetting means the odds of repeating this become lessened.

You learn, and keep learning, so that another global war doesn't happen.

So, no, you don't "move on" by forgetting. You move on by remembering that many young men and women, old men and women, and children died for other overweening pride and prejudices.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Amen.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

There is EVERY need to keep on reminding people about WWII and remembering and honouring those who fought and those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

If ever there was a just war it was WWII and the fight against Hitler and the Nazi's.

The people who fought for our nation(s), our freedom and our very existence deserve our utmost respect.
And we owe them an enormous debt of gratitude.

They were brave, resilient people who resisted tyranny and helped shape the world we live in today.

Without them you would not be able to spout your selfish, snowflake bollocks on here or anywhere else.

I only hope we never have to rely on the likes of you in the future.

I was lucky enough to work with people who fought in WWII; Desert Rats who fought Rommel in the desert, paratroppers who saw action in Arnhem. In my very first job on leaving school I worked with a man who was in the first group of soldiers who entered Belsen....his vivid recollection remains with me to this day.
I knew people who were held in P.O.W. camps in both the European arena and in the far east.

Over the years I've met quite a few who served, unfortunately they've all passed and can no longer retell their stories first hand.
We owe it to them to remember their service and relate their stories for them in an effort to ensure it never happens again.

We need to remember the horror of war and learn as much as we can from it in order to minimise the chance of such a large scale global war ever occurring again.

Do you really think the leaders of this world have learnt anything from past wars???

Most want another war... we almost had a nuclear war!

No point in dwelling on past wars... just move on and get over it...

It happened.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777
How do people move on, if they are being reminded every year??

There are some things you can't move on from, because they need to be remembered in order to try and prevent them happening again.

But the saying is: In order to move on, we need to forget.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

VE day.................. A day to celebrate for sure with the most moral war ever fought by Britain and her allies Russia and America while at the same time a day to reflect on the horrors to come for those in Europe where the savagery was not over and in many cases only just beginning. A day also to reflect on how NOT to treat your enemy post WW1 as if you kick the sh"* out of any injured animal Versailles style when it recovers it sure gonna be up for settling scores and biting ya back. But Them Germans coul hae bitten back fairly but they really went below the belt by taking it out on minorities, Homosexuals, Lesbieos, Gypsieos, Jewish, Commies, Deformaties, they ere a nasty bunch of people.............................. Then again as it really the state's people? More like a very small group evil bunch of hell raisers who had the fortune to take over what was, at that time, the most modern of the civilised world in terms of art, musical, architectural, etc in a period of economic catastrophe where those same people from that same state were literally starving n the streets and cooking up grass to survive.

These people the Germans who were are celebrating defeating on those actual day were surely as much of a victim as the rest of the victims of WW2? They were brain washed by the Evil top broad shouldered MSM of the time into dong what they were told was the righ thing to do and what was EXPECTED of them

In many ways it is time on VE day to remember the victory over evil doers but also remember the victims on all sides in WW2

In addition on this day we in Britain French, The States, Soviets were really celebrating the crushing of the enemy. At the same time on this very day an evil was being unfolded on communities of Germans (outside of what is now the border) maybe 20 million totally innocent culturally German people who were subjected to a terror that continued well into the 1960's and resulted in the greatest human migraton in the history of the world until very recently. The real stinker is those German speaking ancient Baltic Yugo Romanian Polish Magyar Volgar communities had existed for as long as back in the day and were in most cases eliminated / in many cases executed from any future in those lands.................. All because some scum who originated in the most part Austria and Bavaria commited a horror show
and condemned these innocents to the revenge of their victims. To all the innocent German people murdered and uprooted by these scum who came from Bavaria and Austria we remember you

Also to the central Europan Jewsish communities who, just like the central European German communities were also hunted down by the Slavs and Magyars............. Those same people who even after the Holocaust still numbered a fair few million in the east, those same Jews just like the Germans VE day meant very little in that part of Europe occupied by the Soviets, many returned to their homes and were murdered by the new Slav occupiers. Pogroms were widespread in Poland for years post WW2, even after the Holocaust Polands Jewish pop was as large as Britain's today, but those people were STILL fighting the war being hunted down by the Slavs ironically alongside the Germans who were also eing hunted down too by the same Slavs. You couldn't make it up.

At the same time as we celebrated in the West the horrors were only starting to be inflicted on the people of occupied Germany within the borders as we know it today, especially by the Soyvets and also by the French who took terrible revenge too on the surviving people largely just innocents caught up in the horrors of war pretrated by and brainwashed by those B*$TARD$ AT THE TOP

Remember them all as well as our own. They were all victims

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Blimey!

We have idiots today making all kinds of weapons... Biological ones too...

This only tells me that there are people in this World who want more wars, otherwise why experiment with Chemicals??

We have Nations holding Nuclear bombs, what do you think they are for?? They ain't sitting there to look shiny or arty, they are there for a reason... and someone one day is gonna let one loose.
edit on 8-5-2020 by CrazeeWorld777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Thank you to all the great men and women who granted us the ability to be free

If your relatives served/lived thru the War I send my respects and love
edit on 8-5-2020 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

How many wars have there been since WWII??

Does it look like anyone learnt anything???

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Actually the Third Reich and Nazi party never surrendered.

Only the German Armed Forces surrendered so under law the Nazis are still around and fighting.

'On May 7, 1945, the German High Command, in the person of General Alfred Jodl, signs the unconditional surrender of all German forces, East and West, at Reims, in northeastern France.'

www.history.com...

Berlin Declaration (1945)
Nevertheless, as the surrender instrument of 8 May 1945 had been signed only by German military representatives, the full civil provisions for the unconditional surrender of Germany remained without explicit formal basis. Consequently, the EAC text for Unconditional Surrender of Germany, redrafted as a declaration and with an extended explanatory preamble, was adopted unilaterally by the now four Allied Powers as the Declaration regarding the defeat of Germany on 5 June 1945.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420

I been saying the same thing about racism /slavery. They should teach that stuff in college not grade school. It just keeps it rolling teaching them at a young age about it.

Yes I agree.

Why keep telling people about it? Will just keep harvesting the hate over and over.

Everytime I read about some film coming out about slavery or racism.. I just think 'here we go again' and I don't bother to watch it. I'm pretty sure they do it just to keep people angry.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Have any of those shiney weapons been used other than in very limited, though horrific, fashion?

No. Why do you suppose that is?

Because of lessons learned from the past. Y'know, those lessons you seem so bound, and determined, to ignore...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

That's right, lets just forget about or simply ignore all the nasty things that have happened in the world.

To make a better future we need to understand the past and what happened to make the world the way it is today.
And we need to understand human nature and why 'we' do the things we do.

Lessons have to be learnt from the past.

Each of us do this in our own lives, learning from our life experiences and acting accordingly.
Sure, we # up sometimes and repeat the same mistakes over and over again. That's because we are human. But we try to learn and understand.

Unless of course we are consumed with arrogance and believe 'we' know better than our forefathers and don't even need to know what they did and why they did what they did.

None of that even begins to go into the reasons we owe these people a particular debt of gratitude that can not be repaid.

Sure, there have been wars since but nothing on the scale of WWII.....lets hope it stays that way.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Remembering isnt celebrating. We MUST learn lessons.. they may not be all sweeping lessons but incrementally we may learn enough to prevent the atrocities of the past.

Benghazi. Think about that recently? You should. Lessons to be learned. When things are forgotten.. they repeat. We are a species with repeated fits of amnesia. We need to be reminded.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   

YAY - The Allies defeated fascism in Europe.

Who's going to defeat the fascism in the United States of America?

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   

God bless the people who toiled, fought, and perished to maintain our way of life, they done a Mans job and then some.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Do you live here in the States? If so...do you own a mirror??

If so, there's your answer. It's the same answer for all of us that live here.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join